its popping and cracking and its terrible.

i went over literally every slider with deoxit, checked grounds.

i got a price to fix from dunlop. $75 i can spend $10 more for a new used 10 band.

all of the joints are good, everything as should be. i checked resesistance on every slider.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
hi, send a link to a video showing what noises it is making please and explain more about what is not functioning as you wish with this 10 mand EQ. I'm a technician, I'll try to help!
^
Yeah, when does it pop and crackle?
What are you doing when it does that?

With Deoxit, it can help if you have the pedal upside down. Gives the dirt and grime somewhere to go.

And if its when you move a slider, does it do it on EVERY slider?
If it does, that could possibly mean a trace crack.

Check ALL your wiring as well. Maye even reflow some of those wire solder joints.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 4, 2015,
Quote by CodeMonk
^
Yeah, when does it pop and crackle?
What are you doing when it does that?

With Deoxit, it can help if you have the pedal upside down. Gives the dirt and grime somewhere to go.

And if its when you move a slider, does it do it on EVERY slider?
If it does, that could possibly mean a trace crack.

Check ALL your wiring as well. Maye even reflow some of those wire solder joints.

its been a while since i used it. but i cleaned EVERY slider, and yes i actually did upside down. i just remember the second you plug it in it crackles so bad it the guitar can hardly be heard over the popping.

this is really stupid, but with a camera i would have to find that and my card reader. is there a way to do it through an android phone? i have a Samsung S2 (S5 coming in the mail). but yea. i wllreassemble laterand go over it again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Yes yes yes!! I have one with exactly the same problem and I've never found a fix for it. I tried the deoxit as well and even rigged two 9 V batteries in series to get the 18 V it needs to rule out the power supply as the cause. Mine is sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

Symptoms are the same: plug it into the amp and it sounds like random radio static, even with nothing plugged into the input. Moving the slides doesn't help. The only thing that gets rid of it is to turn the gain and / or volume all the way to zero. Changed cables - no improvement. Different outlet for the power supply - no improvement.
Quote by jds2
Yes yes yes!! I have one with exactly the same problem and I've never found a fix for it. I tried the deoxit as well and even rigged two 9 V batteries in series to get the 18 V it needs to rule out the power supply as the cause. Mine is sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

Symptoms are the same: plug it into the amp and it sounds like random radio static, even with nothing plugged into the input. Moving the slides doesn't help. The only thing that gets rid of it is to turn the gain and / or volume all the way to zero. Changed cables - no improvement. Different outlet for the power supply - no improvement.

100% identical issue.

any ideas?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I assume you are plugging it alone with the amp and still get the problem. Compressors, Wah especially fasel inductor ones and dirt boxes all would amplify noise.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its been a while since i used it. but i cleaned EVERY slider, and yes i actually did upside down. i just remember the second you plug it in it crackles so bad it the guitar can hardly be heard over the popping.

this is really stupid, but with a camera i would have to find that and my card reader. is there a way to do it through an android phone? i have a Samsung S2 (S5 coming in the mail). but yea. i wllreassemble laterand go over it again.

Yeah, pictures would help.
And not those blurry ones either

Before I go on, have you tried a different adaptor?
If not try to run it via batteries.
Attach them together in series to get 18 volts.
(Gimme a minute and I will draw that up for you).

Also look at the electrolytic caps. Are there bulges in any of them?
Sounds kinda like a dirty power issue or a bad connection. Or both.
Check and double check and triple check the PCB where the power connector plugs in.
Maybe even wiggle it a little but but VERY CAREFULLY. WITHOUT POWER GOING INTO IT.
Sometimes you can have a cracked solder joint and you can't even see it.
Also check the components near where the power connector is.

Then, VERY VERY CAREFULLY, gently do the wiggle test with the power hooked up.
Does it get worse or does the crackle change at all in anyway?

