Page 1 of 2
This is just off-topic enough to go in the Pit.

Could be anything- bandleading, back up, sound design, stage design, composing, commissions, crowd participation, etc. Anything involving your experience with a music in any sense.

Mine: I was asked to play guitar for a local college, performing in an early morning set to precede a trip to a theme park. I asked what type of guitar I was playing, and I was told "Electric. She (the leader) really wants to 'wake people up'!" I get to the stage of the familiar College to be led by a black female with minimal musical ability, a drummer-girl that did not have access to a bass drum pedal, and an acoustic guitarist-girl who wasn't that bad. I think I pulled in a friend of mine who is a pianist as well. It was an all female band (except for me).

So the leader wanted to do a few normal contemporary songs, mixed in with some fairly complex Gospel music. She didn't realize that Gospel music (and music in general) is hard to sing correctly when you don't have an ear for melody and you also have to change keys. I can't remember why we had to change keys, though.

It's not that she wasn't trying. She just did not have the capability at the time. For instance: when changing keys, she would continue to sing the melody line in the original key. Or she would just sing the wrong line in general. It was not working. I think the responsibility of the set was thrown on her- she obviously did not know how to lead a band to competency. And hey, that might have changed by now.
saying that nicer stuff makes me feel better about sharing this story, because it was so BLOODY AWFUL, but i am a christian man so i must rectify myself

After that night, we called for another practice the next day, and I was informed that the time of the performance was 7am Friday. And that one was just as bad. I told the leader that I would take over the set myself, and we had another practice the next day. 3 practices for 4 songs.

After the second practice, she kinda kicked herself out of the band.

It was kinda like The Office.

So we finalize what we're doing the third time, and it's just me, a guitar, the pianist, and the guitarist-girl on harmony. Sounds passable, man. We then planned to do a soundcheck at 6am Friday morning before the service.

So that morning, I get up early, take a shower, and head to a gas station that was on the way. I get some nice coffee and the pianist texts me, "Where are you?" I replied, "Omw." I'm just a few minutes late, I was about 5 minutes from the college at 5:56. And then I get to the college, and as my hand reaches to the door of the auditorium, I remember that I forgot my pedals at home. I had delay and verb for both my guitar and vocals. So I thought, "I'll just get the sound check really quick and I'll run home and back."

And as I opened that door with that thought in mind, coffee in hand, I heard music.

Music.

Well, the best music that an older teenage guitarist-girl can put out at 6am in the morning.

the service actually started earlier than 7 am. they woke up at like 5:30, and they were waiting on me for quite a while before i got there.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 4, 2015,
i went to a party last night

someone was blasting zeppelin D^:

Was mixing a gig, one of the bands couldn't even play together in time and were absolutely horrendous. What was worse was it was all badly out of time and out of tune Fall Out Boy covers.

Needless to say, they didn't get invited back.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Was mixing a gig, one of the bands couldn't even play together in time and were absolutely horrendous. What was worse was it was all badly out of time and out of tune Fall Out Boy covers.

Needless to say, they didn't get invited back.

so tune me up up up tune me up up up tune me up up up we're in 4/4

Quote by Banjocal
i listened to Hapopy.

There are some things I can understand. Hapopy is not one of them.
One of the band projects I was in planned to play a medley of Peter Gunn theme with Purple Haze kinda coming in and out (sounded pretty awesome), Wild Thing and Louie Louie, for a performance.

So first the drummer decided he didn't want us to play Wild Thing or Purple Haze. Anyway the guitarist and I decided to insert Purple Haze into it anyway without telling him so that was all good until we finished up PG theme and tehn it was just silent...

We all looked at each other (in the one practice we did, the guitarist was supposed to do some little key change lick. He didn't that night). Somehow we managed to just start playing Louie Louie.

Then third bar or so in, the guitarist played a really bad sounding chord... He was tuned half step down and there was a bar or two of silence (luckily the drummer kept going). Then I started the bass line half step down. I felt sorry for the vocalist.

In the prep room after that rather embarrassing communication breakdown, I delivered the unforgettable line,"I too like to live dangerously".
I spent money on a GnR concert. Don't judge me, I was stupid.

The sound man was utterly incompetent and set everybody's levels far too high, to the point of being painful. The band was 2 hours late, the show ended at 2am, it was an hours drive back home, I had college the next day, and I got tinnitus in my right ear as a going away present.

