Hey guys.

I got my first tube amp a couple months ago, a Marshall DSL40C, which I love by the way. With my new Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro, the sound is amazing, so much better than the solid state I had been using for years.

Anyway I used to use a Line 6 Pod XT Live Multi Effects Pedal, but with the new amp, I started looking into new pedals. So far I have a Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah, a Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, and a Boss DD-7 Digital Delay. I find them all pretty useful, but no one I know uses so few pedals. I do, however, rely solely on my amps distortion settings, which work fine. So for me that crosses out any distortion or overdrive pedals, but what other pedals are useful, what would you recommend?

In case it helps, I play many styles of music. I love punk rock, the likes of The Offspring, Bad Religion, and Pennywise, but I play much more since that music is extremely simple. Classic Rock like Guns N Roses comes to mind, Boston, Eric Johnson. I'll play some ACDC, and some Metallica every once in a while. With such a wide variety, what are some useful pedals, or some of your favorites?

Thanks
Last edited by moskeedog at Jan 5, 2015,
if you don't need pedals, don't use them. it doesn't matter what other people do.

that being said, an od pedal used as a boost is always handy. i know you said you like your amp's distortion, but using an od pedal as a boost just makes it better. a boss sd1 is pretty standard for using with a marshall, and not too dear, so i'd try that. level on max, drive at (or near) zero, tone to taste (probably 2 o'clock).

eric johnson uses fuzz a bit. some kind of fuzz face-style pedal might be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why the hell does nobody use paragraphs anymore?
It makes it really hard to read.

Quote by moskeedog
Hey guys.

I got my first tube amp a couple months ago, a Marshall DSL40C, which I love by the way.
With my new Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro, the sound is amazing, so much better than the solid state I had been using for years.

Anyway I used to use a Line 6 Pod XT Live Multi Effects Pedal, but with the new amp, I started looking into new pedals.
So far I have a Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah, a Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, and a Boss DD-7 Digital Delay.
I find them all pretty useful, but no one I know uses so few pedals.
I do, however, rely solely on my amps distortion settings, which work fine.
So for me that crosses out any distortion or overdrive pedals, but what other pedals are useful, what would you recommend?

In case it helps, I play many styles of music.
I love punk rock, the likes of The Offspring, Bad Religion, and Pennywise, but I play much more since that music is extremely simple.
Classic Rock like Guns N Roses comes to mind, Boston, Eric Johnson.
I'll play some ACDC, and some Metallica every once in a while.
With such a wide variety, what are some useful pedals, or some of your favorites?

Thanks

I'd get a phaser.
I've got an MXR EVH Phase 90 that I really like.

Don't count out overdrives just yet though.
They can be useful for adding a little extra balls to your sound.
It would be like adding an extra channel to your amp.
I'd also consider a fuzz pedal.
With that amp, I would get something based on a Tonebender.

And this:
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you don't need pedals, don't use them. it doesn't matter what other people do.

that being said, an od pedal used as a boost is always handy. i know you said you like your amp's distortion, but using an od pedal as a boost just makes it better. a boss sd1 is pretty standard for using with a marshall, and not too dear, so i'd try that. level on max, drive at (or near) zero, tone to taste (probably 2 o'clock).

eric johnson uses fuzz a bit. some kind of fuzz face-style pedal might be worth considering.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I know I shouldn't worry about that, I just want to be able to expand my tone. I'll look into an overdrive and a fuzz, I did come close to buying an Ibanez Tube Screamer, but I didn't think it would be necessary.

What about modulation? I know flangers and phasers are all similar to chorus, yet they each have their own signature characteristics. How useful are they? Plus I hear a lot about compressors, I'm just not sure if these pedals are all worth buying. Thanks for the help
Quote by CodeMonk
Why the hell does nobody use paragraphs anymore?
It makes it really hard to read.
Sorry, fixed it

But yeah, thanks for your input. I'll check out some phasers as well. I've heard about the MXR in Van Halen stuff, if I get one, that would be it.
yeah a tubescreamer is very similar to an sd1. they both boost your mids, cut your bass and add compression, but a tubescreamer is a little smoother-sounding while an sd1 is a little brighter/edgier.

bear in mind you don't necessarily have to pay the crazy (IMO) ibanez expects you to pay for a tubescreamer. there are loads of cheaper clones available.

modulation... it just depends on how much you use them. as you said, they have their own characteristics, but if you don't use them much or at all you could (possibly) sort of get by in a pinch with one of them.

compressors, again it depends on whether you need one or not. they're quite useful for evening out e.g. clean passages, but if you don't play clean a lot you probably don't need one (since distortion adds compression anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love my little MXR analog chorus. I find I use that frequently as well as a DD3 for delay. Those work really well for cleans. I have a Phaser but I rarely use it. If I were to put some essential pedals down they'd be:

OD (Tubescreamer), Wah, Delay, Chorus, Compressor

That said, less is usually more unless you wanna sound like some space age freak. I did just buy an Electroharmonix B9 organ pedal that is absolutely awesome (just htought i'd add that)
Quote by badfish_lewis
I love my little MXR analog chorus. I find I use that frequently as well as a DD3 for delay. Those work really well for cleans. I have a Phaser but I rarely use it. If I were to put some essential pedals down they'd be:

OD (Tubescreamer), Wah, Delay, Chorus, Compressor

That said, less is usually more unless you wanna sound like some space age freak. I did just buy an Electroharmonix B9 organ pedal that is absolutely awesome (just htought i'd add that)
Thanks, I'll check them all out
Quote by Dave_Mc
a boss sd1 is pretty standard for using with a marshall, and not too dear, so i'd try that.
I may just get this pedal, I'd use it mainly as a boost, to get a slight overdrive for my clean channel or even a boost to the distorted channel, which I read the pedal does well.

I'm wondering though, how much of a difference is there between this pedal and the OD-3? So far, I've read the OD-3 is harsher, working even better as a stand alone, while the SD-1 is great for boosting tones. Which one would sound better with my setup, or at least which is closer to an Ibanez Tube Screamer?
it's ages since I've tried an od3 but its circuit is a lot closer to a blues driver (BD2). The SD1 circuit is almost identical to a tubescreamer's (but several component values are different).

So yeah if you want the one which is closest to a tubescreamer the SD1 is what you want. and yeah the sd1 works really great as a boost.

you sometimes can get a bit of bleed when the sd1 is bypassed, though. that's a bit of a pain. but if you put another buffered pedal in front of it in your pedal chain (e.g. your boss chorus) that should fix it if you are unlucky and get one which bleeds a lot (apparently it seems pretty random how bad it is).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 6, 2015,
honestly if you don't really know what to use a pedal for then you probably don't need it. fx are the icing on the cake so really the tone thing is you, your guitar and your amp. as others have mentioned an overdrive will come in handy.

not everyone has or needs a monster pedal board. i use an overdrive, wha, and delay plus i have a phaser on my board for a couple of songs. personally i like to keep it simple and rely more on my playing then fx. keep in mind that things like the pickup selector switch and volume / tone knobs can be used to great effect when desiring different tones.
Quote by Dave_Mc
So yeah if you want the one which is closest to a tubescreamer the SD1 is what you want. and yeah the sd1 works really great as a boost.

you sometimes can get a bit of bleed when the sd1 is bypassed, though. that's a bit of a pain. but if you put another buffered pedal in front of it in your pedal chain (e.g. your boss chorus) that should fix it if you are unlucky and get one which bleeds a lot (apparently it seems pretty random how bad it is).
I'll definitely check it out. I saw a video on an Ibanez Tube Screamer and I really liked it, the guy used it as like a second channel, combining it with both the clean and distorted sound of his amp.

I think the SD-1 is the way to go though, seeing as its not only cheaper, but I've read the switch works a lot better than the tube screamer. I'll try it out next time I head to Guitar Center.
Quote by monwobobbo
not everyone has or needs a monster pedal board. i use an overdrive, wha, and delay plus i have a phaser on my board for a couple of songs. personally i like to keep it simple and rely more on my playing then fx.
Yeah, I agree. A lot of people I know buy those pitch shifters or octave pedals, but I don't see the point, at least not for me. Thanks
OTOH, I have more pedals than hair.

But independent of the number of pedals at your feet is how you use them. Like your amp, pedals are variable and adjustable. Sometimes you only need a little flavor, sometimes you need to go fullbore. There's a youtube video of a guy dialing in his Boss RT-20 rotary pedal to match the way David Gilmour used a Leslie rotating speaker cab on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond." As it turns out, the requisite setting needed was very subtle compared to the capabilities of the pedal.

IOW, it isn't just what you have, it is how you use it.

One I have and think you'd like is the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde OD/Distortion. It is made like a tank, and the overdrive and distortion controls are fairly flexible. Lots of good tones.

Here's a demo I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwl41IBgLrw&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 7, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
IOW, it isn't just what you have, it is how you use it.
You're right, I could definitely play some great songs with a little flanger or phaser here and there, Van Halen comes to mind. A tremolo would allow me to play Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day, the only reason I'm not getting every pedal I possibly could is really the cost.

I know every pedal is useful in certain situations, but right now I'm looking just for the few essentials that I'd really use to shape my sound. Maybe one day I'd have accumulated enough for a completely new pedalboard. I'll definitely check out that demo though, thanks.
I'll throw in my praise of the EP Booster. Its a great boost that drives your amp a little harder. I have to say that it is the most used pedal on my board, and the only pedal that if you took out my chain would cause me difficulty. I've used it in conjunction with those marshalls before with great results.

For the type of music you're playing, you've got it mostly covered with what you have. I think there is a lot to be said for simplicity on a board.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by moskeedog
I'll definitely check it out. I saw a video on an Ibanez Tube Screamer and I really liked it, the guy used it as like a second channel, combining it with both the clean and distorted sound of his amp.

I think the SD-1 is the way to go though, seeing as its not only cheaper, but I've read the switch works a lot better than the tube screamer. I'll try it out next time I head to Guitar Center.

Yeah either the tubescreamer (or clone) or sd1 should work for that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Ibanez TS-9 OD pedal i have is a great clean boost. when paired with my amp distortion it rings out some great sound.....

I am very happy i purchased the tube screamer
Fender HRD - LTD.
Epi Les Paul 100 series Lefty w/ SD HRD
Fender Mexi Tele - Lefty
Martin D45 lefty
BlueRidge BR- 160 - 12 Lefty
Ditto X2 Looper
Ibanez TS-9, FL 301('79)
MXR Carbon Copy, COMP
Fulltone OCD
EB VP Jr.
Quote by diabolical
Can't you just use your multifx in the fx loop?
Three months ago, I would have said yes. A friend of mine told me there really is no substitute for individual pedals, and I had a hard time believing him.

Multifx pedals to me sound too artificial. And the sound is so much better just coming out of a good tube amp, which you can shape later with individual pedals. Plus I don't want to have to rely upon a multifx to get the tone I want.

Of course this is all my opinion, in fact it feels weird saying it. I guess I don't feel qualified to say what someone else had to say to me just a few months ago, . I really changed what I had been doing for years, but I would never go back. Playing guitar has been so much better as a whole.
Quote by moskeedog
Three months ago, I would have said yes. A friend of mine told me there really is no substitute for individual pedals, and I had a hard time believing him.

Multifx pedals to me sound too artificial. And the sound is so much better just coming out of a good tube amp, which you can shape later with individual pedals. Plus I don't want to have to rely upon a multifx to get the tone I want.

Of course this is all my opinion, in fact it feels weird saying it. I guess I don't feel qualified to say what someone else had to say to me just a few months ago, . I really changed what I had been doing for years, but I would never go back. Playing guitar has been so much better as a whole.

for an OD, i would look into a Timmy, cmattmods signa drive, and the voodoo lab sparkle drive.

look for one of the four knob MXR chorus pedals from the 80's. i had one made some money on it but i miss it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well, it really depends, if you use the multifx unit to just use some of the effects, such as chorus, compression, and no amp of cabinet modeling, you can pretty much achieve the same thing. If it a quality multifx unit, most likely there'll be little signal loss.

To give an example, the guitarist for Helstar, toured with a Line 6 HD 400 in a 4 cable configuration for signal switching and effects. For his distortion sounds he used a 5150 III head, and sounded great. The head had midi switching so his multifx unit switched his sound patches and amp channels for him.

Actually thinking about it probably signal loss was just as bad as chaining several different effect pedals together. Different strokes for different folks, but in live or jam situation I think the difference is negligible.

There is the immediacy of effect pedals that is desirable, but at the same time there is also the instant accessibility of sound patches that is desirable for the other method, so if you know what you're doing, both are valid and work.
I know, although I'm really not sure it could. It's really old, one of those units that gives presets for certain song sounds, and even the clean channels sound bad. It's really big too. I don't see myself hauling it around, just for some modulation effects.

On top of that the 9v power jack is really "jacked" up in a way that if the cord is rotated a certain way, power gets completely cut off. So it's really a lot of things contributing to why I can't use it. All in all, I prefer individual pedals anyway now. Thank you for your help though.
Quote by no one, ever
I absolutely love the pop scene nowadays. So many artists with real musical talent!
keep in mind that you don't have to duplicate every effect from every song either. kinda silly to buy a pedal for 1 or 2 songs. unless the effect is critical to the song then chances are many in the audience won't miss it. when recording i use all kinds of things often in a subtle way. live those types of things often get lost (unless you have an awesome PA and great room to play in).
Quote by monwobobbo
keep in mind that you don't have to duplicate every effect from every song either. kinda silly to buy a pedal for 1 or 2 songs. unless the effect is critical to the song then chances are many in the audience won't miss it. when recording i use all kinds of things often in a subtle way. live those types of things often get lost (unless you have an awesome PA and great room to play in).
Yeah, that's what I said. I only wanted your opinions on some of the essentials, or what you guys like and use most. Obviously I'm not going to duplicate your rigs, I'm going to try some pedals out myself and see what would benefit me. Thanks though
Quote by no one, ever
I absolutely love the pop scene nowadays. So many artists with real musical talent!
Quote by moskeedog
I know, although I'm really not sure it could. It's really old, one of those units that gives presets for certain song sounds, and even the clean channels sound bad. It's really big too. I don't see myself hauling it around, just for some modulation effects.

On top of that the 9v power jack is really "jacked" up in a way that if the cord is rotated a certain way, power gets completely cut off. So it's really a lot of things contributing to why I can't use it. All in all, I prefer individual pedals anyway now. Thank you for your help though.

Well, my thinking is that you can hook it up and see what you like. For example, there are a few effects that I need most of the time which are boost/overdrive, chorus and delay; some that I like to occasionally throw in like wah, flange, phaser. So the idea is to figure what these are with the multifx and then dump it and buy pedals once you've narrowed it down...or get a better multifx unit.
Quote by diabolical
Well, my thinking is that you can hook it up and see what you like. For example, there are a few effects that I need most of the time which are boost/overdrive, chorus and delay; some that I like to occasionally throw in like wah, flange, phaser. So the idea is to figure what these are with the multifx and then dump it and buy pedals once you've narrowed it down...or get a better multifx unit.
I could do that. I've got a fairly good idea of what each effect does, but yeah I could definitely use that to see which ones I like. I like to head over to Guitar Center every once in a while to test out pedals I'm looking to buy, so that would help. Thanks again
Quote by no one, ever
Quote by diabolical

That's kinda what portable digital modelers like my Korg Px4, 5 and Tascam GT-R1* let me do...plus other things. Like record or directly interface with computers.

* see also devices like Line6 PODs and Boss Micro BRs
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!