Does anyone know any weird or unusual chord progressions which sound good? I just want to increase my mind's chord progression library for improvising riffs. Thanks
"Weird or unusual" is very vague though. There are certain chord progressions that would be very "weird or unusual' for some genres while being pretty run-of-the-mill in others. For example... a chord progression like Em-G#m-Em-G#m-Cm-G#m-Cm-G#m would sound very out of the ordinary in many genres but would sound perfectly normal in black metal.

You really need to be more specific about what you are looking for.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
E major add flat5, E minor, D major add flat 5, G major, B Flat major major 7 add Aug4, f minor 6, d minor, e major.

8 chords total I like to play it slow. All the chords before the g major I play on the 4 bottom strings, the rest I play in open position. Make it into whatever you want it is a very moving chord progression.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

I like chord progressions that stray away from the normal 4 or 8 chord format. I remember writing a 5 chord progression going F#m, G#/D diminished, Bm7, Gmajor7 (I like to think of it as a B5/G) and C#5. Works good for prog, especially with polymeters.
"Weird or unusual" is very vague though. There are certain chord progressions that would be very "weird or unusual' for some genres while being pretty run-of-the-mill in others. For example... a chord progression like Em-G#m-Em-G#m-Cm-G#m-Cm-G#m would sound very out of the ordinary in many genres but would sound perfectly normal in black metal.

You really need to be more specific about what you are looking for.

Anything apart from the standard C F Am G. I'm hoping people will just post up some chord progressions I haven't thought of and I can experiment with them. Thanks for progressions already posted by the way.
random tone cluster - random tone cluster - random tone cluster - random tone cluster

makes for some awesome stuff
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
These might be abit of a cliché in the jazz/fusion world, but i like them anyways.

Two chord vamp between two Dorian sounds, for example Gm7 for two bars, then Ebm9 for two bars.

Playing a substitution for the V in a ii-V-I is nice aswell, like Dm9-Dbmaj9-Cmaj7-Cmaj7.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by cactus-dude
Anything apart from the standard C F Am G. I'm hoping people will just post up some chord progressions I haven't thought of and I can experiment with them. Thanks for progressions already posted by the way.

Try using non-diatonic chord progressions. For example... playing all major chords at symmetrical intervals. Try something like C-F# or C-D#-F# or C-E-G#. It sounds very... I don't know really. I would describe it as sounding almost scifi-ish sounding. Like from some 1970s movie about exploring the vasts depths... of space!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Don't use any chords with a name.

What if the chord is name Elektra or Prometheus or Steven?
Quote by Jimjambanx
I like chord progressions that stray away from the normal 4 or 8 chord format. I remember writing a 5 chord progression going F#m, G#/D diminished, Bm7, Gmajor7 (I like to think of it as a B5/G) and C#5. Works good for prog, especially with polymeters.

Thanks a lot this is a pretty cool progression
Quote by cactus-dude
Thanks a lot this is a pretty cool progression

Goes really good with a 9/8 riff I made a while back
Attachments:
chordprog.gp5
Quote by liampje
I have noted that the band Animals as leaders use quite uncommon progressions. I didn't hear them before at least.

They just infuse Jazz ideas into Metal a lot, because Tosin went to GIT (I think) and learned all that stuff.