Page 1 of 4
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/01/navy_vet_100_persuades_protest.html

"U.S. Navy veteran Dario Raschio was all smiles Saturday as he awaited a special honor from U.S. Sen. Ron Wyden, who joined him at Portland Community College's Southeast Campus to present the 100-year-old with a handful of medals.

"I feel I'm no hero," said Raschio, dynamic and spry, before the event. "I don't accept it as being a hero. I accept it as being a part of my job."

Shortly after Wyden began speaking, though, protesters erupted in the back of the room, shouting "hands-up, don't shoot!" More than 100 pushed through the doors, banged on the windows from outside and hoisted signs.

After 15 minutes of shouting, Wyden persuaded the group to stop and let him proceed with the medal presentation."
"Hands up, don't shoot!" has to be the most asinine protest statement ever created. It fuels ignorance and oversimplifies the circumstances of the incidents it aims to criticize.
Parklife.
There's some kind of irony in there about this guy fighting for the rights that allow these protestors to act in this manner, but talk about disrespectful.
This is why people hate protesters, even if they have a legitimate reason to be protesting they pick the most inappropriate place to do it. ****ing with some 100 year old dude's well deserved honor ceremony is shameful. Hate on the war all you want but don't disrespect the soldiers, especially those who fought in wars before you were even born.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
"Demonstrators across the country have used "don't shoot" and "hands up" as rallying cries following the fatal shooting of Michael Brown by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, last fall. "I can't breathe" references the death of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man who died in July following a chokehold by a New York City police officer."

and what the **** does this have to do with this guy getting medals for serving in WWII?
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
and what the **** does this have to do with this guy getting medals for serving in WWII?
qft
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Jesus cringed.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Quote by Drop -D
There's some kind of irony in there about this guy fighting for the rights that allow these protestors to act in this manner, but talk about disrespectful.

he fought in the revolutionary war?

wow, guess there was a typo, it said he was only 100
I live in Seattle and I hate the urban douchebag vegan pseudo-intellectual hipsters.

But damn, we pale in comparison to the amount of douchebaggery of Portland. They literally have their motto as Keep Portland Weird.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
#Portland

The area around Portland is beautiful, but holy shit, the people there are so far up their own asses
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Last edited by SGstriker at Jan 5, 2015,
Poor guy. Dude probably isn't going to be around much longer and one of his last moments in life he is being celebrated for good things he's done and a bunch of smelly hood hippies have to go and ruin it. Dude is 100 years old, just because he's white doesn't mean he's a threat to them.
"These so called protesters have a grandiose sense of self righteousness that defies common civility.

Their guerrilla tactic of taking over and drowning out everyone else shows what self centered megalomaniacs they truly are.

This is why they will never be taken seriously by the mainstream. Ever."
Quote by Skullivan
"Hands up, don't shoot!" has to be the most asinine protest statement ever created. It fuels ignorance and oversimplifies the circumstances of the incidents it aims to criticize.
Parklife.
Pretty much sums it up.

But hey! They got on the news for disrupting what many consider an important honor for a guy who is 100 ****ing years old. Never mind what WWII has to do with this. Cripes.
What a bunch of ****ing idiots. He's a 100 year old man who served his country in the Navy, ffs, not some racist murderer. Did they even know what the ceremony was for?
Quote by Eastwinn
he fought in the revolutionary war?

wow, guess there was a typo, it said he was only 100

something something nazis conquering the word
"I'm mad because the government is celebrating some old white dude while people we don't even have any association with, or knowledge of other than race baiting media reports, die because of police."

I think people should stop watching the news and worrying about shit that doesn't matter to their lives. Why don't people know that news is like 98% lies and 2% truth?

Quote by deadsmileyface
who gives a **** about some old dude getting some awards lol

Aren't you just edgy.........
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Jan 6, 2015,
Quote by Kyleisthename
I'm mad because the government is celebrating some old white dude while people we don't even have any association with, or knowledge of other than race baiting media reports, die because of police.

