Hi, hope you guys are all well and having a great start to 2015.
Need some advice on which guitar to buy, I have narrowed it down to 2x (both non FR as I can't live with them! ).

ESP LTD AJ-1
Schecter Black jack SLS C-1 Passive

I have been playing properly for over a year now and slowly getting better (mostly Metal) my current guitar is an ESP Eclipse which I love but think it's time for a second one.

What are your thoughts on the above?

Thanks
What does your ESP not provide that those guitars supposedly do?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Hi, different pickups, longer scale for lead work, satin neck and hopefully the ability to have one guitar set up for drop D and the other standard 😀
Pickups can easily be changed and so buying a new guitar just because you don't like the pickups in your ESP isn't a particularly clever use of your money imo. If you like what's currently in there, but you just want a different tone, then include what amp you're currently using. Because it could be the amp you're using that isn't providing the different tones you want, and not the guitar.

Satinising a neck is just a matter of rubbing some scotchbrite on it to dull the finish. Anybody can do that. A satin neck can revert back to gloss with some pieces of progressively finer wet & dry sandpaper and some buffing compound. Of just by playing the crap out of it.

The difference in tuning and tension between E standard and drop D isn't very significant. You can easily do both tunings on the same guitar if your string gauge is appropriate. Given that your current guitar has a fixed bridge, tuning the guitar down is just a matter of turning a tuning peg.

A 24.75" scale as opposed to a 25.5" scale will not make a world of difference if you're only dropping the tuning down 1 step on the 6th string.

The features you want for this new guitar aren't all that much different from what you already have, and there's nothing to prevent you from doing any of the above based on what information you've currently given. It's your money at the end of the day though. But I'd rather stick with your ESP and spend the money on some other part of your signal chain.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 4, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What does your ESP not provide that those guitars supposedly do?

This question must be laughed at by all serious guitar owners. That is all I have to say.

On topic: If you already have an LTD/ESP then I'd go for the Schecter. I actually own two of both and while I like the Schecters just a little more than the LTD's (but that's probably because I started playing on Schecter - sentimental value and all), and the S'es do seem to be a little more durable, the build and sound quality is basically identical. If I were you, I'd go for the Schecter though, just because you already own an LTD. You can always see which one you like best and then focus on a line from that company.
Last edited by Eryth at Jan 4, 2015,
Quote by Eryth
This question must be laughed at by all serious guitar owners. That is all I have to say.

Why?

EDIT: I'm still waiting for an explanation by the way.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 4, 2015,
Brilliant thanks for the advice Eryth, the Schecter is also a little cheaper at 750, although just been offered the AJ-1 for 850! Dam 😊
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why?

EDIT: I'm still waiting for an explanation by the way.

Because who are you to decide for someone whether or not someone has enough guitars, or rather whether or not someone already has the things that he needs? It wasn't even part of OP's question. It's their money, their gear. I wouldn't care if the OP hung the guitar on his wall as an ornament. He asked whether or not he should go for a Schecter or an LTD and your post never even touched upon that very subject. All you've done so far is bitch about trivial stuff. If you really feel that a guitar is an object, a 'tool', a means to an end, then you've got a lot to learn about guitars. Every guitar is different, even if they're identical models, coming off the same factory line and everything. That in itself is enough justification to buy a new guitar as far as I'm concerned.

That is all. Good luck with your choice Chris!
Last edited by Eryth at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by Eryth
Because who are you to decide for someone whether or not someone has enough guitars, or rather whether or not someone already has the things that he needs? It wasn't even part of OP's question. It's their money, their gear. I wouldn't care if the OP hung the guitar on his wall as an ornament. He asked whether or not he should go for a Schecter or an LTD and your post never even touched upon that very subject. All you've done so far is bitch about trivial stuff. If you really feel that a guitar is an object, a 'tool', a means to an end, then you've got a lot to learn about guitars. Every guitar is different, even if they're identical models, coming off the same factory line and everything. That in itself is enough justification to buy a new guitar as far as I'm concerned.

That is all. Good luck with your choice Chris!

I never did. I said that at the end of the day its his money, but I gave my opinion on what I would do in his situation and gave justification as to why based on facts. He wants a guitar that is very similar in spec to what he already has, and he wants guitars that are inferior in quality to an ESP Eclipse. To me that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless he is a gigging musician who wants a backup guitar. But he hasn't made mention of that at all.

I don't hold the utilitarian position that a guitar is just a tool either.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 5, 2015,