hey guys, i just got a new guitar last week. bought it for myself for christmas. it is a american sgandard strat with a maple fretboard. i noticed today when playing yesterday that the strings we really dirty and were cresting friction. Then today when i was playing it unplugged i joticed a kind of grinding between the strings and frets when doing vibrato and bends. it got a proffesional setup and everything and i am thinking it need new strings and a fretboard clean but i am worried i am damaging the frets. It has medium jumbo fret wire if it helps. Also i noticed the same kind of noise on my strat copy that was my first guitar and a little grinding on my acoustic as well so i am starting to think it is normal but want to be sure
Last edited by reedgr5 at Jan 3, 2015,
Yeh it's normal, you can get fret polishing kits that can smooth it out or just play it a lot to bed it in. I think it's either dunlop or planet waves that do the kits, probably others but that's the ones that spring to mind.
Quote by reedgr5
it got a proffesional setup and everything and i am thinking it need new strings and a fretboard clean but i am worried i am damaging the frets.

It's not normal if you got a professional setup (a professional would probably have put on new strings, cleaned the fretboard and polished the frets). Some professional setup.

It's normal if you haven't polished the frets yet and particularly if you've got a maple fretboard and haven't yet removed the lacquer from the frets.

Put some painter's tape (or get one of those fretboard protectors http://guitarsandwoods.com/set-fretboard-protectors ) on the fretboard to prevent scratching, and then take some bronze wool or scotchbrite or even the StewMac Fret Erasers (http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Fretting/Polishing_and_abrasives/Fret_Erasers_-_Set_of_5.html ) and polish the frets.

If using scotchbrite, steel wool (0000 only) or bronze wool, follow up with a piece of rough leather to polish them to a mirror finish. Your frets will occasionally show signs of corrosion; treat them the same way in order to return them to a mirror polish. You shouldn't need much effort to produce bends or vibrato if your frets have been taken care of properly. You might want to do this every now and then when you're changing strings.