I think people should stop watching the news and worrying about shit that doesn't matter to their lives. Why don't people know that news is like 98% lies and 2% truth?

peak

yeah man, **** empathy
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
peak

yeah man, **** empathy

So, why don't you protest for every person that dies for some kind of wrong doing?
Why didn't people protest for all the people that died in like Chicago do to violence?
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
So, why don't you protest for every person that dies for some kind of wrong doing?
probs cos their deaths weren't as prominently featured by the media
Why didn't people protest for all the people that died in like Chicago do to violence?
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface

Ikr.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
What a bunch of ****ing idiots. He's a 100 year old man who served his country in the Navy, ffs, not some racist murderer. Did they even know what the ceremony was for?

The ceremony was for most race-motivated murders
Quote by deadsmileyface

I mean, WWII. It's a cool ass ceremony for a cool ass dude.

ffs just read this

One harrowing incident took place on Easter Sunday in 1944. He had been on a mission and took gunfire. When returning to the ship, his plane went down in the ocean and he figured that he and his passenger were likely to die in the water. A Navy destroyer came along a few hours later and rescued the pair, just as sharks were beginning to circle.

______
I absolutely don't see the connection between the US Navy and Ferguson PD. I don't think there's anything wrong with the "hands up, don't shoot" protests and I fully support them but... why? Why the hell would you protest there? What am I missing? It's nonsensical. There really is zero connection.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by deadsmileyface

Well no duh, people only care about issues they see on TV. People love force fed agendas because they don't have to think.

Are you only supposed to empathize because it's shown on the news?
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
Well no duh, people only care about issues they see on TV. People love force fed agendas because they don't have to think.

Are you only supposed to empathize because it's shown on the news?

no, you can empathize with whatever you like. im sure there are people out there protesting the deaths of lesser known victims.
banned
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yes, you idiot, because you can't empathize with something that you don't know fucking happened.

basically this. the reason there are so many people protesting these deaths is that they are the ones that happened to be covered heavily by the media. that doesnt mean the lives of those victims are more/less important than those less talked about.
banned
Quote by Kyleisthename
I'm mad because the government is celebrating some old white dude while people we don't even have any association with, or knowledge of other than race baiting media reports, die because of police.

and what would you have us do instead? Lynch the police? Destroy those meant to protect us? That'll cause a utopian society when the murderers, thieves, rapists etc. run rampant.

EDIT: ^ you mean sympathise?
Quote by Pastafarian96
and what would you have us do instead? Lynch the police? Destroy those meant to protect us? That'll cause a utopian society when the murderers, thieves, rapists etc. run rampant.

EDIT: ^ you mean sympathise?

I forgot to put quotations around what I typed in the first few sentences. I was poking at the logic of protesters.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yes, you idiot, because you can't empathize with something that you don't know fucking happened.

Why does that have to come from news organizations?
Why can't people worry about issues that actually pertain to their lives?
People protested where I am but I've never heard of inequality of police violence in my area.

Speaking from personal experience, they will lie to get people to watch or be actively engaged in what they are reporting.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by Kyleisthename

Because no one in France would ever know if someone died in Germany unless the news reports it. No one has ESP
Quote by Kyleisthename
People protested where I am but I've never heard of inequality of police violence in my area.

What a myopic view of the world you've got there.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Kyleisthename
it doesnt.
they can and they do
what is your area? just curious.

Speaking from personal experience, they will lie to get people to watch or be actively engaged in what they are reporting.

that doesnt mean people should give up on keeping up with current events
banned
I just really wanna know what protesting does in the fashion that was demonstrated here?
Why not actively inform people and try to get legislation passed to have more police oversight/monitoring?
Would people be protesting if all races got killed equally?
Quote by deadsmileyface

that doesnt mean people should give up on keeping up with current events

But, at the end of the day, what do you gain from it?

How can you possibly know or form a solid opinion when you don't have personal knowledge about something? or I'd even say credible information

Quote by ErikLensherr
What a myopic view of the world you've got there.

Because I should care about issues that don't pertain to my personal life. Forming a view on something I have no knowledge of, other than what other people say, is going to benefit me.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab