hey guys,

i currently play a les paul studio through a fender blues deluxe reissue amp, which is a great amp. Now because of circumstances i play on two different locations so i want to buy another amp to play at home.

Size: bigger than a roland cube, but smaller than the fender blues deluxe.
Type of amp: doesn't really matter, as long as i can get a good sound out of it with my les paul (and effect pedals) i'm happy.
Price range: under 500 euros (more or less)

Style: i'd like a very nice clean sound which combines well with pedals. overdrive channel is cool and all, but that's not the most important thing i like a lot of guitarists from frusciante to slash.. so i want to be able to play a les paul on it, but a tele as well

any suggestions?
thanks already
Last edited by Thomas_enzu at Jan 3, 2015,
hmm i don't know, they're great amps, but sometimes i've got a difficult time getting a good les paul sound out of the fender blues..
look for a silverface bassman/twin or somthing.

i bought a Music Man HD 130 combo (late 70's). sounds great. it has an SS pre and a tube power amp. 300USD

can't beat it though IMO except for the weight (just put it on a cart or wheels).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Thomas_enzu
hmm i don't know, they're great amps, but sometimes i've got a difficult time getting a good les paul sound out of the fender blues..

thats what strats and teles are for. lol.

i played blues on tons of amps, a LP can do great. but a strat or tele may be what you like for blues.

______

my personal favorite blues tone is a neck pickup on a tele through the 1974x.

my LP does better with orange for the blues.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
When I think of Les Paul sound, I immediately think Marshall. I own a Blues Junior and would recommend it, but if you aren't digging it a whole lot with the Deluxe have a look at the Marshall DSL15C. I think they'll be a bit more expensive than your budget, but I play with a guy who has the head version and it's great. I'd say you could get a nice classic LP sound out of it.
Yes I know my fender amp is more for a tele, that's why i'm getting one
so maybe i should look into a marshall? which models are good for practicing but not too heavy?

Wow, Nathan, the DSL15C might just as well be exactly what i need! i'm gonna check some reviews of it. How would that one sound with a tele, just out of curiosity?
Well i've watched some reviews of the DSL15C and i must say the overdrive is insane, but the clean channel is a bit disappointing. It's very soft, and not that clean either. Does anyone have experience with it?

most of these marshall amps (the smaller ones as well) sound pretty distorted on the clean channel as well
Last edited by Thomas_enzu at Jan 4, 2015,
the vypers sound like great amps, but i actually prefer an amp that doesn't have effects built-in, but has a very warm and high quality standard sound, and then get effects from pedals.

i'm currently looking at the marshall dsl15c, the smaller fender tubes (and the peavey vypers).

thanks for your help everyone
Quote by Thomas_enzu
Well i've watched some reviews of the DSL15C and i must say the overdrive is insane, but the clean channel is a bit disappointing. It's very soft, and not that clean either. Does anyone have experience with it?

most of these marshall amps (the smaller ones as well) sound pretty distorted on the clean channel as well

Yes I believe they are more gain-focused than clean. Keep in mind though that smaller wattage tube amps will break up and overdrive quicker than larger ones.
If I were you I'd try one and see how they sound in person. If you do try one roll back the volume on your guitar a few notches, that'll clean up the amp a bit more. To me the cleans sounded alright, Id just add a bit of reverb.
Quote by nathan:-)
Yes I believe they are more gain-focused than clean. Keep in mind though that smaller wattage tube amps will break up and overdrive quicker than larger ones.
If I were you I'd try one and see how they sound in person. If you do try one roll back the volume on your guitar a few notches, that'll clean up the amp a bit more. To me the cleans sounded alright, Id just add a bit of reverb.

I forgot about that, you're right
i'm gonna try the marshall out, and see what i think.
thanks for the tips, really useful
WOW guys, what about the blackstar HT-5R? i'm not sure what the difference is with the ht-5c though
get a DSL combo. you will be happy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Thomas_enzu
WOW guys, what about the blackstar HT-5R? i'm not sure what the difference is with the ht-5c though

Pretty lousy in my opinion, but you might like them. Maybe what you ought to look at is a Vox AC15? Great clean tone, different flavor than the Fender, it still has an awesome drive sound as well.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Pretty lousy in my opinion, but you might like them. Maybe what you ought to look at is a Vox AC15? Great clean tone, different flavor than the Fender, it still has an awesome drive sound as well.