Didn't really know what I was meant to be expecting from that band.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
this one time i heard someone sing like bruno mars if he was a twelve year old girl

it was bruno mars

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Pastafarian96
@mind_meld - you had me at Louie, Louie

We were originally gonna mash together all the songs we could think of with the chord prog A-D-E-D, and the girl on vox was going to sing random crap in Louie Louie. Can't remember if this actually happened.
8th grade choir. I joined because I was in art before but I didn't know anyone and my friend in choir told me to join. It was such a waste of time since I never actually learned how to sing and the teacher would call the best singers up to the piano and practice with them while everyone else did absolutely nothing. This was nice except then she made everyone sing alone in front of the whole class (over 50 people) and I think that's partly why I refuse to sing in front of anyone now.
cat
Quote by mind_meld
We were originally gonna mash together all the songs we could think of with the chord prog A-D-E-D, and the girl on vox was going to sing random crap in Louie Louie. Can't remember if this actually happened.

With the Kingsmen's version that's possible. Not many others though, there being 1400+ recordings.

I have 40 something of them.
Quote by Pastafarian96
With the Kingsmen's version that's possible. Not many others though, there being 1400+ recordings.

I have 40 something of them.

I'll send you ours and you'll have 41
Saw bob Dylan at a swedish music festival in 2012.

I hate Bob Dylan as an artist and performer (not as a songwriter).

He screeched through the songs like he was a raven.
The worst part was that my friends didn't want to leave even though they didn't like it either!
Last edited by Zerath at Jan 4, 2015,
Some guy from a Facebook page who was distant friends to someone else I knew caught wind that I was (at the time) a music production student and fan of heavy metal. So he's like, oh could you do me some drum tracks or something so I was all, ok, just load up SD and do some stylistic changes.

The style he wanted was 'rawest bleck mehtul'. Needless to say, SD is terrible for that.

So I sent 2 or 3 different versions to get him to just be done with it and go away, cuz I dont have much interest in that genre and didn't want to get any more involved. And then he starts spinning off this weird sob story about how he wants to kill himself if he doesn't 'realise musical dreams' or something, so thinking it was sincere (cuz he really seemed invested into do this) I basically recorded a 3 minute song of my own shitty riffs that I didn't care for and he was incredibly happy with it, even added sound effects and some random horror samples for added lulz. I just wanted to be done with it cuz he was more than annoying.

So I dont hear from him for a good few months, thank ****, then he starts filling my skype, my fb and my email box with an exaggerated billion messages saying he wants me to do more (without payment, cuz he's a scumbag). And this kept going on for a month before I just had to erase any connection to him whatsoever, and during that time, my inbox had so much pron spam that I just had to get rid of the entire account.

No, he wasn't really suicidal, he was just musically inept and had no concept of what he wanted to do. On top of that, probably a /btard and script kid. Most awkward period of the last few years I've experienced.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
About to play a 1 minute song for a school presentation, and no one but me learnt it. I kept trying to tell the other guitarist how to play the vocal melody (we were doing instrumental) and he could not play the right rhythm, everything he played would be straight 8th notes. I spent a week trying to make a tab for them, and when I finally made it, none of them even bothered to look at it, the other guitarist insisted he knew how to play his part (which like I just explained, was not true in the slightest). Literally 1 minute before we went on, the bassist asks "how do you play the chorus?". My heart sank like a brick.

Got on and someone changed the settings on an amp I had no idea how to use (one of those fake ones like spider with a billion and one buttons and shit) and for the first 30 seconds on stage was just me pushing random buttons and shit until the guy who brought fixed it, I felt and probably looked like a total dickhead. When we finally got to the song, I ****ed up the intro, and everyone else forgot how to play the song, for more than half the song the bassist just stood there not playing. It was the most painful 60 seconds of my entire life.
Quote by Jimjambanx
About to play a 1 minute song for a school presentation, and no one but me learnt it. I kept trying to tell the other guitarist how to play the vocal melody (we were doing instrumental) and he could not play the right rhythm, everything he played would be straight 8th notes. I spent a week trying to make a tab for them, and when I finally made it, none of them even bothered to look at it, the other guitarist insisted he knew how to play his part (which like I just explained, was not true in the slightest). Literally 1 minute before we went on, the bassist asks "how do you play the chorus?". My heart sank like a brick.

