So i realized this whole time i've been playing with my thumb hanging over the fretboard even when doing scales.So yesterday i started actually placing the pad of my thumb behind the fretboard.i suddenly had a faint burning sensation on the fleshy part of my thumb (palm) .This morning that went away but now i've got the same sensation on the bottom of my forearm playing for an hour and it's alittle bit stiff
Is that normal? am i the only one?
Last edited by Electric Devil at Jan 5, 2015,
When doing things you're not used to - especially with the left hand/arm if you feel any discomfort at all, shake out and rest for a little bit.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Make sure your wrist is straight (parallel to your forearm) whenever possible, and make sure you are playing with as little tension as possible.

If you only felt the burn after an hour (and it was definitely a burn, not a sharp pain) then it's probably just endurance. Just take a small break then carry on playing if you want to keep practicing. The above post is also completely correct, don't carry on playing if something hurts or feels very wrong.
Make sure to stretch your arm muscles before playing guitar if you don't do already, it's all part of the warm up process
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Quote by 'DC fan
Make sure to stretch your arm muscles before playing guitar if you don't do already, it's all part of the warm up process

+1.

Add in neck, shoulder, wrist stretches also.

Mega-important, and it'll keep you injury-free for want of a couple of minutes.

cheers, Jerry
Thanks guys i'll be sure to warm up and shake it off i just wanted to see if it was something normal for that position.i was abit worried it was an injury coming on
I've recently raised the height of my guitar strap. I was getting some pain in my wrist and thumb.

Raising it up worked - no more pain, and im hitting chords and notes cleaner. win,win.
Fender HRD - LTD.
Epi Les Paul 100 series Lefty w/ SD HRD
Fender Mexi Tele - Lefty
Martin D45 lefty
BlueRidge BR- 160 - 12 Lefty
Ditto X2 Looper
Ibanez TS-9, FL 301('79)
MXR Carbon Copy, COMP
Fulltone OCD
EB VP Jr.