Hi, I'm a total guitar virgin. I've done my reading though, and identified a good beginner guitar for my small budget (Schecter Omen Extreme-6).

I know that if I take good care of it I should be able to resell the guitar if something doesn't work out or I'm ready to upgrade.

So, should I buy an older model of the same guitar (still new) and save a few bucks, or wait for the 2015 to be available in a few weeks? I want it to still be valuable for reselling.

Also, do I need to have it on a guitar stand? Or will it be OK carefully stood in a corner or laid on a shelf? I'm not a klutz but I want to take care of it!
Nothing wrong with buying the older guitar to save some money. You may want to look at used guitars to get a better guitar for the same money you will spend on a new one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It is harder to know what is good for a beginner in nicer guitars. Most articles about guitars for beginners target the low budget arena. I can get an Omen for $250-360. This is pretty comfortable for me. I'm looking for 24 fret and easy action.

I'm not aiming at professional guitar, I just want to have fun. Any way I can make learning easier should be helpful!
Quote by downplay
It is harder to know what is good for a beginner in nicer guitars. Most articles about guitars for beginners target the low budget arena. I can get an Omen for $250-360. This is pretty comfortable for me. I'm looking for 24 fret and easy action.

I'm not aiming at professional guitar, I just want to have fun. Any way I can make learning easier should be helpful!

Any decent guitar can be set-up to play good and have low action.

For $300-350 you can get some really nice used guitars that would cost $500-$700ish new and if you do sell later you won't loose any money in most cases.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, if I start looking for "nicer" guitars that are used and don't particularly have a specific newbie recommendation, searching goes from a simple to a complex decision.

I don't know about how well they age, whether they should be made in Mexico, or even how to narrow down which models have 24 frets and no FR without doing a ton of searching!
Last edited by downplay at Jan 3, 2015,
^ justinguitar (online and free, though he accepts donations) is very good for lessons

unless the newer model has features which you'd prefer (or even is available in a nicer colour), or you have reason to believe the older model is in poorer condition, go for the older model to save money. guitars aren't like most consumer products, there isn't really planned obsolescence built-in like with most other consumer products.

EDIT: yeah if you're not careful you can get bogged down in searching.

some of the ibanez rgs have no trem. e.g. the rg421.

some jacksons have no trem too.

ditto esp/ltd.

they're probably the big 3 metal/hard rock manufacturers (in addition to schecter).

it's hard to generalise, and you should judge each guitar on its own merits (hard when new), but generally speaking USA/Japan/Europe are at the top of the tree for guitar-making countries (though there's a lot of variation within that), then Korea or Mexico, then China or Indonesia. That's a gross overgeneralisation, though. And it doesn't mean that those cheaper countries can't make nice guitars, it's that they're making them cheaper to hit a price point. so you can't really expect them to be as good.

EDIT: i'd be a bit wary about buying used if you're a new player. Unless you have a guitar playing friend (who's not full of it, a lot are in my experience ) whom you trust to check the guitars out for you etc. and teach you how to set them up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 3, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ justinguitar (online and free, though he accepts donations) is very good for lessons

they're probably the big 3 metal/hard rock manufacturers (in addition to schecter)

That helps a lot! I don't particularly need a metal guitar, I think I'm looking more for a rock guitar. The Schecter model was recommended for a beginner, got good marks in its review for looks, build quality, staying in tune, etc.

How about something like a Gibson SGJ? The guitar center ad says it has "medium-jumbo" frets. That would be good for a newb, requiring less pressure, right? And its made in the USA
what do you mean by "rock"? bands i mean. doesn't matter massively, when i said "hard rock/metal" i just meant more towards the more modern type of heavier stuff. but if when you say "rock" you mean more classic stuff then something more in the classic style like a gibson or similar might be a better idea.

I haven't got round to trying the SGJs yet... you sort of hear conflicting things about the cheaper gibsons. some people like them and think they're great, some people think they've cut too many corners in the manufacture and you can kind of tell.

i don't think the medium jumbo fret thing really affects the amount of pressure needed, for what it's worth.

just be careful with online reviews as well, you don't know who's writing them and how knowledgeable they are. especially with beginner-quality guitars, odds are the reviewer is a beginner.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You're a beginner, best thing I'd do is go to a guitar store if you can. Sit down with a few guitars and just hold them and wrap your fingers around them and see what you like and then buy that one and then get it set up and so on.

Personally I'd avoid trems here.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
oh yeah, to answer one of the earlier questions (i forgot earlier) a stand is probably safer than leaning it against a wall etc., though a stand can also be knocked over. But probably a bit safer, yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?