So I realize Randall amps are built for metal and I do play metal, although the band I am in is more like Breaking Benjamin, and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus sounding, I am looking at this for my first half stack cause of my budget, where I am at in life right now I wont be able to afford more than a $500 stack, I have done research and talked on other forums, and decided already that I want a stack, and solid state mostly for the head room, (unless I find a tube I fall in love woth for my price, which so far isn't happening) My main question is, I use a pedal chain and effects for my distortion and overdrive, obviously the stock overdrive is geared toward metal, but if I use my alt rock driving pedals over a clean channel, could I get the alternative rock sound I am looking for even though it is a metal amp? Also I am not looking for the best amp out there, so save yourself on trying to persuade me on other amplifiers, I have other forum threads for advice in that section. I would just like to know about the chain setup with this one, also, how loud does it get? and would It survive in a band mix volume wise? Thanks, I am mainly looking to just get anything better than my 40 watt mustang 3 amplifier, is this better? (stupid question, but I just want to make sure it doesn't suck THAT bad if it does, so more for a comparison) Thank you all.

Be kind, my knowledge lies in guitar hardware, this is totally foreign to me, but obviously I need to learn somehow.
I see like this, It's better to tell yourself you're not good enough, so you always try to get better and better, rather than to say you are good enough, and not improve. You're never good enough, and in that way, you'll be the best.
Best thing you can do is toss your pedals in front of it and try it out. Only you can decide if its going to work for what you need. The Randalls I've played have been plenty loud and you can mic it if the venues or your band has a pa.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Randall amps are built for Pantera and nothing else.

Edit for 500 buy a combo.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Jan 5, 2015,
just go buy something. $500 will not get you a quality amp much less a head and cab. for ****s sake, stop posting these threads

edit: learn to form paragraphs, its easier to read that way. not that i really care, however some others will be more likely to read.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
just go buy something. $500 will not get you a quality amp much less a head and cab. for ****s sake, stop posting these threads

edit: learn to form paragraphs, its easier to read that way. not that i really care, however some others will be more likely to read.

Sort I just have so many questions and idk where to go with them.
I see like this, It's better to tell yourself you're not good enough, so you always try to get better and better, rather than to say you are good enough, and not improve. You're never good enough, and in that way, you'll be the best.
That particular Randall amp is a POS and will not cut through in the mix, like most cheap solid state amp heads. You don't need a stack, get over that idea. If you aren't willing to listen to advice then try and refrain from posting so many threads.

Also, however you came to the conclusion that solid state amps inherently have more headroom than tube amps, I don't know, but that's not true. Some amps have more clean headroom than others, it doesn't matter much what tech they use. I'll also mention that normally you can get more perceived volume out of an equally rated tube amp as compared to a solid state amp.

You seem to have your heart set on this amp though, so do as you will.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
That particular Randall amp is a POS and will not cut through in the mix, like most cheap solid state amp heads. You don't need a stack, get over that idea. If you aren't willing to listen to advice then try and refrain from posting so many threads.

Also, however you came to the conclusion that solid state amps inherently have more headroom than tube amps, I don't know, but that's not true. Some amps have more clean headroom than others, it doesn't matter much what tech they use. I'll also mention that normally you can get more perceived volume out of an equally rated tube amp as compared to a solid state amp.

right on every point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by dementiacaptain

I am listening and reading everything, and that's not the only amplifier I'm looking at, and I'm prolly not gonna get it given things people on here have said about it, although I kept questioning it because I have heard plenty of good things about it as well through other research, but alot of people suggest amps out of my budget, I came to the conclusion about headroom from research, blogs, and forums, saying that a tube amp will get louder than a Ss, but it only has so much headroom before the clean tone gets muddied, now I am unsure how true that was or not, but that's all I've seen so that's all I have to go off of, as for the fact I don't need a half stack, I understand that, but I want one because eventually I'm going to need or want a good half stack, and I would rather start now with a cheap half stack, then ill already have the cab and ill just spend another 400 on a new head when I want an upgrade rather than drop $500 on a combo, then drop another $1000 later for the stack, I apologize if I upset you guys, but like I've said I know absolutely nothing about amplification, I've been playing through a 40 watt practice Ss amp for 10 years, and I have no better idea of a way to get information other than talking to others who do know.
Quote by dyl shermanator
I am listening and reading everything, and that's not the only amplifier I'm looking at, and I'm prolly not gonna get it given things people on here have said about it, although I kept questioning it because I have heard plenty of good things about it as well through other research.

