I bought a guitar from Amazon and there is something wrong with it because my high e string constantly breaks. I bought a 3 pack of high e strings the other day and i already broke 2 of them. Yesterday I broke a string by bending up a whole step. It snapped at the exact spot i was bending (15 fret). I'm down to my last e string and now I'm scared to bend it because I think it will snap again. Should buy a new guitar or what?
It might just need a set up or possibly new saddles. If you use big strings like 11's or 12's and bend alot this happens quite often. Just take it to a guitar tech and he should be able to help you. No real need to get a new guitar just yet.
Quote by J23L
Should buy a new guitar or what?

Yes. Your guitar is cursed with the devil's string breaking minions! Burn the guitar! The power of christ compels you!

String breakage on the high E is quite common. The most common place they break is at the string saddle, because there's a burr on the saddle that's cutting through the string. If thats the case, simply file off the burr and problem fixed.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yes. Your guitar is cursed with the devil's string breaking minions! Burn the guitar! The power of christ compels you!

String breakage on the high E is quite common. The most common place they break is at the string saddle, because there's a burr on the saddle that's cutting through the string. If thats the case, simply file off the burr and problem fixed.

Hmmm...There is a burr in the saddle? What do these burrs look like? I don't see anything irregular or sharp on the saddle. My strings never break at the saddle. They snap at the location I bend
Last edited by J23L at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by J23L
Hmmm...There is a burr in the saddle? What do these burrs look like? I don't see anything irregular or sharp on the saddle. My strings never break at the saddle. They snap at the location I bend

It could just be bad strings then. Unless there's something sharp on the fretwire itself.

Have you tried using a heavier gauge?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It could just be bad strings then. Unless there's something sharp on the fretwire itself.

Have you tried using a heavier gauge?

I rubbed my hands across the parts of the frets that are under the high e string and i felt nothing sharp. I have tried using different gauge strings. I usually use .10s for my high e , but I once put on a .13 string and that snapped also. I use Ernie Ball strings which are pretty good. I have no idea what the problem is.
Perhaps you're pressing down on the string very hard as you bend, causing the string to break? Are the fret ends sharp, causing the string to break that way? If those aren't causing the problem, then you're either very unlucky with strings, of your guitar needs to be cleansed with holy water. Because consistently breaking a string regardless of its gauge at a fret is very unusual.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Perhaps you're pressing down on the string very hard as you bend, causing the string to break? Are the fret ends sharp, causing the string to break that way? If those aren't causing the problem, then you're either very unlucky with strings, of your guitar needs to be cleansed with holy water. Because consistently breaking a string regardless of its gauge at a fret is very unusual.

Well, thanks for the help, but i do believe my guitar is indeed cursed. I think the only solution to this matter is buying a new guitar.
When I started I had the exact same problem with the Squier I was using...I couldn't tell you exactly but I guess my feel changed over time and I never had the problem again. I thought it was the guitar but I never changed anything on it. It may or may not be the guitar in your case. I'd at least keep it around if you like it otherwise.
Its the Mojo gods... used to happen to me tons when I first started out. Havent had a string snap on any of my guitars for a couple of years now I guess. Of course now that I have said that....
I think its got a bit to do with technique and a bit to do with the fact that we usually start on cheap guitars and usually there is a mechanical cause as to why they break.
Mine did it at the same spot on the high E all the time. I fixed this by changing string brand and problem solved. The difference between $9 a packet strings and $22 a packet strings is night and day...
Perhaps you could try some better ones as well.