Two 9 volts batteries wired in series to get 18 volts:

Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 7, 2015,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMG-18V-Mod-wiring-harness-with-deluxe-snap-clips-81-85-60-89-made-in-USA-/261404158732?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cdce6eb0c

Or you can just buy a single 9v battery clip, cut it in half to separate the positive and negative terminals, plug one battery positive into the other battery negative and hook the separated clips to the remaining battery terminals, which will give you 18v at the wire ends...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by CodeMonk
Yeah, pictures would help.
And not those blurry ones either

Before I go on, have you tried a different adaptor?
If not try to run it via batteries.
Attach them together in series to get 18 volts.
(Gimme a minute and I will draw that up for you).

Also look at the electrolytic caps. Are there bulges in any of them?
Sounds kinda like a dirty power issue or a bad connection. Or both.
Check and double check and triple check the PCB where the power connector plugs in.
Maybe even wiggle it a little but but VERY CAREFULLY. WITHOUT POWER GOING INTO IT.
Sometimes you can have a cracked solder joint and you can't even see it.
Also check the components near where the power connector is.

Then, VERY VERY CAREFULLY, gently do the wiggle test with the power hooked up.
Does it get worse or does the crackle change at all in anyway?

i will get to it ASAP, i am just really busy ATM (which i don't like).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
sorry this really isn't a necro, and its my thread. i was in the hospital for around 10 days or so.

i went over everything visible and its fine. checked the jacks, switch and power jack

should i try to snag another used one, and sell the the dead pedal as used fully disclosed not working? at least maybe a $30/$40 (being optimistic)

i realy think that its not worth sending back for $75, i think you can find them used under that or at least a bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
sorry this really isn't a necro, and its my thread. i was in the hospital for around 10 days or so.

i went over everything visible and its fine. checked the jacks, switch and power jack

should i try to snag another used one, and sell the the dead pedal as used fully disclosed not working? at least maybe a $30/$40 (being optimistic)

i realy think that its not worth sending back for $75, i think you can find them used under that or at least a bit.

hope you're feeling better. I'd get a Joyo new for less than the $75 and call it good. I have the 6 band and it's the same
Quote by monwobobbo
hope you're feeling better. I'd get a Joyo new for less than the $75 and call it good. I have the 6 band and it's the same

do you think that it unsalvageable with my abilities?

when i pick one up, it will be another MXR 10 band. i like having gain and volume sliders.

thanks
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i would say send it in to be serviced, even at that ridiculously high price. i'm assuming you'll get a warranty with the service. you don't want this same issue to happen with your next 10 band.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i would say send it in to be serviced, even at that ridiculously high price. i'm assuming you'll get a warranty with the service. you don't want this same issue to happen with your next 10 band.

didn't think about that. if they will warranty the pedal after repair, i would have no reservations.

will they repair it if it was disassembled and reassembled? for the same price still.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i think so. it's not like you ****ed around with it or anything.

edit: that said, don't mention it.

i can get it reassembled in 5 mins, with no chain or notice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
before I bothered to send it in I'd ask them what the problem is. I'm guessing they know just from the description. as for a warranty they might give you 30 days but I wouldn't count on more than that. the original MXR pedals had a lifetime warranty but you don't see that anymore.
Quote by monwobobbo
before I bothered to send it in I'd ask them what the problem is. I'm guessing they know just from the description. as for a warranty they might give you 30 days but I wouldn't count on more than that. the original MXR pedals had a lifetime warranty but you don't see that anymore.

i checked on the warranty with repair, and they said that the warranty of a repaired pedal is as of new. which is a year.

i think i will just send it back one of these days. i don't need it bad, but i will get around to it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Let me know what you find. Mine has the identical symptoms and is currently a dust-collector on top of the piano. I'm kind of p*ssed that a reasonably expensive pedal went bad for no apparent reason so quickly
Quote by jds2
Let me know what you find. Mine has the identical symptoms and is currently a dust-collector on top of the piano. I'm kind of p*ssed that a reasonably expensive pedal went bad for no apparent reason so quickly

i am not going to send it out for a few weeks, but i will post back once send out, received, etc. i am sure they won't tell me what it was but all i know is that it for sure isn't anything i could do myself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!