But a lot of people suggest amps out of my budget, I came to the conclusion about headroom from research, blogs, and forums, saying that a tube amp will get louder than a Ss, but it only has so much headroom before the clean tone gets muddied, now I am unsure how true that was or not, but that's all I've seen so that's all I have to go off of, as for the fact I don't need a half stack, I understand that, but I want one because eventually I'm going to need or want a good half stack, and I would rather start now with a cheap half stack, then ill already have the cab and ill just spend another 400 on a new head when I want an upgrade rather than drop $500 on a combo, then drop another $1000 later for the stack, I apologize if I upset you guys, but like I've said I know absolutely nothing about amplification, I've been playing through a 40 watt practice Ss amp for 10 years, and I have no better idea of a way to get information other than talking to others who do know.

Nah you didn't upset us, the only way you'd upset anyone is if you bought a guitar from Eric Devries.

I wouldn't do a halfstack at that budget simply because the two options wouldn't be great and a combo as long as you do it right would give you the tones you want now, rather than a halfstack that might not, I've also found a Half stack isn't practical for gigging (Inb4 Cath and his trolley) assuming it's the standard 4X12 and a head. I've actually been downsizing for gigging now.

But that's just me. You might be different.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
rx 120 is trash, if you are set on randall find a used rt100 tube and extremely versatile. i got mine half stack for 650 used about 2 years ago.

for 500 id buy a used tube combo
Quote by bendystraw
Fifty bucks says you're fat.
Quote by Fisheth24
Nah you didn't upset us, the only way you'd upset anyone is if you bought a guitar from Eric Devries.

I wouldn't do a halfstack at that budget simply because the two options wouldn't be great and a combo as long as you do it right would give you the tones you want now, rather than a halfstack that might not, I've also found a Half stack isn't practical for gigging (Inb4 Cath and his trolley) assuming it's the standard 4X12 and a head. I've actually been downsizing for gigging now.

But that's just me. You might be different.

Yeah I was thinking more like a 2x12, I did find tho jet city JCA22H stack, its like a full stack, but its two, single 12" cabs and the head, my only issue is If it would have the headroom I need to get loud enough cleans at a 20 watt head. The whole thing was used for $600 I believe.
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
rx 120 is trash, if you are set on randall find a used rt100 tube and extremely versatile. i got mine half stack for 650 used about 2 years ago.

for 500 id buy a used tube combo

I was also looking at that one, but everything I seen said metal, but ill take another look with you saying its versitile, I could probably afford that if I just get a 2x12 cab.
Quote by dyl shermanator
Yeah I was thinking more like a 2x12, I did find tho jet city JCA22H stack, its like a full stack, but its two, single 12" cabs and the head, my only issue is If it would have the headroom I need to get loud enough cleans at a 20 watt head. The whole thing was used for $600 I believe.

you wouldn't have any headroom with the 20 watter.

best you could do would be a blue voodoo or maybe valve king and a random cab from CL.

*i have a blue voodoo i am selling but that is a recommendation not an advertisement. its modded to craigs specs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you wouldn't have any headroom with the 20 watter.

best you could do would be a blue voodoo or maybe valve king and a random cab from CL.

*i have a blue voodoo i am selling but that is a recommendation not an advertisement. its modded to craigs specs.

I was also looking at both of those, more the blue voodoo cause I was unsure what a valvestate was exactly, is the BV versatile though?
Quote by dyl shermanator

Yeah, a lot of the guys on here know I recommend the JCA20H at every opportunity, but it isn't right in this case. It is a great amp, but I've got a feeling for your case you'd need at least 30 watts and above. However for me fifteen is fine because I don't really use clean in a band situation yet, but when I need to I'm jumping over to 50, just for that extra bit of headroom incase I need it.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
As I explained in your 1st thread, while your logic is sound for buying a half stack and upgrading the head later, that RX cab isn't exactly spectactular either, so really you'd probably end up wanting to upgrading that too. Speakers and cab makes a big difference too. Take a look into some of the amps you've been recommended in all these different threads. If you want a clean amp to use with pedals I'd definitely look into a Blues Jr. Great amp that can be had for cheap.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Right, I probably am not getting the Randall, saying theres soo many better amps, really looking into the blue voodoo, the cleans sound a lil twangy on some of the videos, but I'm sure that can be changed with the tone knobs.
If you want Randall then RH or RG or their tube stuff. You might find one of the older RG-ES's or Century's but they're very dear and most of the people who have them know the value.

EDIT:You don't need a 4x12 you can get a perfectly good 2x12 cab like I did and it will sound the same. If you're on the cheap then a Laney Ironheart 2x12 is the best thing that comes to my mind.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jan 5, 2015,
Ok so apparently I need a SS cab because I live in an apartment, meaning for practicing I need headphones which tube amps do not have. (99.9% of the time) SOO this being said, any ideas now?