I recently got a new used guitar that has an FR on it, which I specifically wanted (because I never had one before). I like everything about the guitar but I just can't stand the FR. I don't use it and change tuning often for old school and modern metal songs. I know I know, why'd I get an FR in the first place..I just didn't expect the incredible problems trying to get back into tune after dropping (or raising) all the strings.

So my question is, should I just block out the FR with a wedge or something like a tremel-no..will that be enough to handle constant down and up tuning easily? Or should I look for a different guitar to trade for with a fixed bridge?
Depends on how you feel about the rest of the guitar. I recently blocked the floating trem on my strat because I play in alternate tunings and don't use the trem. But the strat is perfect for me otherwise - has everything I've ever wanted. So for me it was suitable just to block the tremolo.

On the other hand if you don't like the guitar in general and feel like you need something different then trade it.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

I love the guitar and everything about it. I just wonder if blocking the trem will allow me to change the tuning frequently without the hassle of actually having to retune every sting multiple times to get it setup correctly.
I'm no expert on FRs since I've never had one, but what I've heard is that if you have it blocked correctly all you need to do is loosen the locking nut, tune the strings, then tighten it back and you're good to go.

But I'd wait for someone with more FR experience to verify.

Also another recent thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1666095
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Last edited by Kytokinesis at Jan 4, 2015,
Ah thanks for that thread. I'm not concerned with sustain or string changes since I'm not playing live..Just really the tuning issues. Sounds like blocking out the trem will be just fine, and in a lot of opinions, even better due to the flatter trem of the FR and the fine tuners.
what guitar? and do you have others?

i use different tuning for different guitars however i am near 20 guitars. but i just decked my strat, so that gets no action (as intended). i only have five tremolo guitars, but i don't ever change the tuning.

if you have a good bridge and a good setup, you can beat a trem and it will be in tune and if you don't change tuning,

the problem is a shitty trem and they really can suck. then ditch it

if you like it at all, i would get another guitar and keep it in one tuning and get another guitar for the other tuning

but i am not aware of anything because you left us with no information on you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Pardon my lack of detail..I'm probably at a late beginner / early intermediate stage and this is my only guitar right now. It's a Schecter Blackjack SLS w/ a sustainiac. Once I get the guitar in tune, it doesn't go out of tune. I just like playing a lot of early Metallica, Megadeath, and Pantera, as well as newer stuff like SOAD, Disturbed, Mudvayne, etc.

Occasionally I will get together with another friend to jam with but other than that it's all just playing alone to songs piped through my amp from my computer.

I can't afford another guitar so I would have to find a suitable trade which would probably take a while, and I'm ok with that if it's ultimately the better solution. I would imagine that eventually down the road at some point I'll pickup another guitar, maybe a Les Paul of some type. But that's a good ways off.
Quote by sudzinsky
Pardon my lack of detail..I'm probably at a late beginner / early intermediate stage and this is my only guitar right now. It's a Schecter Blackjack SLS w/ a sustainiac. Once I get the guitar in tune, it doesn't go out of tune. I just like playing a lot of early Metallica, Megadeath, and Pantera, as well as newer stuff like SOAD, Disturbed, Mudvayne, etc.

Occasionally I will get together with another friend to jam with but other than that it's all just playing alone to songs piped through my amp from my computer.

I can't afford another guitar so I would have to find a suitable trade which would probably take a while, and I'm ok with that if it's ultimately the better solution. I would imagine that eventually down the road at some point I'll pickup another guitar, maybe a Les Paul of some type. But that's a good ways off.

no problem, the more we know the better we can help.

here are some things are, how do you like the rest of the guitar? do you like the feel of the neck? tone? sustaniac? (if thats a priority i would hold onto it for that?.

blocking a trem is perfectly acceptable. and if you like it you can keep it.

if you trade, be prepared to get tons of shitty offers. lt actually can get frustrating over time.

never hurts to list it/ you can always say no.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
no problem, the more we know the better we can help.

here are some things are, how do you like the rest of the guitar? do you like the feel of the neck? tone? sustaniac? (if thats a priority i would hold onto it for that?.

blocking a trem is perfectly acceptable. and if you like it you can keep it.

if you trade, be prepared to get tons of shitty offers. lt actually can get frustrating over time.

never hurts to list it/ you can always say no.

I do like the rest of the guitar. The neck is great because of the SLS it's extra thin, and with a satin finish it's smooth. I like the ebony fretboard, not sure if it actually makes a difference or if it's in my head but it feels nicer. The sustainiac is fun but a novelty at best for me so I could care less if I lost that. As for the tone..I do wonder if I would be better off with a pair of EMG's or Blackouts for the stuff that I'm playing..I am not experienced enough to really tell the difference in tone other than the fact that the range from the tone knob doesn't do very much with EMG's..which isn't a big deal to me with what I'm interested in playing at the moment.

In terms of finding a different guitar, I can defintely say no bolt on necks..and must me super slim necks..I'm not really a fan of Ibanez's though, maybe I never played a high end one but the low end ones don't feel that good to me in terms of their necks. I think LTD has a ultra thin neck and Jacksons speed necks are similar to the Schecter SLS necks I believe but beyond that I don't know of other brands / models that I should consider.
Quote by sudzinsky
I do like the rest of the guitar. The neck is great because of the SLS it's extra thin, and with a satin finish it's smooth. I like the ebony fretboard, not sure if it actually makes a difference or if it's in my head but it feels nicer. The sustainiac is fun but a novelty at best for me so I could care less if I lost that. As for the tone..I do wonder if I would be better off with a pair of EMG's or Blackouts for the stuff that I'm playing..I am not experienced enough to really tell the difference in tone other than the fact that the range from the tone knob doesn't do very much with EMG's..which isn't a big deal to me with what I'm interested in playing at the moment.

In terms of finding a different guitar, I can defintely say no bolt on necks..and must me super slim necks..I'm not really a fan of Ibanez's though, maybe I never played a high end one but the low end ones don't feel that good to me in terms of their necks. I think LTD has a ultra thin neck and Jacksons speed necks are similar to the Schecter SLS necks I believe but beyond that I don't know of other brands / models that I should consider.

honestly, i don't think anyone of us can tell you what to do. you seem to know what you like and what you want, so it would be down to your taste really. i haven't tried a tremo-NO, but it could keep you happy.

if you decide to sell it, you will probably get swarmed with trades and lowball on CL. eBay and paypal are not cheap to list and selling fees and paypal fees.

all you really can do is just make a decision. keep in mind if you keep it its yours, you sell it you won't get it back.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Grawgos
Get the Tremol-no if you like the guitar. I just installed one on my Jackson 7 string and it works great. It only took me about 15 minutes to install.

i can't +1 because i haven't tried them, this way you still have what you like and have.

nothing worse then sellers remorse.

i agree with grawgos
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!