So, I´ve been playing for around 6 years, which taken mildly seriously might be around 3-4. After taking some classes and learning music theory, my performance and overall playing quality and resources have gone quite up.
I have an old Ibanez don´t even know the model, which came in those kickstarter packages. To be honest it has gone through a lot and has delivered for better or worst. But for a while now it´s been holding back my growth (strings go out of tone when doing bends, sustain is absolutely horrible for solos or long notes, and it overall fights with you when you play).

So I need help choosing my new companion, what I´m looking for is a beautiful vintage looking guitar (Les Paul, Semi-Hollow or a solid body that looks simply sexy), I´m gonna be playing blues, jazz, some nice ballad accompanying and all the way to some occasional hard rock-metal just for fun.
What I´m specifically looking for is:
-Sexy-ass professional vintage-ish looks
-Nice and smooth playing, no need to strain myself for some solos
-Nice sustain

Price range would be 500-800 $ (would go higher for something really worth it).

*NOTE: I came across a nice looking PRS SE Torero once, and when I played it, it was absolutely amazing. The guitar begged me to do some tricky stuff, it was THAT easy to play, absolutely no unnecessary strain in my fingers, a nice fretboard which felt completely perfect, that´s what I´m looking for in terms of playability.

Excuse any grammar errors, English is not my native language. Also I´m quite a noob when comes to guitar technicalities so take it easy on me

*Edit: Perfect description for looks would be the Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Studio Deluxe, but based on reviews quality SUCKS, what do you recommend? ANY OTHER BRAND MATCHING MY NEEDS ITS OK, I don´t mind it not being a Les Paul.
Last edited by fundilloman at Jan 5, 2015,
Is the price range in US dollars or another currency?
A PRS SE Custom 24 springs to mind. If you're in the US a used Gibson Les Paul Studio would be in your price range.
I own a few Les Paul-style guitars, and right now, my 2 favorites are the Reverend Rick Vito signature (hardtail) and Electra Omega Prime.

The Rick Vito hardtail might be in your price range used. The Electra Omega Prime may be a little more than your price range, the Omega- which (AFAIK) differs only in having an opaque black or white finish as opposed to the fancier ones on the Primes- should be affordable.

Other LP-style guitars on my wish in your price range list include offerings from Hagstrom and the Godin Core series, especially the Core P90.

https://reverb.com/item/43847-reverend-rick-vito-floor-model

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRA-OMEGA-Electric-Guitar-w-Hardshell-Case-/131393235741?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e97a5ab1d

https://reverb.com/item/218159-godin-core-hb-lightburst-gloss-maple-top-sf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380825898629?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 5, 2015,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

What- exactly- do you mean "vintage"?

It might help generating non-LP suggestions.

Higher-end Epi Les Paul is nice and plays better than a Gibson LP Studio IMO. PRS and Godin also come to mind in a HB guitar with good build quality.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I should have also added: if it feels that great and perfect to you, buy a PRS SE Torero. Chances are other PRS guitars will feel good to you as well. Go and play some.
These Godin Richmond Belmonts are nice:

http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmontbigsby.html

Made in Canada, nice Seymour Duncan pickups, versatile. Hardtail or Bigsby. Definitely in your price range.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 7, 2015,
If your heart is set on a Les Paul then I would recommend the Epi Tribute + to check out. My understanding is it's the best non-MIJ production LP model Epi makes. USA electronics & PUs, HS Case to boot with thick maple cap.
If you want LP-like there are almost no limits. In addition to the ones already mentioned the SE 245 and SE Bernie Marsden are LP like and are comparable price wise to the Trib +.
If you want something other than a single cut the choices are endless.
Moving on.....
Interesting definition of "mid-range".

If someone had asked me, I would have said something like:
Low end: $200-1000
Mid range: $1000-2500
High end: Over $2500.
Quote by dspellman

Everyone has their own opinion of mid range. I Understood what the OP was asking.

Starter guitar that holds me back $1-400
Very decent usable guitar that won't hold me back $500-800ish
High quality ones that I'm not ready to invest in yet $1000+
And now, the post anyone who has seen my "help me find a new guitar" postings over the past few years is expecting...

Here is a search I did at Reverb.com for some Reverend guitars that might work for you:

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?price_max=850&query=Reverend&product_type=electric-guitars&make%5B%5D=reverend&sort=price%7Casc

Quote by nathan:-)
I should have also added: if it feels that great and perfect to you, buy a PRS SE Torero. Chances are other PRS guitars will feel good to you as well. Go and play some.

The only issue I think he would have with the Torero is it has active pickups, and if he's mostly playing blues and jazz(with just occasional hard rock/metal), it's not going to sound anything like as good as it feels.

Personally, I'd advise trying the SE Custom. Having tried the Torero, the necks, while not identical, do both feel really good(to me, at least), but the SE Custom probably has pickups better suited to blues and jazz(plus, a push/pull coil split), and they can handle hard rock and metal too(subject to amp, ofc), and the trem is really good for a non-locking type; for tuning stability and range of movement, it blows my MIM strat totally out of the water.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Jeffh40
Everyone has their own opinion of mid range. I Understood what the OP was asking.

Starter guitar that holds me back $1-400
Very decent usable guitar that won't hold me back $500-800ish
High quality ones that I'm not ready to invest in yet $1000+

Yeah, I saw the Post and the Budget as well.
There's not really an "opinion" of midrange as much as there is marketing data. NAMM publishes a bunch of it every year about this time.

And I'd have to disagree with the "Starter Guitar That Holds Me Back" reference.

These are the days of $400 LP style guitars that have hand-filed jumbo frets, Tusq nuts, Graphtech bridges with String Saver saddles, ebony fretboards, real MOP inlays, solid mahogany bodies, single piece mahogany necks, solid tuners, AlnicoV pickups, very decent pots and wiring, multi-layer binding on headstock and body, single binding on fretboards, etc. I have a pair of this level of guitars (purchased for about $200 each used and B Stock) that have been earning their keep as bar guitars for a couple of years now.

I do occasionally use them to hold back drunken, tottering women. Unless they're cute.
Quote by dspellman

i'm kinda thinking that most guys looking for axes over $1000 probably have a way better idea of what they want. for newer players the low end is the dirt cheap stuff, the middle is starting to turn into some real money and the high end is real money. over $1000 is not really on the radar and therefore not considered. using $ amounts only doesn't really give the whole picture. for a Fender strat $2500 is pretty high end (without getting silly) whereas for a Gibson LP you are going well over $2500 to get to the upper end of a mid range LP. also what is a lot of money really depends on your means. to a 15 yr old kid even $300 migh seem like a fortune.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I own a few Les Paul-style guitars, and right now, my 2 favorites are the Reverend Rick Vito signature (hardtail) and Electra Omega Prime.

The Rick Vito hardtail might be in your price range used.

...and this one just popped up again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201260344427?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've been watching it for a while now- AFAIK, nobody has ever bid on it. The auctions start and expire, then it doesn't get relisted for weeks. I watch it because I have one just like it- even paid $900 for it- and have seriously considered getting a second one.