Page 1 of 2
http://www.upworthy.com/8-hit-songs-with-hidden-meanings-that-should-never-be-played-again?c=ufb1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM9EB1_5sEk

Here are the eight songs they mention by name:

Some of the misogyny is hidden between verses or disguised as jokes, flirtation, or sexuality. Other times, it's unapologetically blatant.

1. "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke and Pharrell: As if the title and lyrics weren't bad enough, Robin Thicke went on to say how it was a pleasure to degrade women. Here's how some real rape survivors responded to his song.

2. "You Don't Even Know It" by Rick Ross: Lyrics to this song include: "I put molly [ecstasy] all in her Champagne / she ain't even know it / I took her home and enjoyed that / she ain't even know it." Ross' glorification of rape got him dropped by Reebok. He later made a statement with an apology ... sort of.

3. "The Wrong Way" by Sublime: One of Sublime's hit songs is about a 12-year-old girl sold for sex by her dad and brother. Even though the song is kinda self-aware and the narrator expresses pity for her, he still rationalizes what he does by saying that he's "only a man."

4. "Blame It on the Alcohol" by Jamie Foxx: I think Jamie Foxx can only blame himself for lyrics like: "Just one more round and you're down, I know it / Couple more shots you open up like a book." That's not consent. That's rape. In fact, studies show that rapists deliberately use alcohol as a tool to choose their victims.

5. "Baby, It's Cold Outside," written by Frank Loesser: This song is supposed to be cute, but it's really about coercing a woman into having sex. It's so bad, there's a parody sketch on it. Several, in fact.

6. Tyler the Creator: I can't limit this to just one song because his themes in general are about raping, killing, and mutilating women. Why is this allowed?

7. "Steal My Kisses" by Ben Harper: In the song, Harper sings, "I always have to steal my kisses from you / You wouldn't even come around to see me / And since you're headin' up to Carolina / You know I'm gonna be right there behind you." Note to songwriters: Stalking is not romantic. (That goes for you too, Sting.)

8. "Summer Nights" by Grease: It's all summer fun until the Greasers ask Danny, "Did she put up a fight?" It's beyond awkward — it's against the law.

Do you agree or disagree with them that songs like these that glorify rape etc shouldn't be listened to? Also, do you think beat poetry is annoying as shit?
yeah all of those songs are shit
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
rape is pretty shit so it goes without saying that songs glorifying the act are also gonna be shit hmu

Quote by bradulator

Do you agree or disagree with them that songs like these that glorify rape etc shouldn't be listened to? Also, do you think beat poetry is annoying as shit?

No.

Should I never listen to Every Breath You Take because it glorifies stalking? No it is still a tune.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quite a bad coincidence, considering that forcing me to listen to those songs is a form of psychological audiological rape in itself...
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
All the songs range from 'creepy' to flat-out 'rapey' and none of them are okay. It'd be a better world if none of them existed or where played any more, but it won't happen until everyone accepts that they are problematic songs. So I wouldn't say 'ban them!', but I would say 'talk about the problems they have until everyone says 'hey that's not okay' and they'll fade into obscurity on their own'.
Quote by institutions

I see your Kill You and raise you "Kim"

Its even worse.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
I think people should listen to whatever music they like, and musicians should write whatever lyrics they feel.
"should never" taken literally eeeeeehhhhh but yeah in terms of actual content songs like Blurred Lines are certainly... adult and highly aggressive for lack of a better way of phrasing it.

i thought this was going to be about shitting on Stairway To Heaven and Smells Like Teen Spirit
annoying as shit that won't come out
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Krieger91
I see your Kill You and raise you "Kim"

Its even worse.

Kim was one of my favourite songs in high school. I don't listen to it anymore, it takes me to dark places.

I really like Baby It's Cold Outside, cause dat harmony and whatnot etc.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
8. "Summer Nights" by Grease: It's all summer fun until the Greasers ask Danny, "Did she put up a fight?" It's beyond awkward — it's against the law.

I can just imagine the alternate universe where Grease was all about rape, and the Greasers all have derp faces about it like it's no big deal.
Quote by Baby Joel
Kim was one of my favourite songs in high school. I don't listen to it anymore, it takes me to dark places.