the vox seems great as well! but it looks quite a bit heavier than the blackstar or the marshall. but i must say i really like the clean tone on the voxes
i've managed to borrow a marshall MG15 CD for the time being, it's actually a damn good amp for home practice
Quote by Thomas_enzu
i've managed to borrow a marshall MG15 CD for the time being, it's actually a damn good amp for home practice

get your ears checked.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
If you are looking for something that has a nice clean tone and can take a les paul as well I might throw out the Traynor CV20 http://traynoramps.com/guitar/ycv/product/ycv20wr/ has a nice clean channel and can also dial in a nice bit of dirt on the clean. I am not crazy about the overdrive channel but it sounds like you are mostly using pedals for that anyway. Also comes with a celestion greenback. It has a nice warm sound with a sparkly top end. New they are over your budget but I have seen some used for $300-$400.
Quote by Thomas_enzu
hey guys,

i currently play a les paul studio through a fender blues deluxe reissue amp, which is a great amp. Now because of circumstances i play on two different locations so i want to buy another amp to play at home.

Size: bigger than a roland cube, but smaller than the fender blues deluxe.
Type of amp: doesn't really matter, as long as i can get a good sound out of it with my les paul (and effect pedals) i'm happy.
Price range: under 500 euros (more or less)

Style: i'd like a very nice clean sound which combines well with pedals. overdrive channel is cool and all, but that's not the most important thing i like a lot of guitarists from frusciante to slash.. so i want to be able to play a les paul on it, but a tele as well

any suggestions?
thanks already

Want a great amp for playing your LP? Get one of the new Marshall DSL40C combo amps. It is only like a hundred more than the DSL15 and it has the loop and other features. The DSL15 does not have the mojo of the DSL40C. I have played the 15 and own the DSL40C, which is my every day amp.

My DSL40C has a great clean channel, actually two different voices; clean and clean crunch. Clean crunch is really cool. The clean is not like the crystal clear clean on my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, but it's not supposed to be - it's a Marshall. The DSL40C has two drive voices as well. It has EL34 power tubes and I think they sound way better than the DSL15, by far.

Les Pauls and Marshalls go really well together, so be prepared for that.

I would get the bigger Marshall DSL40C because it has more clean headroom, which is important to you, plus it sounds good turned down to "stay at home" playing levels. It is an awesome amp and probably could be considered a "real" amp when compared to the DSL15. I don't suppose that is a good analogy, but the DSL40C is so much more of an amp in terms of sound and tone that they are in totally different categories.

Plenty of people use the DSL40C as a "stay at home" amp. It works good for that, and you can crank it up now and then without it getting all muddy.

I'd say to buy a real good half way decent amp in the first place and be done with it. You will be happier in the long run.

Good luck.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
DuffB, I do really love the sound of the marshalls, but i was wondering: they always say an amp sounds at his best at a medium to high volume. So if i'm planning to use it a lot at home, i'll probably have to turn it down quite a lot. That's the same problem i have with my blues deluxe, when i use it at home, i have to put it really silent, but the sound isn't good at a low volume
The new DSL's are rubbish. Look for a JCM2000 DSL401 made after 2003.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The new DSL's are rubbish. Look for a JCM2000 DSL401 made after 2003.

Incorrect. Living in the past.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Quote by Thomas_enzu
DuffB, I do really love the sound of the marshalls, but i was wondering: they always say an amp sounds at his best at a medium to high volume. So if i'm planning to use it a lot at home, i'll probably have to turn it down quite a lot. That's the same problem i have with my blues deluxe, when i use it at home, i have to put it really silent, but the sound isn't good at a low volume

Unlike the Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe, etc., the Marshall DSL40C has a lot of control at lower volumes and sounds good at lower volumes. Each channel has a gain and volume control - so each channel has its own master volume. You also have the reserve power to provide you with good headroom and power when you want it to get a certain sound with the volume turned down and the gain turned up.

The Marshall DSL40C also has a half power switch to bring it down to 20 watts.

I'm sure that you may be able to find some great lower volume amps.
20 watts isn't gonna be anywhere near "lower volume".

you have to turn virtually every tube amp ever made down for home volumes. that's the problem. Buying a slightly lower wattage amp (or one with a lower wattage setting, unless that setting is well under one watt) isn't going to achieve anything, really.

they sound better turned up but at home volumes there's going to be a level of compromise almost nomatter what you use, so the trick is to find what sounds best to you at those volumes.

