Hi Guys,

I received a 20 year old Mexican Strat that is in mint condition and hardly been played.
For the most part it sounded in tune however being as old as it is i thought it would be better to change the strings.

I bought some D'Addario XL Nickel Wound 10's, strung it and tuned it up. So far so good but the chords sounded terrible so prodeeded with intonation. I watched many youtube videos and read many websites.

For the EAD strings I tuned the open string to perfection (using an ipad app) then fretted the 12th it was flat, i twisted the screws and got the 12th in tune, pluck the open string which had now gone out. This keeps going back and forth, i get one in tune and the other goes out and back again. It is driving me mad

Again for the GBe strings i tuned them when open to perfection but the tuner doesn't pick up when the 12th is fretted no matter how much i adjust them. And for some reason the B and e strings sound identical.

After hours and hours of trying i decided it was the tremolo so i tightened the claw screws to fix it down but still no joy.

I dont want to mess with the rod as another variable will just be too much.

The tuner seems ok because it worked fine before.

I was thinking the saddles need resetting to a neutral position as they are staggered all over the place. If i wanted to start afresh what position should i set the saddle to berore tuning the open strings? Maybe that isn't an issue.

I can't afford the £40 for a setup and i am just going mad here trying to fix it.

Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks in advance
Last edited by Pahlavan at Jan 5, 2015,
On the bridge there are screws to adjust the saddle, use a tuner for this, make sure all the strings are in tune, in your preferred tuning, then match the note of the 12th fret to the natural harmonic of the 12th fret by moving the saddle either forward or backward until the harmonic and the fretted note match, it's an easy job, just time consuming and should fix your intonation issues
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
And if that doesn't work you may need to replace the tuning pegs
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Quote by Roc8995
Hi,

Ok, i think that is what i have been doing:
Tune the the open string
Check the tuning of harmonic of the 12th
Check the tuning of the fretted 12th
if out then adjust with the screw till in tune

However if i then go and check the open string again it will have come out of tune.
Ah then you may need to replace the tuning pegs, if it's a 20 year old guitar and hasn't had them changed that's probably the issue
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Quote by Roc8995
Your tremolo is moving up and down with your adjustments. You're increasing tension on a string or releasing it which acts on all the others. This is what happens when you tune up or down when your bridge is set to float.

Open up the back cavity, screw the two screws in there until the bridge lays flat, then start over and you should have it! After you set your intonation you can set your tremolo back to where you prefer.

Your tuning pegs have absolutely no bearing on your intonation. That's entirely the placement of your saddle and nut.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 5, 2015,
Thank you very much for your help.

I tightened the claw which helped a lot, and one other very stipid thing some of the strings wernt tight enough, they were an octave or two out.

Embarrassing!