Got on and someone changed the settings on an amp I had no idea how to use (one of those fake ones like spider with a billion and one buttons and shit) and for the first 30 seconds on stage was just me pushing random buttons and shit until the guy who brought fixed it, I felt and probably looked like a total dickhead. When we finally got to the song, I ****ed up the intro, and everyone else forgot how to play the song, for more than half the song the bassist just stood there not playing. It was the most painful 60 seconds of my entire life.

Exactly this happened to me this afternoon.
playing guitar in a ska band

seeing a band called Balzac open for the Jerry Only Misfits

going to a metal/punk show where 3 out of the 4 metal bands were awful and the metalheads were complete dickbags

drinking a bottle of mad dog on an empty stomach while heading into Brooklyn and smoking fake weed at all the train stations, then getting sick as hell midway through the show, then taking the subway back to the train station while swallowing mouthfuls of puke the whole way.

seeing NOFX live

mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I went along with a former friend to an asking Alexandria concert, because no one else wanted to come with him, worst concert experience in my life, wanted to leave as soon as the first song came on.
Playing guitar as part of a small ensemble for elderly folks in high school. I had no business playing any of that shit because it turned out I should have been able to sight read lol.

In my defense, we were supposed to practice the whole set but no we did not.

Also having to sing in front of people after my puberty had set in (primary school). To this day I can't control the pitch of my voice.

And having to play these infected lutes from hell in primary school:

Last edited by Jyrgen at Jan 4, 2015,
hearing rim for the first time
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Some local band kept blowing the breaker at a show and got pissed when no one wanted to mosh to them. Walked off before their set was done like a bunch of babies.

Had to drive my old bands drummer to the hospital during another band's set because he cut his thumb open on the inside of a beer can hole.

Saw Godspeed a couple years ago, played mostly new stuff that I didn't really care for. Driving home merging on to highway, some guy cuts me off in order to get off the highway onto the off ramp I'm currently trying to get off of and get on to the highway. He's going way too fast on the ramp, loses control, hits a light post and his car rolls down the hill back on to the highway in front of me. Call 911 and report accident, don't stop because it's 1 am in detroit, and fuck them anyways.
First show with a new band and the drumset falls over at the start of our first song. We're a 3 piece, so we do what we can to try to keep something going. The sound guy runs up to the stage to help put the drums back together.

Second song goes into a clean channel part in the middle. When I switch, the volume gets crazy loud on the PA. When the sound guy was helping out he slid a cymbal stand across my clean channel's volume knob and turned it up to 11.

We got asked back many times after and things always went well after this first time.
Quote by Pastafarian96
we had to do it in Australia too. How was this vital to my education?

I guess it is a pretty easy instrument to learn or something.
So happy that I never had an opportunity to do some really embarrassing stuff like some of this, haha. The closest I ever came was a performance for school where some friends and I thought it'd be a good idea to do a mash up of For Whom the Bell Tolls, Brick House, Sharp Dressed Man, and Foxy Lady.

I put the whole thing together, and showed it to everyone, they dug it. The singer quit for no particular reason during a practice, and were never able to properly practice it. We eventually just said **** it, and I'm SO glad we did, because it would have been awful, and it was not even that kind of performance (it was a chill poetry type deal).

Though, I had a pretty bad live show. It was like the third show I ever did with my band after I joined. We went on around 12:30am. The vocalist was shit-faced, so bad that he got the setlist wrong, and fell like three times. I was exhausted because I had played a set with my other band earlier in the night (the show was booked before I joined that band) and I didn't properly rest up like a moron, so I was trying really hard to keep up. Thankfully, there were like 3 people there by that point, so we didn't make huge asses of ourselves.
Last summer I got a message on my band's Facebook page, the message was from some kid in Colorado, he threatened to sue my band because he had bought the rights to the name on Bandname.com for $15. I asked him if he had any revenue to claim under that band name, and how long they had been using the name. Turns out, his band and him had decided on the name the previous night, so they bought it. I told him that he got scammed and I wasn't changing my band's name of three years that we've made money off. He then proceeded to criticize our music (using larger words that didn't quite fit what he was saying) in a fairly pretentious way.
Out of curiosity, I facebook stalked him and found a video of his band.

I almost died of laughter. It was a video of three preteen kids playing punk rock songs through line 6's. It sounds like they had just learned how to play. They couldn't keep a beat, the two guitarists were never in synch, and it was painfully clear that the singer was going through puberty as his voice would crack and jump octaves every three lines.

I send him a message saying that he should keep up the good work, and that playing in a band could be a lot of fun. I then admitted that his music was far superior to my own, and then gave him some pointers for his band and stuff.
He says thanks and then starts bragging that his drummer is internet and tv famous for guitar hero.
I finished it all up by telling him to never try to pull that s*** again or I'll have my heroin addicted lead guitarist come find him.

TL;DR
Shit band does shitty things
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Last summer I got a message on my band's Facebook page, the message was from some kid in Colorado, he threatened to sue my band because he had bought the rights to the name on Bandname.com for $15. I asked him if he had any revenue to claim under that band name, and how long they had been using the name. Turns out, his band and him had decided on the name the previous night, so they bought it. I told him that he got scammed and I wasn't changing my band's name of three years that we've made money off. He then proceeded to criticize our music (using larger words that didn't quite fit what he was saying) in a fairly pretentious way.

I almost died of laughter. It was a video of three preteen kids playing punk rock songs through line 6's. It sounds like they had just learned how to play. They couldn't keep a beat, the two guitarists were never in synch, and it was painfully clear that the singer was going through puberty as his voice would crack and jump octaves every three lines.

I send him a message saying that he should keep up the good work, and that playing in a band could be a lot of fun. I then admitted that his music was far superior to my own, and then gave him some pointers for his band and stuff.
He says thanks and then starts bragging that his drummer is internet and tv famous for guitar hero.
I finished it all up by telling him to never try to pull that s*** again or I'll have my heroin addicted lead guitarist come find him.

TL;DR

Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I've been playing guitar for 4 years now.

Back then I had been playing guitar for 2 months and thought i could put together a metal band.
I was 15 and i was heavily into System of a Down and i actually put my first band together.
The band consisted of a Drummer, 2 guitarists, a bassist and a "singer".
None of whom had any performing experience under their belts.

So then came our first performance ever, we were quite young and unexperienced, it was there where those older guys in leather jackets drinking and smoking weed were, we wanted to be like that.

We got on stage, nobody heard anything onstage, the singer was about 1 bar behind of what the band was playing (offkey ofcourse). But we still thought we rocked, silly us. We played Chop Suey, Hypnotize, Toxicity, Lonely Day and Remedy by Seether. Not only after we heard the recordings had we realised how badly we sucked.

Also, my guitar was so out of tune because i didn't even know back then what a tuner was, i thought it it to be stupid.

YOU WANNA KNOW HOW BAD IT WAS? LISTEN TO IT, THIS IS WHY IT'S MY WORST EXPERIENCE.
NOTHING CAN TOP THIS, NOTHING.

Lonely Day - System of a Down, Enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/user824558106/my-first-terrible-band-performance

ALSO CHECK OUT from 2:50 (PREPARE YOUR EARS!)
Quote by one vision

You wouldn't dance to a metronome.

On meth you would.
Last edited by Rensa at Jan 4, 2015,
Quote by Rensa

Back then I had been playing guitar for 2 months and thought i could put together a metal band.
I was 15 and i was heavily into System of a Down and i actually put my first band together.

So then came our first performance ever, we were quite young and unexperienced, it was there where those older guys in leather jackets drinking and smoking weed were, we wanted to be like that.

We got on stage, nobody heard anything onstage, the singer was about 1 bar behind of what the band was playing (offkey ofcourse). But we still thought we rocked, silly us. We played Chop Suey, Hypnotize, Toxicity, Lonely Day and Remedy by Seether. Not only after we heard the recordings had we realised how badly we sucked.

Also, my guitar was so out of tune because i didn't even know back then what a tuner was, i thought it it to be stupid.

YOU WANNA KNOW HOW BAD IT WAS? LISTEN TO IT, THIS IS WHY IT'S MY WORST EXPERIENCE.

Oh man this is brilliant. Thanks for sharing. You truly delivered.

Singer reminds me of a really out of tune Ian Curtis haha.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Rensa delivers.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant

TL;DR

post the video
Quote by Rensa

Man, on a scale of one to ten, that was gold!!
Last edited by mind_meld at Jan 4, 2015,
Page 1 of 2