I mean, you don't always drive your car at full speed. Sometimes you have to be practical. But you wouldn't buy a car either that was only capable of 30mph if you mostly did urban driving either. (That might not be completely analogous.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 25, 2015,
You need a power switch? With a DSL401, you just pull two tubes. I've played some new DSL's, I wasn't impressed. Asian junk. Sitting next to a British JCM2000, they just sound cheap. TS, find a British Marshall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I am reconsidering my comment in which i stated my marshall mg 15cd sounds pretty good. it actually doesn't anymore haha. After reading all the comments, i think i can conclude that the bigger DSL40C will have a good clean channel at reasonable volumes, so i'm definitely going to try one! I'm going to try the 15 watt and the 40, i'm not quite sure yet which one would be better.
Unfortunately i can't find a place in belgium where they sell traynor amps, so that's gonna be hard to try out
Quote by Thomas_enzu
I am reconsidering my comment in which i stated my marshall mg 15cd sounds pretty good. it actually doesn't anymore haha. After reading all the comments, i think i can conclude that the bigger DSL40C will have a good clean channel at reasonable volumes, so i'm definitely going to try one! I'm going to try the 15 watt and the 40, i'm not quite sure yet which one would be better.
Unfortunately i can't find a place in belgium where they sell traynor amps, so that's gonna be hard to try out

I would totally buy the "new" DSL40C, like mine, with a warranty.

A lot of people think it is a design improvement over the old UK versions, such as previously mentioned. The UK ones are definitely decent, but I'd buy new and probably not pay any more than the used ones are going for. I wonder how many of those used ones are from dudes that upgraded to the new DSL series amps that are supposed to be improved designs? I like the UK real wood enclosure though. I'd still buy new and your amp is probably going to be stationary, a stay at home item, mostly.

You can't listen to all that UK propaganda. A lot of these guys are mono minded about this whole deal and have no respect for the Asian stuff. You have to look at the facts I guess, and definitely buy what you want; be that Asian or UK or whatever.
Alright, the new DSL40C is on the top my list. But what Dave said really makes sense, i really like the sound of tube amps, but some say they aren't suited for home use, because at normal volumes, it doesn't sound right. So i'm kind of confused i'm going to a guitar shop tomorrow and ask some advice
Quote by Thomas_enzu
Alright, the new DSL40C is on the top my list. But what Dave said really makes sense, i really like the sound of tube amps, but some say they aren't suited for home use, because at normal volumes, it doesn't sound right. So i'm kind of confused i'm going to a guitar shop tomorrow and ask some advice

People who automagically assume tube amps sound worse at lower volume because they are tube amps are idiots, end of story.

Here's the deal. Tube amps DO sound better cranked up a bit. So does EVERY OTHER AMP. (Unless it's total POS).

Why?

Because that's how our ears work. We LIKE loud sounds. (There's a whole "science of" thing I could go into, but you can look that up if it interests you.)

Bottom line is simply that some amps sound better than others at lower volumes and sometimes they are tube amps and sometimes not.

If home use volume is really of primary concern, a good amp modeler and a good set of headphones is the right answer.

It really is just that easy.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^+1

When I said 20 watts wasn't going to be anywhere near "lower volume", I didn't mean not to buy a tube amp- I meant not to let the fact the dsl had a "lower power setting" cloud your judgement, because it's not lowering the power enough to have any meaningful improvement in getting down to bedroom volumes (plus an awful lot of the time lower power settings just sound "worse" than the higher power setting with the volume turned down, anyway).

I'm not saying not to get tube amps for home use- I use tube amps at home (I don't share any walls with neighbours, though). I also got a little vox mini3 (ss/digital modeller) a while back, and as arby rightly says, it sounds better turned up a bit, too.

You basically just have to try everything you can at the exact volume level you'll be playing at (and that's pretty difficult, because a guitar shop will likely be bigger than your bedroom, which'll make things seem quieter) and see which sounds and feels best to you. We can give you some tips, of course, as to what you should think of trying. And there are some tricks as well (using OD pedals as a boost for tube amps, for example).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911
People who automagically assume tube amps sound worse at lower volume because they are tube amps are idiots, end of story.

Here's the deal. Tube amps DO sound better cranked up a bit. So does EVERY OTHER AMP. (Unless it's total POS).

Why?

Because that's how our ears work. We LIKE loud sounds. (There's a whole "science of" thing I could go into, but you can look that up if it interests you.)

Bottom line is simply that some amps sound better than others at lower volumes and sometimes they are tube amps and sometimes not.

If home use volume is really of primary concern, a good amp modeler and a good set of headphones is the right answer.

It really is just that easy.

could we stickey this at the top? seriously. watts= volume.

that is the truth.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Hey, stop what you're doing and go buy one of the newer Peavey Valvekings right now and come back with a jubilant NAD thread.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Hey, stop what you're doing and go buy one of the newer Peavey Valvekings right now and come back with a jubilant NAD thread.

I think this is good, prudent, but ragingly good advice. Those are some very decent amps. Hartley Peavey is a very smart man and has been around music equipment for a long time.

I have some real nice Peavey guitars and amps.