Hello. So I am buying my first electric guitar (which is probably gonna be the Epi LP Standard) and I want a decent practice amp up to 110€, . I mostly play Hard Rock and Metal, and I probably won't be doing any gigging, maybe a school gig at most and probably without a drummer. The thing is, a friend of mine is giving me a 15 watt Line6 Spider IV for 30€. Should I take it or are there any better amps out there within this budget? And are 15 watts loud enough for a school gig (>100 people in a room)?
A Spider is better than nothing... just. A small Roland Cube or Vox VT would be a lot more musical amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Meh. VOX VT20+ maybe. It has some fairly nice models and sound for the price and size. Roland Cube 20X's go for just a bit less than the VT20. I have the cube and I like it for practice and tone work, but it has less models than the VOX.

The Roland has distortion models (Tube Overdrive, Metal, Metal Stack, Distortion), while the VOX has amp models (Clean, Cali Clean, US Blues, US 2x12, VOX AC15, VOX AC30, UK Rock, UK Metal, US High Gain, US Metal, Boutique Metal), along with a lot more effects. Try both out if you're able to. I imagine the Roland would be a bit cleaner and could take pedals better, but the VOX would be more versatile by itself. You would have a gnarly learning curve with the VOX though. You would have enough volume with both the Roland and VOX.

I'd go with the VOX. I was about to buy an older model Valvetronix not too long ago, actually. I think I might buy the 20 just for kicks someday.

^ CD beat me to it. I'll just elaborate then.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
Meh. VOX VT20+ maybe. It has some fairly nice models and sound for the price and size. Roland Cube 20X's go for just a bit less than the VT20. I have the cube and I like it for practice and tone work, but it has less models than the VOX.

The Roland has distortion models (Tube Overdrive, Metal, Metal Stack, Distortion), while the VOX has amp models (Clean, Cali Clean, US Blues, US 2x12, VOX AC15, VOX AC30, UK Rock, UK Metal, US High Gain, US Metal, Boutique Metal), along with a lot more effects. Try both out if you're able to. I imagine the Roland would be a bit cleaner and could take pedals better, but the VOX would be more versatile by itself. You would have a gnarly learning curve with the VOX though. You would have enough volume with both the Roland and VOX.

I'd go with the VOX. I was about to buy an older model Valvetronix not too long ago, actually. I think I might buy the 20 just for kicks someday.

^ CD beat me to it. I'll just elaborate then.

OK I'll try them both out, though I think they are a bit out of my budget...
Actually, I did find a Roland Cube 15XL that I can definitely afford. Should I go for it?
Hmm, the heavier settings on the Cube sound a bit better to me than the Spider's. I guess I'll try it out at the store and I'll decide.
Hello,

Am new in here!
Would like to know which is better, an "inbuilt effects loop" or an "external effects loop" in an electric guitar combo amp. Am trying to choose between the "Fender Mustang III V2" with external effects loop and the "Roland 80 GX" with an inbuilt effects loop.

Appreciate your help here!
Quote by gnrlliam
Hello,

Am new in here!
Would like to know which is better, an "inbuilt effects loop" or an "external effects loop" in an electric guitar combo amp. Am trying to choose between the "Fender Mustang III V2" with external effects loop and the "Roland 80 GX" with an inbuilt effects loop.

Appreciate your help here!

Hi! Normally a small question like this would go in this thread, our "Quick Questions" thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33175467#post33175467

An external effects loop features two 1/4 ports: a "send" port which sends the amp signal to the cable plugged in, so that you can hook up physical stomp-boxes to the amp, and a "return" port, which takes the modified signal from the pedals and sends it back to the amp for amplification to the speaker.

I presume the inbuilt effects loop on the Roland is the IOS compatibility modelling function. You could essentially do the same thing as the external effects loop, but your effects will be digital software instead of physical stomp-boxes.

Quote by Joj0s
Hmm, the heavier settings on the Cube sound a bit better to me than the Spider's. I guess I'll try it out at the store and I'll decide.
Tell us what you think c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 6, 2015,
You won't go wrong with the Roland, my first amp was the Roland 20X, that was even before the XL series came out and I still use it (5 years later). I jam with my band and actually have used it multiple times at venues, just plug it into the PA system and you're pretty much ready to rock. The XL series rock even harder with more distortion models. Obviously, my opinion's biased so you'll have to try it out. Happy shopping!