So I was looking at some guitars and stuff, I came across these guys and I've never heard of them before, anyone know about em? The Tempest looks like it's right up my street, they claim to be a UK company and it sounds like Agile, direct mail order with no instore presence...

If nobody has heard of them before, should I be the UG guinea pig?

http://www.palmbayguitars.com/
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I don't know about that company, but the title of this thread... Do you watch Top Gear?
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM, Texas Specials and Pearly Gates HB)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
What attracts you to these guitars? Are you playing Jimmy Buffet covers through a cranked JCM-800?
Quote by wahalrus
I don't know about that company, but the title of this thread... Do you watch Top Gear?

Funnily enough, yeah I do.

I just like the specs on them, bolt on, ebony fingerboard, 25.5 scale, no trem. I also really like the headstock, I just wanted to check with you guys if anyone has heard of them.

Sent em an email though, see what they say
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
They LOOK nice.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
They look very nice AND appear to have a sale on

I think they're based down near farnborough so maybe if you're from that area you can ping them for a demo
I'm in Newcastle unfortunately!

I've emailed them for more details to see what I can do if I get a lemon, tempted though. The specs are great, the price is right and they seem to have weaker pickups on the Tempest, but I might change em out.

Who knows?

@Danny, I discovered them whilst looking for Reverends.

Also, I like how they'd do a Lefty version at no extra cost. That is nice, I tell you what guys, I'll pull the trigger if their customer support and return policy is good.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Jan 4, 2015,
Fisheth - no worries - distance selling regs should cover you; all it'd cost would be return postage. Not sure what their customer service is like but having sent guitars back to guitar guitar and andertons, it was very easy.
Check its applicable (prob won't be on a custom build)
Their email addy is an @aol.com? I didn't think their employees even used that anymore.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
never heard of them. they're expensive if they're just doing an agile. conversely if they're actually made in the UK the prices are reasonable.

I don't like how they have no address.

i'd pass, but it's your money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Their email addy is an @aol.com? I didn't think their employees even used that anymore.

That's what I'm thinking.

@Dave, yeah that's my thinking too, but Tom over at Roadkill doesn't have an address on his site and he was fine.

But I'll copy and paste the email back if I get one for you guys to dissect it.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Get the black/purple one. I'll have it off you if you dont like it.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I know SOME makers don't include a physical address on their website because they work out of a home workshop. That's a security issue. There's a guitar maker just a few miles away from me who removed his address from his recently revamped website, probably for that reason.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Ahhh ok, thanks Danny, was looking around on Google and didn't find anything that relevant.

Like I say I'll post the email here, but if it's an Agile type Korean guitars Schecter have some models for the same price I'll probably go with.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I wouldn't do it.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yeah, there's just not enough info on them out there.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
One thing I learned in marketing classes is that if someone really likes a produc, they will tell a few people, but if they really hate it, they will tell 50 or more. That is much easier with the Internet.

Palm Bay has been around more than 20 years, but has less negative press than Devries generated from 2009 on.

Btw, there's one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Palm-Bay-Cyclone-P7XS-Electric-Guitar-Red-Black-Finish-6-string-Right-Handed-/321619861861?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4ae209a165

Oh yeah true, but it's less than the fixed bridge one plus shipping!

Danny, that's completely true.

Devries That's a name I haven't heard in a while, I spoke to him on occasion. Was a complete nutter. If he's serious I'm concerned, if a troll. 10/10.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Judging by the guitars he shipped, DeVries was a nutter!

Like I said, if their customer support is good and they have a sensible return policy, I might take it.
I'd rather spend less on something I want rather than more to be honest, depending on what it is.

Also: What's the chances of those scarf joints breaking in shipping?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
That, I cannot answer.

Anyone know? Just heard of Les Paul's breaking in shipping and was wondering if the design was similar.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have never heard of the company and those guitars looks nice but don't want them for high price.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
Wouldn't say 600 was a high price, but I guess... It is when you've not got much knowledge about a company.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Bump:

Here's the email I got back

"Thanks for your interest in the Palm Bay Tempest.
Firstly, yes, the guitars are good value as we do not go through shops so there is no middle man.
We have never actually had a situation whereby anyone has requested to return a guitar, sorry if this sounds strange but we put so much effort into producing the best quality guitar we can, from playability, finish, materials as well as our experience in producing them, we have not yet had a dissatisfied customer. We test every guitar and set it up prior to shipping so as to make sure there are no problems, or lemons.
The guitars themselves are all UK designed right down to the last screw, then they are part made in Korea, the USA and Japan as well as small amounts in the UK. Kind of international really, we source the world for the best possible components and materials rather than build them to a price. This is a logistical nightmare but ends up as we want the guitars to end up.
They are UK shipped and have a full 12 month warranty. Shipping is usually the next day and is a 24 hour service.
If we can, depending on the location, let you try one before buying. This is not always possible though as we are in the south of England.
What is your location?
We hope this information is helpful and we will look forward to hearing from you again.
Kind regards
Andrew
Palm Bay Guitars"
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Sounds good to me, especially the offer to let you try one out.

I'd still press them on the return policy, though. Just because nobody has asked for a return, it doesn't follow that you shouldn't have a policy. If they craft a policy for you as a prospective purchaser, keep a copy of it. Print it, even.

"We can send you pictures and give you the serial number prior to shipping and the shipping cost of £35.00 is about average for the weight of this guitar which has a 55mm thick mahogany body. It also includes insurance.
If any damage occurs in shipping then you would need to inform us right away so we can sort everything out and a replacement would be sent.
The Tempest is our most popular guitar and is a fairly new model introduced in 2014. It has the thicker body as per the Cyclone and together with the new Barracuda pickups has a massive sound range from Metal to lively clean sounds.
It is a very versatile guitar and very comfortable to play. It has a good balance.
Your comment of Hmm is a bit worrying though, do you know anyone who has one of our guitars?
Please do not hesitate to ask more questions if you need to.
Can you tell us what colour guitar you are looking at?"

Just sent me this.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Sounds OK to me.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sounds OK to me.

Thanks, glad you popped back in here, as you're a lawyer and all

Gonna order one today, apparently the shipping is 24 Hours.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24

Gonna order one today, apparently the shipping is 24 Hours.

Goddammit fish.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Goddammit fish.

I'll report back, worst I could do is sell it to Carrot

Edit: Seven day return policy. As it's a sale item. Booya

Edittwo: I have some photo's of it before shipping, it looks fantastic. If it plays half as good as it looks we're in for a winner here guys.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by Fisheth24

@Dave, yeah that's my thinking too, but Tom over at Roadkill doesn't have an address on his site and he was fine.

he did when i ordered. I think he did, anyway.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I know SOME makers don't include a physical address on their website because they work out of a home workshop. That's a security issue. There's a guitar maker just a few miles away from me who removed his address from his recently revamped website, probably for that reason.

yep, that's a valid point, but it doesn't make me any less suspicious either
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Will be interested to know what it's like fisheth - what profile the neck is etc
This is why you have no money fyi.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by -Ed-
Will be interested to know what it's like fisheth - what profile the neck is etc

Yeah, the tracking says it's on it's way now
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100