Hi I've been playing for a couple years now and have recently thought about my left hand a bit more, namely my thumb. I was wondering if there is a specific way the thumb should be placed on the neck.

Any ideas?
Wherever you need it and it feels right to you I think. I sometimes have mine round the back when soloing or over the E string for some chords etc.
Soft pad of the thumb on the neck, ready to pivot.

What's more important is keeping your fretting hand wrist straight.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by Panasonic3
Soft pad of the thumb on the neck, ready to pivot.

What's more important is keeping your fretting hand wrist straight.

I tried your advice and it actually seems to have made a difference, especially in classical position. I'm going to try moving into doing this, less thumb movement = less potential damage to the thumb right?

Thanks much!
i dont think one should worry about wrist angle and and how to position your thumb the pros dont seem to have to think about that thats like saying you should hold your wrist straight when holding a pencil who really does that or think about that lol just keep a connection between your thumb and the neck imo
Quote by Twidler
Wherever you need it and it feels right to you I think. I sometimes have mine round the back when soloing or over the E string for some chords etc.

Same. It really depends on what you are playing. I use my thumb to mute the E string for some chords where it's really the only way to mute the string (A minor being the obvious example). There are also some chords where you actually fret the low E-string note with your thumb, and Jimi Hendrix famously used his thumb for 6th string root barre chords instead of barring across all the strings with his index finger. He did have huge hands though.

I would never have my thumb up that high during a solo though. Any time I don't need to fret or mute the low-E string with my thumb I tend to have my thumb towards the middle of the neck.
Thumb position makes a big difference when you need strength (bends towards bass string). Here, you need thumb over neck (squeezing towards fingers doing the bend)

Legato is usually more fluid with thumb behind neck (nearish thickest part of neck), but need to move a little depending on strings involved. Thumb typically lines up somewhere nearish where 2nd finger is on neck (but this really is a matter of personal preference and comfort). But legato should be achievable with thumb not even touching the neck at all (i.e. not much energy comes from thumb).

Need to able to smoothly move between both thumb usages.

cheers, Jerry