Page 1 of 2
I don't mean in the sense of insulting someone, but just saying words like **** and shit, when your angry or something. I think it releases stress and i really don't have anything against it. Also swearing is so addictive, I'm swearing without even realizing it.

What's your view on this topic? Are there situations where it is appropriate to swear?
Should people be punished for swearing?
Quote by one vision

You wouldn't dance to a metronome.

On meth you would.
Quote by Rensa
Are there situations where it is appropriate to swear?

When you shoot yourself in the foot with a nail gun?
Swear words are somewhat powerful and perfectly fine to use in the right context. Using them too much or forcing them really waters them down. Plus, I hear lots of people say that swearing is what you do when you don't have a big enough vocabulary.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Plus, I hear lots of people say that swearing is what you do when you don't have a big enough vocabulary.

Those people are like ****ing shit, or whatever.
I don't do it, but don't mind people who do.

Unless people use it excesively. Like, they can't describe how good that sandwich was without dropping a few f bombs.

I can't answer why it's frowned upon, but my guess would be in your question itself. Cussing is mostly used out of anger, so using it as a stress reliever is technically enabling it, which is not okay. Anger can lead to some pretty bad things, after all.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by JustRooster
Using them too much or forcing them really waters them down. Plus, I hear lots of people say that swearing is what you do when you don't have a big enough vocabulary.
Yes if I hear someone who is going overboard with it I seriously consider the possibility of a low IQ, limited education, or mental illness. Not that someone who swears a lot will fit into these categories, but I've found people who belong to these groups swear a lot. Hope that makes sense
Quote by JustRooster
Swear words are somewhat powerful and perfectly fine to use in the right context. Using them too much or forcing them really waters them down. Plus, I hear lots of people say that swearing is what you do when you don't have a big enough vocabulary.

That's what people say when they want to feel good about themselves even though they aren't particularly bright.
I find it threatening because it is often used with some amount of anger/frustration/aggression and i am a fragile flower who will wilt when I am exposed to too many of these emotions. So i don't swear much around others either - i mostly do it when alone.
cat
Idk about your country, but here in Murica its respected and encouraged (like all forms of free speech)
I went to see a badminton match a few weeks ago. It was a youth club with a few people who had already become national champion of under 21's or something like that. Apparently they can get disqualified for swearing while playing, but one guy kept getting angry at everything/everyone every time he missed a shot. Instead of swearing he kept shouting things like 'apple' and 'cheese'. At one point he even yelled 'Badminton racket! Badminton racket! Badminton racket!' while stomping around.
Because of this I can imagine why people prefer for the players not to swear. It's just so much more hilarious to see them getting angry this way.
Anyone seen that 30 Rock episode where Kenneth works in Standards and censors the scripts and the most offensive thing they can say is dingbat?
What a great topic.

Quote by JustRooster

+1

When a middle-aged guy uses a cuss in a humorous, reserved manner, I can't help but chuckle. And if they pair that usage with an intelligent demeanor and vocabulary, they do gain respect from me.

I'm not sure what field of study one would have to undertake to understand the origin of our modern-day, English curse words, and why they are considered "bad". I guess part of it comes from an indirect assumption that the Christian Church (any generalized sect of) has categorized such words as taboo, and if you want to be a good person and get into heaven you shouldn't say such words.

Which that is a faulty assumption and a terrible theological point, because words like ****, shit, ****, etc. surely did not exist in their modern forms in the original Biblical time period/writing. Even in their ancient forms, they just meant what they do now: fornication, poop, vagina/annoying female... you get the point. We have (or the Church has) made them expletive terms with no basis to do so.

So if we really wanted to proverbially "**** some shit up" with our vocabulary, we could learn ancient Greek and Hebrew and spew out original Biblical "swear words", but even then we would have to tag them as expletive; the Bible uses translated terms like prostitute and fool as demeaning expletives, but they are said commonly in modern times. So the reverse action has happened, essentially.

As a Christian man, I realize that our expletives are empty and they are just tagged as socially bad to say without a reason to do so, but for my witness and evangelism to others I shouldn't use such foul-mouthed debauchery openly. I sometimes use our expletives for the shock value, the "middle aged man" kind of thing towards my Christian friends who also understand the empty expletive concept. However, I should never (and the Church should push this rather then banning our modern expletives) speak down upon someone with any language whatsoever. Colossians 3:8 makes that point.

According to Daniel Radcliffe, the word "bollocks" is apparently extremely dirty in Europe. Over here in McDonalds land, I doubt anyone has even heard that expletive before, much less label it as dirty.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
What a great topic.

+1

When a middle-aged guy uses a cuss in a humorous, reserved manner, I can't help but chuckle. And if they pair that usage with an intelligent demeanor and vocabulary, they do gain respect from me.

I'm not sure what field of study one would have to undertake to understand the origin of our modern-day, English curse words, and why they are considered "bad". I guess part of it comes from an indirect assumption that the Christian Church (any generalized sect of) has categorized such words as taboo, and if you want to be a good person and get into heaven you shouldn't say such words.

Which that is a faulty assumption and a terrible theological point, because words like ****, shit, ****, etc. surely did not exist in their modern forms in the original Biblical time period/writing. Even in their ancient forms, they just meant what they do now: fornication, poop, vagina/annoying female... you get the point. We have (or the Church has) made them expletive terms with no basis to do so.

So if we really wanted to proverbially "**** some shit up" with our vocabulary, we could learn ancient Greek and Hebrew and spew out original Biblical "swear words", but even then we would have to tag them as expletive; the Bible uses translated terms like prostitute and fool as demeaning expletives, but they are said commonly in modern times. So the reverse action has happened, essentially.

As a Christian man, I realize that our expletives are empty and they are just tagged as socially bad to say without a reason to do so, but for my witness and evangelism to others I shouldn't use such foul-mouthed debauchery openly. I sometimes use our expletives for the shock value, the "middle aged man" kind of thing towards my Christian friends who also understand the empty expletive concept. However, I should never (and the Church should push this rather then banning our modern expletives) speak down upon someone with any language whatsoever. Colossians 3:8 makes that point.

Particularly when the Bible began to be translated into languages other Greek and Latin, it was also heavily bowdlerised. Many of the original texts(or at least, the oldest available versions) used words that could be translated ambiguously; and the translators made a choice to translate them as less 'offensive' than the context of the original might have indicated.
Quote by Will Lane
According to Daniel Radcliffe, the word "bollocks" is apparently extremely dirty in Europe. Over here in McDonalds land, I doubt anyone has even heard that expletive before, much less label it as dirty.
It's not extremely dirty; it will be broadcast uncensored in a situation where "shit" would be bleeped out.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Jan 5, 2015,
I personally do not swear, but I am one of the few I know that don't.

I understand that a person may swear under stress or in anger, but they often don't realize that people who don't swear come across such situations too, but we never use any dirty words. Not just that, we don't even feel the need to swear. It's not like we almost say it, but then we remind ourselves not to at the last moment. To me it's just a state of mind, where swearing has been the go-to response in intense situations.

That's why I look down at people who swear, because it's just a weakness. The only "swear" word I use is shit, and I don't feel better after using it at all. And if you say such words without any control, you will be really shirked by society if you use such words in the wrong places, such as in front of kids in family gatherings or at work in front of your superiors.

I would recommend that you take efforts to stop swearing. It's not going to happen overnight because you've developed a habit, but if you consciously remind yourself every time then you'll be out of it in no time. You may not feel the need to, but it is an inevitable fact that you lose a layer of dignity when you use such inappropriate language. You'll never miss it or anything, trust me.
Quote by josonmj

I understand that a person may swear under stress or in anger, but they often don't realize that people who don't swear come across such situations too, but we never use any dirty words. Not just that, we don't even feel the need to swear. It's not like we almost say it, but then we remind ourselves not to at the last moment. To me it's just a state of mind, where swearing has been the go-to response in intense situations.

That's why I look down at people who swear, because it's just a weakness. The only "swear" word I use is shit, and I don't feel better after using it at all. And if you say such words without any control, you will be really shirked by society if you use such words in the wrong places, such as in front of kids in family gatherings or at work in front of your superiors.

I would recommend that you take efforts to stop swearing. It's not going to happen overnight because you've developed a habit, but if you consciously remind yourself every time then you'll be out of it in no time. You may not feel the need to, but it is an inevitable fact that you lose a layer of dignity when you use such inappropriate language. You'll never miss it or anything, trust me.
This is why i look down on you. You're a fud.
Quote by Diemon Dave
My old english teacher told had a good view on swearing, as long as it isn't directed at someone in a harmful way, it shouldn't be considered offensive, for example if you drop your phone and say 'oh shit', it doesn't harm anyone and it just a colourful form of expression
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Particularly when the Bible began to be translated into languages other Greek and Latin, it was also heavily bowdlerised. Many of the original texts(or at least, the oldest available versions) used words that could be translated ambiguously; and the translators made a choice to translate them as less 'offensive' than the context of the original might have indicated.

Neat. Do you have any sort of professional citation for that? I'm not arguing about it, I'm just curious. I think I've read such articles, I just don't have solid citation for it, which I would like to have.

Related, I'm taking a "Biblical Language Tools" class this upcoming semester. Should be fun.
Quote by Will Lane
Neat. Do you have any sort of professional citation for that? I'm not arguing about it, I'm just curious. I think I've read such articles, I just don't have solid citation for it, which I would like to have.

Related, I'm taking a "Biblical Language Tools" class this upcoming semester. Should be fun.

Closest I can come with a citation would be "an episode of QI. Stephen Fry said so in it".
Quote by Diemon Dave
They have their place in everyday communication. I use them too much but I honestly don't even notice that I do most of the time.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JustRooster
Plus, I hear lots of people say that swearing is what you do when you don't have a big enough vocabulary.

That's the type of thing that people say when they're trying too hard to make themselves look better than others. Fuck that noise.
Quote by josonmj

lmao appropriate avatar ya fuckin goof
Quote by josonmj

Geez, this post...

Ok I don't cuss either, and what you said is true. I naturally do not feel the need to cuss. It genuinely doesn't feel like slipping through the tongue. But I definitely do NOT think high and mighty of myself by looking down on people for doing so. Just because it's a bad habit in YOUR mind does NOT make you a better person than anyone else just because you think so and you're wrong for believing so. And btw, even if it's just once or twice, claiming you don't cuss but use the s word is incredibly hypocritical. For the record, I don't cuss at all. Without exception.

That being said, yes. It is bad if you do it without any control in situations that are clearly not appropriate for it. It should be avoided, but only within that moment. They have to realize when the time or place is not appropriate and act appropriately in response. Especially if it happens in excessive amounts. But do they have to give up cussing all together to do so? No. It doesn't cost them any dignity should they not, because, again, that's just the way you accept to believe it. Not the way it actually is (which is something no one can say). If that's where it's most harmful, and they're able to control it, then there's really no point avoiding it everywhere else.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by josonmj

hey fvckwit! yeah, you. look at this shit you retarted turd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by josonmj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfiEK3Ovv5o
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by slapsymcdougal
This is why i look down on you. You're a fud.

Oh come, now. Did you even bother reading through the whole thing, or did you just see that one line and decide to jump at my throat?

Any way, I may not have specified it at that exact moment, but by "people who swear" I meant those who use profanity uncontrollably and without provocation. But I still believe strongly that those who do so even sparingly, do it as a weakness. It simply lacks... class...

And the thing is that it can be easily remedied with some effort. There's a certain esteem I hold a person in, until they swear.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
lmao appropriate avatar ya fuckin goof

Yeah, I know Dave Mustaine swears and I disapprove of it. But I don't hate him for that... I don't admire his personality for any reason apart from the fact that he is a devout Christian (now, at least) but the reason I respect him is because of his guitar playing abilities and his music.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Geez, this post...

Ok I don't cuss either, and what you said is true. I naturally do not feel the need to cuss. It genuinely doesn't feel like slipping through the tongue. But I definitely do NOT think high and mighty of myself by looking down on people for doing so. Just because it's a bad habit in YOUR mind does NOT make you a better person than anyone else just because you think so and you're wrong for believing so. And btw, even if it's just once or twice, claiming you don't cuss but use the s word is incredibly hypocritical. For the record, I don't cuss at all. Without exception.

That being said, yes. It is bad if you do it without any control in situations that are clearly not appropriate for it. It should be avoided, but only within that moment. They have to realize when the time or place is not appropriate and act appropriately in response. Especially if it happens in excessive amounts. But do they have to give up cussing all together to do so? No. It doesn't cost them any dignity should they not, because, again, that's just the way you accept to believe it. Not the way it actually is (which is something no one can say). If that's where it's most harmful, and they're able to control it, then there's really no point avoiding it everywhere else.

It's respectable that you don't use the s word and I think I will make efforts to stop saying it.

But when did I say that I think myself high and mighty for not swearing? I understand that my post may have given that notion. Then I apologize. Sorry bro.

As for the whole dignity thing, I think it's safe to say that TS's question is targeted at people like me. So I gave him my answer.

And like TS said, swearing can be addictive. I don't strictly agree to this, but I have had experiences with friends who start using swearing words rarely, however inevitably it spreads into their casual language. That's why it's better to avoid it altogether. Kudos if you're able to control it, though I still wouldn't encourage this.
Swearing annoys me outside of movies/TV/Internet. Feels like people are trying too hard. I don't know exactly what they're trying to do, just feels that way to me.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
People who say swear, don't. People who say cuss, do.

People are too sensitive. I cuss all the ****ing time. People use it as an indicator of class or intelligence. It's been my experience that the most intelligent and high-society people I know cuss all the time because they don't give a ****. Whereas the idiots hold themselves back because they don't want to reveal who they think they are in society.

**** it
Quote by josonmj
Yeah, I know Dave Mustaine swears and I disapprove of it. But I don't hate him for that... I don't admire his personality for any reason apart from the fact that he is a devout Christian (now, at least) but the reason I respect him is because of his guitar playing abilities and his music.

7/10
Quote by JamSessionFreak
hey fvckwit! yeah, you. look at this shit you retarted turd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

Hey isn't that Mycroft from Game of Shadows? And that's Hugh Laurie right?

Nevertheless, I do not think that those who swear lack a good vocabulary or anything. Yes I do think it's unnecessary, and his counter-argument to that is... silly and childish...
i don't mind swearing, but i don't like the kind of swearing that indicates a lack of self control
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
words convey meaning which is to some objectionable
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I see that my post has hurt the sentiments of quite a few people. I apologize, especially for the line "I look down at people who swear, because it's just a weakness." I acknowledge that this was a mistake, actually I do not really disrespect or think of myself as superior to these people, it's just that I respect those who don't swear at all, not even the s word.

I repeat that I think that TS's question was targeted at people like me, which is why I gave my opinion as an answer. I just forgot to express it as my opinion instead of a universal truth and to not hurt those who let fly foul words like doves of peace... heheh sorry...
people say "darn" and "gosh" in the same context as a swear word but are technically not offensive. why is that?
Page 1 of 2