just a curious question, i'm very interested in amps but havent had the opportunity to see whats inside an amp. so far, i'm guessing amp building has more in common with electrical engineering. but what do you guys say?
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Beta Aivin BM6
Do a ton of research before poking inside of an amplifier.

Tons of capacitors, resistors and voltages in there that can do harm and in some cases death.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Sol1061
i'm guessing amp building has more in common with electrical engineeringy?

well duh
yea i wasn't going to go poke around without knowing exactly what to do haha
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Beta Aivin BM6
definitely train engineering
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
nuclear engineering for sure m8
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Is marketing considered engineering?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by sinofian

Seriously, this. My 30 watt head is ~10x louder than my old 150 watt. They just make those numbers up (checkmate, engineers)
amp engi duuuuuuuh

for real though, i'm not sure if poking around your amp is safe

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Fat Lard
Seriously, this. My 30 watt head is ~10x louder than my old 150 watt. They just make those numbers up (checkmate, engineers)

I feel this about the whole thread tbh.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Fat Lard

its logarifmic u fukin scrub
DO NOT take an amplifier apart unless you really know what you're doing. The capacitors in the amp store electrical charges that can kill you, even if the amplifier isn't plugged in.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
DO NOT take an amplifier apart unless you really know what you're doing. The capacitors in the amp store electrical currents that can kill you, even if the amplifier isn't plugged in.

this

and you can get cancer from the radiation
I want to make a joke about leaving the amp plugged in so the electricity can still flow out, but I'd feel kinda bad if I were responsible for someone's death

In any case, TS, I think you get the gist of what is being said here
Quote by So-Cal
this

and you can get cancer from the radiation

which is why you need a nuclear engineer
Electrical engineering generally deals with the generation, transmission and distribution of electrical power.
Electronic engineering deals with using electricity to transmit information. This is probably better suited to understanding guitar amplifiers. If you're thinking of choosing a university course, keep in mind that neither of them will teach you about vaccuum tubes. They'll teach you the fundamentals, but you'll have to teach yourself how to service amplifiers.

Here are some resources:
http://www.ampbooks.com/home/tutorials/lesson-001/
http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm
Electronic Engineering. You could do a joint course with some sort of Music Technology course.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Contrary to popular belief, working on amplifiers and other musical instrument technologies actually require a degree or training in the culinary arts.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Contrary to popular belief, working on amplifiers and other musical instrument technologies actually require a degree or training in the culinary arts.

job experience at mcdonalds
Hydroponics
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
I study civil engineering and a lot of the stuff we learn about is used in amplifiers. You should consult a civil engineer. They know how to build things.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Last edited by Woffelz at Jan 6, 2015,
Quote by Woffelz
I study civil engineering and a lot of the stuff we learn about is used in amplifiers. You should consult a civil engineer. They know how to build things.

It's surprising how many roads and tunnels and whatnot you can find inside an amplifier.
Pretty sure areospace engineering is the most relevant field for building amps
All of you are idiots. Clearly since the amp is made up of chemicals, you need to be a chemical engineer to be able to work on them.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by SGstriker
Hydroponics

No he needs hydrophonics so he can make underwater amps
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.