Are the Fender American Special actual USA made Fenders? Because they are roughly a little less than half of a American Standard.
Why would that preclude them from being USA made guitars? MIA Standards are far from the cheapest guitars made in the US.

American Specials are made in the US, just like it says on the website and the headstock.

On top of that, retail on a USA Special is $950 and a USA Standard Strat is $1250, so nowhere near half the price. MIMs are "roughly a little less than half the price" of a MIA Standard at $500.
Quote by Roc8995
Why would that preclude them from being USA made guitars? MIA Standards are far from the cheapest guitars made in the US.

American Specials are made in the US, just like it says on the website and the headstock.

On top of that, retail on a USA Special is $950 and a USA Standard Strat is $1250, so nowhere near half the price. MIMs are "roughly a little less than half the price" of a MIA Standard at $500.
I was referring to the Tele that you can get from GC for $899, and the Standard American Tele was selling around $1400 according to GC's website. If there is a place I can get a standard for just a couple hundred dollar please tell me where? (I see, the color is what jumped it up to $1,400 instead of $1,200)
Last edited by cthulhucometh at Jan 5, 2015,
you're not gonna find a MIA std strat for a couple hundred. MiM's tend to go for $250 here though.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by boblittle
you're not gonna find a MIA std strat for a couple hundred. MiM's tend to go for $250 here though.
I never said I was looking for a MIA for a couple hundred. I found one for $899. And we were talking about the price difference between the MIA Special and the MIA Standard. Sorry if it was confusing.
Again, there's no American Special that's "less than half" of a USA Standard. You can look up those prices yourself, I don't understand the confusion about model pricing.

The $500 standard is the Mexican Standard ("MIM, Made In Mexico), which Fender just calls the Standard Telecaster. I mentioned it because you seemed to be confusing the models and might have thought that a Standard was a USA Standard. They are very different, as reflected in the price.

The Standard Stratocaster (Mexico) is 500, the USA Special is $950 (or 899, you found it yourself) and the USA Standard is 1250 (or 1400 if you choose an upgrade color).

Here is a basic rundown of most of the Fender lineup, from cheapest to most expensive:

Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters:
  • Modern player - China - Modern specs and hardware.
  • Standard - Mexico - The most common, base model. Also called a "MIM" or a "Mexi."
  • Blacktop - Mexico. Non-traditional styling and humbuckers.
  • Roadworn - Mexico - "Relic" model with 30 years of simulated wear from the factory.
  • Deluxe line - Mexico - several distinct models including the Roadhouse, Deluxe Player, Lonestar, Power Strat with unique pickup/electronics options.
  • Highway One - USA - entry-level American model. Recently discontinued.
  • American Special - USA - essentially the same as Highway One.
  • Classic - Mexico. Higher quality with vintage style looks and hardware.
  • Classic player - Mexico - similar to Classic with a few non-vintage specs
  • American Standard - USA - Base American model. More modern-spec oriented than the MIM or lower cost USA models. Also known as an American or MIA or USA Strat/Tele.
  • American Deluxe - USA - similar to USA Standard with upgrades and different finish options.
  • American Vintage - USA - Reissued versions of classic strats (57, 62, 70s)
  • Vintage Hot Rod - USA - Updated versions of vintage models.

• Select Series - USA - Premium models with figured woods.
  • Custom Shop (Artist series) - USA - top of the line Artist spec models.
  • Custom Shop (Time Machine Series) - USA - Vintage-correct "Relic" models with simulated heavy wear
  • Custom Shop (Pro Series) - USA - refined stratocaster with performer-oriented upgrades.
  • Custom Shop (Custom Deluxe series) - USA - Modern spec strat with figured maple
"I don't understand what the difficulty is here." Very rude first of all. Secondly, if you read my entire reply you would see where I said the finish was making a difference in the price. I also said roughly a little less than around half. You can get one for 1,200 but it was in a color I wasn't looking at, the ones I was seeing were around 1,400. And the Specials are running $900.
Quote by cthulhucometh
"I don't understand what the difficulty is here." Very rude first of all. Secondly, if you read my entire reply you would see where I said the finish was making a difference in the price. I also said roughly a little less than around half. You can get one for 1,200 but it was in a color I wasn't looking at, the ones I was seeing were around 1,400. And the Specials are running $900.

So go play a couple of guitars and pick out the one you like.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by cthulhucometh

In what crazy funhouse world is $900 "roughly a little less than half" of 1400? Or even "roughly a little less than around half" ?

