Dear UG
I've been on this site for many years but never a really active member (call me a lurker I guess), so this is my first post I've ever posted!

I'm a Gibson Les Paul player and I recently bought a Marshall jcm 800 combo 4104 and it's killer! One of the best amps I ever tried.

I never been a real pedal guy and prefer the sound of a Les Paul running through a Marshall packed with a Wah-pedal. But I recently have the urge to purchase an overdrive pedal just to sweeten the sound of it. Also a little boost during solo's could be nice.

Sooooo my question : do guys have any preference on overdrive-pedals? I've been doing alot of research and the pedals that seems nice to me so far are: OCD overdrive, Fulltone Full-drive, Ibanez tube screamer, Maxon (ts rip off?) and the EHX od's sounds pretty cool too.

Please help me out UG!

[EDIT]
My music preferences go from rock to hardrock, to metal, to metalcore. But mainly I prefer the hardrock genre: GN'R, AC/DC, Kiss, Buck Cherry, RHCP,...
Last edited by evertnicolai28 at Jan 4, 2015,
Boss SD1 is pretty much the go-to for a marshall. and it's cheap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gotta love the UG reply incoherence and lack of context.

Kind of depends on what you want. The OCD is a higher gain OD if I'm correct so it adds a lot of distortion to the signal. The Maxon and the Ibanez screamers are the industry standard, they're pretty much equal. They're mid gain drives, and they work well when boosting the amp rather than adding distortion directly. I kind of like the Maxon stuff more, they have a lot of options for nice prices.

The EHX drives are pretty fuzzy imo, if you want to have a Gilmour-ish smooth lead tone they'd be great. Except for the Soul Food, which is a Klon clone, meaning that it should be a great for a clean boost as well as a transparent drive. My favourite of all cheaper OD pedals to be honest.

Boss pedals are cheap, but I personally think that the sound isn't that good. But that's a matter of opinion.
Either a Maxon overdrive or a Digitech Bad Monkey if you're on the cheap. Maxon were actually making tube screamers for Ibanez. The first Japanese made Tube Screamers have the Maxon logo on the back(at least i read that somewhere). Later Ibanez moved the production to somewhere else.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by guitar/bass95

Kind of depends on what you want. (a) The OCD is a higher gain OD if I'm correct so it adds a lot of distortion to the signal. The Maxon and the Ibanez screamers are the industry standard, they're pretty much equal. They're mid gain drives, and they work well when boosting the amp rather than adding distortion directly. I kind of like the Maxon stuff more, they have a lot of options for nice prices.

(b) The EHX drives are pretty fuzzy imo, if you want to have a Gilmour-ish smooth lead tone they'd be great. Except for the Soul Food, which is a Klon clone, meaning that it should be a great for a clean boost as well as a transparent drive. My favourite of all cheaper OD pedals to be honest.

(c) Boss pedals are cheap, but I personally think that the sound isn't that good. But that's a matter of opinion.

(a) I think it goes pretty clean with the drive on 0. At least my cheapo joyo clone does. But it doesn't have the bass cut of a tubescreamer or sd1, which limits its use as a boost (IMO).

(b) EHX does a tubescreamer as well now, the east river drive. I haven't tried it, but i'm guessing it sounds (at least more or less) like a tubescreamer.

Soul food has a similar problem to the OCD, it doesn't have the bass cut. Makes it more transparent, but also (again, IMO) less useful as a boost for a high gain amp where it's nice to have that bass cut so things don't get way too tubby.

(c) nah the sd1 sounds like pure unadulterated awesome when used as a boost. i probably prefer it to a tubescreamer, at least for certain things.

admittedly it can bleed in bypass in some of them. which kind of sucks. but aside from that. awesome.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TIMMY!!
(In b4 cath)

Best OD I have used with my 800, by far.

Transparent, so it leaves you the full tone of the amp but just more gain. Just really sweetens the amp up without changing the sound.
Not overly pricey, or you can build one for even less.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
yeah if you want more transparent than an sd1 or tubescreamer a timmy is probably where it's at. my cheapo dano clone is pretty awesome, and although it's transparent you can cut the bass since it has a bass cut knob.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Two Bad Monkeys/Two Soul Foods (EHX, or the JHS mod), one for the dirt and one for the boost. They're both budget pedals, and they sound good.

The Fulltone Fulldrive is nice too, a step up. I think it has a boost stomp peg too.

The Analogman King/Prince of Tone is a step up from the FF.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 4, 2015,
I always think SD-1 for ACDC tunes. Or a Fulldrive 2, which is a super spiffified SD-1 to my ears. They're both great for crispy crunchy tone. A Soul Food may be good, its transparent but it tightens things up a bit like a Tubescreamer type pedal. If you don't dig crispiness, a Boss Blues Driver may work well for you.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Try a Budda Zenman - it can do pretty much everything, including the whole gamut of clean boosts, slightly dirty boost, just overdrive, TS overdrive or all of them together. Very versatile and has a modern vs vintage switch which is basically putting emphasis on the mids like a TS does.
maxon OD808 without a question. the most aggressive overdrive have ever played. i hated my OCD it was too muddy and it really had no tightness to it
+1 for sd-1 into marshall. If you're cranking the amp then even an eq will do the job fine. OCD is better for low volume playing. IMO a tube screamer (or derivative) with a les paul and a marshall may get a bit over the top nasal, but ymmv.
I would suggest a TS9 or similar... it is a good all rounder pedal. Adds a bit of flavor but not too much. Also a TS9 gives your guitar tone a mid boost which will place your guitar in a band situation, at the ideal frequency position. Furthermore, from your music preferences I would recommend more the TS9. and the nice thing about a TS9 is that it works great with most setups.

The TS9. TS808 maxon ibanez... I would go with something in this area of overdrives.