I really like Baby It's Cold Outside, cause dat harmony and whatnot etc.

with the 'whatnot' being the insistent rape references
well yeah thats the best bit, obviously
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I love Sublime's Wrong Way. Its a fantastic song. Also Date Rape is similar.

Never interpreted it as Brad actually thinking it was acceptable.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Even the Rick Ross songs not about rape make me feel like I'd been. They need to throw him back in jail
I've listened to death metal where women are raped with chainsaws. Where is the outrage?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelshizzle
I've listened to death metal where women are raped with chainsaws. Where is the outrage?

Exactly. People "accept" death metal lyrics about people (not just women) getting killed in terribly gruesome ways, because it's part of the genre and so it is expected. Well, if anyone has listened to rap before, they would know that there are similarly shocking lyrics, so they can either look past that and listen to it because they enjoy the music, or move on and listen to something else.
Quote by Nero Galon
I love Sublime's Wrong Way. Its a fantastic song. Also Date Rape is similar.

Never interpreted it as Brad actually thinking it was acceptable.

I mean, the song is called "The Wrong Way", what sort of stance do you think he takes on it?
Quote by RSOB Bass
I mean, the song is called "The Wrong Way", what sort of stance do you think he takes on it?

"Well, I can't take pity on men of his kind,
even though he now takes it in the behind."

I'm pretty sure Brad knew it was wrong.

EDIT: Although it seems he does somewhat support prison rape to date rapists.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by EndTheRapture51
No.

Should I never listen to Every Breath You Take because it glorifies stalking? No it is still a tune.

It doesn't even glorify it. It's pretty ironic, just subtle.

This is pretty stupid. Some people would just rather try censoring anything that vaguely mentions or suggests things they don't like than actually entering into a mature dialogue.

Sure, plenty songs do have weird, creepy tones (sometimes implicitly, sometimes very blatantly) but who is to say you shouldn't be allowed to listen to it ever again?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by BelowTheSun
All the songs range from 'creepy' to flat-out 'rapey' and none of them are okay. It'd be a better world if none of them existed or where played any more, but it won't happen until everyone accepts that they are problematic songs. So I wouldn't say 'ban them!', but I would say 'talk about the problems they have until everyone says 'hey that's not okay' and they'll fade into obscurity on their own'.

Wow.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
what if 1 in every 5 babies died and they were playing "Its Cool when Babies Die" on the station at work all the time and your baby just died

Idk about that, but I would sure be annoyed that person is talking about dead babies all the time, I mean, c'mon?
Holy crap has the pit changed...

Next week it'll be MC Hammer pants and JNCO jeans

Drunk Uncle says Spotify me, Spotify ME
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
The **** is this shit.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Holy crap has the pit changed...

Next week it'll be MC Hammer pants and JNCO jeans

Drunk Uncle says Spotify me, Spotify ME

Changed? Changed into what, a cesspool of dipshits who are scared of their own shadow and want to censor everything? Yes, yes they have changed.
Tyler the creator doesn't write serious songs at all, like none of it is serious. as for the other songs you listed sure.
If the subject of a song offends you, don't listen to it.
Boycott the songwriter/singer/artist/band if you want.
Personally, I think that anyone that writes a song glorifying rape, murder, assault, or other acts of violence is an asshole.

Songs that talk about violent acts like Sublime's Date Rape or Aerosmith's Janie's Got A Gun, talk about violent acts but in those cases, the bad guy loses. So I don't consider those to be in the same category as those listed in that article.
Banning things and bringing them up bring more attention to them than if you left them alone.

There's so many suggestive things in entertainment and art that you could ban virtually everything because it reminds some group of people of something shitty that they experienced or is seen as a negative behavior. This is not a strong argument, and it's not meant to be, it's just how it is. Songs promote alcohol, violence, drugs, whatever. So do movies and art.

You'd have to be a ****** to take lyrics or fantasy seriously. What is more important is that people understand the diference between fantasy and negative things vs. being able to be entertained by fantasy and negative things.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Changed? Changed into what, a cesspool of dipshits who are scared of their own shadow and want to censor everything? Yes, yes they have changed.

nobody actually implied they wanted anything censored

cept for brad maybe but i mean really
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Page 1 of 2