That is the difficulty I was talking about. You're not making any sense. It's tough to help you when you keep talking in circles about readily available information that contradicts your entire point. These prices are printed in black and white for you, I genuinely don't understand what you are trying to get at.
Quote by Cajundaddy
So go play a couple of guitars and pick out the one you like.
That is what I plan on doing, was just wondering why there was such a price difference since they are both American.
I meant a little more than half. I was thinking more and typing less. Because 900 is a little more than 700.
Also you haven't even told me what the difference are. I was wanting to know what you are getting by upgrading to a standard, deluxe etc.
No sense being rude when asking for help, especially after making the same mistake twice in a row and getting offended when it was pointed out. Ask better questions and get better answers.

American Special is kind of a goofy model, it's mainly just Fender's way of getting the cheapest USA model out there for people who really want an American guitar but can't afford a Standard. It's got decent electronics and parts but it's missing a lot of the upgrades that make the USA Standard a clearly better instrument than the Standard. The micro tilt neck adjust, the bridge, the finish, etc are just a little nicer on the Standard, and the difference I think is worth it, especially when you can get USA Standards used for reasonable prices. The USA Special to me just does not feel like a significant upgrade over a MIM with different pickups.

Go play a bunch, find one you love, but I'd say for most people the USA is worth the price increase over the Special.
Quote by Roc8995
No sense being rude when asking for help, especially after making the same mistake twice in a row and getting offended when it was pointed out. Ask better questions and get better answers.

American Special is kind of a goofy model, it's mainly just Fender's way of getting the cheapest USA model out there for people who really want an American guitar but can't afford a Standard. It's got decent electronics and parts but it's missing a lot of the upgrades that make the USA Standard a clearly better instrument than the Standard. The micro tilt neck adjust, the bridge, the finish, etc are just a little nicer on the Standard, and the difference I think is worth it, especially when you can get USA Standards used for reasonable prices. The USA Special to me just does not feel like a significant upgrade over a MIM with different pickups.

Go play a bunch, find one you love, but I'd say for most people the USA is worth the price increase over the Special.
I think you was rude about it still as well. Anyway, thanks for answering my question. I knew there had to be something different considering the price difference. And that's what I was wanting to verify. Thanks, I appreciate it.
ok lets try this. the AM. special is basically a MIM quality guitar that is made at the corona plant instead of mexico. the wood and other parts quality is basically the same as a MIM. there are a couple of minor upgrades but nothing all that great. as mentioned this guitar for those who want to say they have a US made fender but can't really afford the better ones. personally I find the special to be not so special and you might as well buy a MIM and use the extra money to get some actual upgrades rather than a couple of half assed ones.
Quote by Roc8995

Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters:
  • Modern player - China - Modern specs and hardware.
  • Standard - Mexico - The most common, base model. Also called a "MIM" or a "Mexi."
  • Blacktop - Mexico. Non-traditional styling and humbuckers.
  • Roadworn - Mexico - "Relic" model with 30 years of simulated wear from the factory.
  • Deluxe line - Mexico - several distinct models including the Roadhouse, Deluxe Player, Lonestar, Power Strat with unique pickup/electronics options.
  • Highway One - USA - entry-level American model. Recently discontinued.
  • American Special - USA - essentially the same as Highway One.
  • Classic - Mexico. Higher quality with vintage style looks and hardware.
  • Classic player - Mexico - similar to Classic with a few non-vintage specs
  • American Standard - USA - Base American model. More modern-spec oriented than the MIM or lower cost USA models. Also known as an American or MIA or USA Strat/Tele.
  • American Deluxe - USA - similar to USA Standard with upgrades and different finish options.
  • American Vintage - USA - Reissued versions of classic strats (57, 62, 70s)
  • Vintage Hot Rod - USA - Updated versions of vintage models.

• Select Series - USA - Premium models with figured woods.
  • Custom Shop (Artist series) - USA - top of the line Artist spec models.
  • Custom Shop (Time Machine Series) - USA - Vintage-correct "Relic" models with simulated heavy wear
  • Custom Shop (Pro Series) - USA - refined stratocaster with performer-oriented upgrades.
  • Custom Shop (Custom Deluxe series) - USA - Modern spec strat with figured maple

I've been contemplating picking up a tele. I just haven't been able to settle on which model yet. You're breakdown is very helpful. Thanks for the info.
Quote by cthulhucometh

900 is 75% of 1200. Your 50% estimate is what Roc was taking about, a 25% discrepancy is more than a little rough.
Moving on.....
I mean, I'd always take a Fender over a Epiphone. The cost will vary too though and not sure how much you're looking to spend.
Quote by cthulhucometh
I think you was rude about it still as well. Anyway, thanks for answering my question. I knew there had to be something different considering the price difference. And that's what I was wanting to verify. Thanks, I appreciate it.

The price difference comes from the fact that the Special only has a one-way truss rod, no micro-tilt, Texas Specials instead of Fat 50's, and use less quality woods than the Standard.

Also, you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER