Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about buying new gear and i've been researching for the last few months, but i can't really make a decision.

I will, at least for some time, mainly play at bedroom volumes, but i wouldn't like to buy something that would prevent me from rehearsing or even play live eventually.

The main kind of music i will be playing is Metal (all sorts of it) and hard rock stuff, but i want have versatility, because sometimes i like to play other stuff too, and a good lead sound is also something i would like to have.

I've been reading stuff about blackstar (series one heads/combo and ht-metal 60) and also about ENGL Powerball 2. From what i've been reading and hearing, i think the powerball 2 would be a great choice, but besides beeing a bit expensive, i'm concerned that at bedroom level the sound might be disapointing.

I'm open to any kind of suggestion, even if it's one that doesn't really allow me to play live.

At this moment i have a Line 6 Flextone III 2x12 XL, but it doesn't work too well (looses gain randomly) and i don't really enjoy it's sound...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Cheers
Budget/Where in the world are you?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Also could ya give us some examples of bands/albums/songs you wanna sound like in particular?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Laney Ironheart!
Gibson SG (Goddess - Violet Burst / Standard - Alpine White)
Laney Ironheart 120W and Celestion V30's

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
(Loop) ISP Decimator G String II > Hardwire Supernatural
Voodoo Labs PP2
Sorry for not giving those details guys, i'm in Portugal... I didn't decide what my budget is, but the amps i've been reading about go from 1000€ to 2200€ (the more expensive is the powerball + engl 2x12).

Thanks!
Quote by Spambot_2
Also could ya give us some examples of bands/albums/songs you wanna sound like in particular?

Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Metallica... I don't want to have a "metal exclusive" amp, as i said before, sometimes i like to play different stuff, and i would like to have a good lead and versatile lead sound...
^ I'd get a used mark V with an orange PPC212 or a mesa rectifier 2x12.
If you can't get your hands on a used mark V for that money, then a rectoverb or a tremverb's gotta do it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
If you like Engl the Ironball is soposed to be a great low-powered alternative and should work in a band situation
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Ippon
Just curious, since you're in Europe, wouldn't a used ENGL SE E670 be a good buy, too? Incredible amp and so easy to dial even with all the knobs. Takes 6L6s or EL34s and the MIDI feature works well with most brands.

I would love to buy the SE, but the head alone costs about 3000€...

It's way too expensive, unfortunately!
Last edited by Ribas1 at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you like Engl the Ironball is soposed to be a great low-powered alternative and should work in a band situation

I thought about it, but i don't really like the idea of a 2 channel amp...
Quote by Ribas1
I thought about it, but i don't really like the idea of a 2 channel amp...

I would definitely go Engl; I thought Engl prices were supposed to be better in EU, but it sounds like theyre about the same. If you can find a used Powerball II (ive seen them as low as $1400 here) that will be very versatile and is 4 (almost dedicated) channels. Itll nail KSE no problem. I use my powerball v1 for it. For a cab, I think the Engl cabs look awesome but are ******edly overpriced. I see non-engl 2x12 and 4x12 v30 loaded cabs for under $400 all the time.

So- i summary, if I were you, I would try to find a used Powerball II and any used v30 cab. That would probably put you right at 2000
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by Watterboy
I would definitely go Engl; I thought Engl prices were supposed to be better in EU, but it sounds like theyre about the same. If you can find a used Powerball II (ive seen them as low as $1400 here) that will be very versatile and is 4 (almost dedicated) channels. Itll nail KSE no problem. I use my powerball v1 for it. For a cab, I think the Engl cabs look awesome but are ******edly overpriced. I see non-engl 2x12 and 4x12 v30 loaded cabs for under $400 all the time.

So- i summary, if I were you, I would try to find a used Powerball II and any used v30 cab. That would probably put you right at 2000

The only doubt i have about the Powerball II is the way it'll sound at bedroom volume...
A powerball II won't sound like limb of god nor like killswitch engage nor like metallica if ya ask me.
Too tight and the EQ shape is different.

It won't sound worse than any other amp at low volumes though.
The fact that big amps sound worse at low volumes is half a myth - it's true, but it has nothing to do with the fact that said amps are big, as small amps (anything really) sounds better to humans at higher volumes, up to the point where it starts hurting us.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
A powerball II won't sound like limb of god nor like killswitch engage nor like metallica if ya ask me.

The fact that big amps sound worse at low volumes is half a myth - it's true, but it has nothing to do with the fact that said amps are big, as small amps (anything really) sounds better to humans at higher volumes, up to the point where it starts hurting us.

The Mark V you suggested would be better for that, but it's also more expensive, even if i try to buy a used one...
None the less, it sounds awesome...
Quote by Spambot_2

Yea, it will sound great at low volume. I cant comment on Lamb of God tone because i dont listen to them, but you can get KSE no problem. Their tone is pretty tight if you ask me.. they do the whole "boosted with TS, and v30 metalcore thing" so that basically yields you a tight tone in the end. Spambot has more knowledge than me for sure; but I have to say, I have gotten great KSE sounding tones (even at low volume) out of my powerball. Obviously, they (atleast) double track their recorded tones, so you have to take that into consideration. As for metallica; probably not. I never really tried. But doesnt James use Diezel now? And the Engl is a German amp also sooo.. (im stretching) mark V would probably suit ALL of your bands' tones better as suggested by others. But PBii is a great amp imo, and may fit your budget better
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Jan 5, 2015,
I thought the issue with Mesa in Europe is the jacked up prices that the dealers charge. It'll be awesome if you can find a used one for a decent price.

With your 2200€ budget, I'm sure some folks familiar with the pricing there can recommend something really nice.
Splawn Nitro
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you have a computer and some sort of interface to plug a guitar in (a Rocksmith Cable or you can get an unbranded interface for about $20-$30 USD) you can try out Peavey ReValver software.

They have a PowerBall II emulation called Angel. It will get you close to see if those are the tones you're looking for. You can use all sorts of different cabinets (you need to figure out what speakers they have in them - but the Angel Pro and Flathill 4x12 are V30s).

Just an idea before you drop that kind of money. It may work well for your bedroom playing and you can spend more later when you play out.

I use ReValver with some good studio headphones for silent practice and it's really sweet.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Watterboy
As for metallica; probably not. I never really tried. But doesnt James use Diezel now? And the Engl is a German amp also sooo.. (im stretching)
Up to a point, yes
But the herbert is a lot drier and angrier, and james' still using a mark V mostly IIRC.
Quote by Watterboy
But PBii is a great amp imo, and may fit your budget better
That I can't but agree with - will probably not nail all of these tones but it's a hell of a good amp if ya ask me.
Quote by Ippon
With your 2200€ budget, I'm sure some folks familiar with the pricing there can recommend something really nice.
I don't really know about portugal, but I can find mark V's for €1800 any day, sometimes even less.
So maybe have a better look at your used market and see if you can find something?
Quote by metalmingee
They have a PowerBall II emulation called Angel. It will get you close to see if those are the tones you're looking for.
While it's not a bad idea to suggest amp sims here imo, these amp sims can give you an approximate idea of how things sound in real life, but I really wouldn't buy an amp that expensive only 'cause an amp sim based on that sounded good.

To each his own though
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
^ I'd get a used mark V with an orange PPC212 or a mesa rectifier 2x12.
If you can't get your hands on a used mark V for that money, then a rectoverb or a tremverb's gotta do it.

or a MKIV. i love mine. $680 for a long head. sweet deal. just keep in mind that none of the Mark's aren't extremely high gain, a boost will sweeten things up.

do you guys get fryette at all?

but the engl would be damn nice too. i haven't played the powerball II though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Amp sims are awesome. But if I had TS' budget, I would definitely invest in one of the amps recommended in this thread. I love amp sims, but they dont really take the place of a good analog setup (and vice-versa). I definitely dont get the same sort of satisfaction out of both. But hey- the amp sims are cheap and quality enough that the TS could use them to help narrow down which amp might be best for him but your best bet is to go out, tinker and play with these amps
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Jan 6, 2015,
At bedroom volumes, an ENGL isn't going to do much for you, sorry.

I moved to modelers because I can strap on the headphones and blast to tinnitus-inducing levels and have essentially the same sounds that I'm going to get feeding it to a serious PA system or a powered speaker setup. The only thing I won't get is my pants flapping.
I thought about some kind of modeler too, the thing is that i don't know if there is one that would give the satisfaction i want to have when i play...