So I just received my Peavey ValveKing 112 today, (stock, older model) and almost immediately I heard the speaker problems that I was warned about.

I was thinking about swapping out the speaker for this one as a budget, refined Celestion 30: http://wgs4.com/Retro30 (or WGS' Vintage 30) or the Eminence Man O War/Governor: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...#productDetail

Any other suggestions? Again, my styles are Alternative, post-rock, ambience, worship music, etc.

I think I need a 16 ohm speaker. I don't really want to spend more than $90 USD. I'm leaning towards the Retro 30.

Edit: Shoot, this should have been in GB&C. I'm so used to posting in GG&A.
Edit2: Thank you c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 5, 2015,
The WGS T75 copy would work pretty good imo, less harsh than the v30 for sure.

Also I'm a jensen fanboi so I'mma throw a P12K suggestion in here.
Not sure if you're gonna find one for less than $90 though.

Also this kinda qestion is usually posted in the GG&A section, with the GB&C being about more in depth-customizing usually.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 5, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
The WGS T75 copy would work pretty good imo, less harsh than the v30 for sure.

Also I'm a jensen fanboi so I'mma throw a P12K suggestion in here.
Not sure if you're gonna find one for less than $90 though.

Also this kinda qestion is usually posted in the GG&A section, with the GB&C being about more in depth-customizing usually.

The 75 wattage wouldn't mess anything up, would it?

Also, I can't find the Jensen P12K speaker. Did you mean the C12K?
For what you have listed as your style(s) of music, might I suggest something greenbacky perhaps an Eminence Legend gb128 or and Eminence Private Jack. They get the clarity and warmth of the GB sound but don't have the flabby bottom end.
The retro30 is brighter than the Veteran30 both are takes on the V30
The WGS Reaper HP is also a good speaker
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Will Lane
The 75 wattage wouldn't mess anything up, would it?
The rated power of the speakers should be at least as much as the power produced by the amp, so no, you won't have any problem with it.
Quote by Will Lane
Also, I can't find the Jensen P12K speaker. Did you mean the C12K?
Yes I meant C12K, sorry.
Though I thought the VK produced 60w - you may as well get a C12N.
Or you could try the WGS copy chich they call G12C.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Look into the veteran 30, I have it in my valveking 112 and its a great speaker.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by Robbgnarly
The retro30 is brighter than the Veteran30 both are takes on the V30

I was gonna say, WGS has two V30-style speakers. I haven't tried either, but I thought, as you said, the veteran was the more mellow version. if that's what will wants.

an Eminence Legend V12 might also be worth a shout, if he wants V30 (ish, it's not a clone) but mellower.

Quote by guitarsngear
For what you have listed as your style(s) of music, might I suggest something greenbacky perhaps an Eminence Legend gb128 or and Eminence Private Jack. They get the clarity and warmth of the GB sound but don't have the flabby bottom end.

I'd just be concerned they're not rated highly enough. Eminence has a bit of a rep (not sure if justified or not, but I suspect so... and I'm not chancing it! ) of being a bit optimistic with both its sensitivity ratings (how loud the speaker is, everything else being equal) and its wattage ratings (how much wattage you can put into the speaker before it dies). Personally I'd be wary of putting a 50 watt eminence into a 50 watt (tube) amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 6, 2015,
I think a celestion V type might be might be a great option if you can stretch the budget by $10 or so
I should also point out that I haven't tried those speakers in a valveking.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah Dave I remember always hearing the V12 was V30ish, but honestly I don't think they resemble each other that much. My G12h30's sound more like a V30 than my V12's do.

But V12's are a good speaker and if you don't want a bright tone they are great. the mids are great and the bass is nice, but the high end is subdued
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ huh that's funny, i'd have said my v12s sounded closer to a v30 than a g12h30- though i agree with you that they're nowhere near clones (the magnet is a different weight for a start). the mids and subdued high end and tight bass remind me of a v30. whereas (to my ears, and from memory ) a g12h30 is more scooped in the mids and has more top end and a not-so-tight (but tighter than a greenback I guess) bass.

i guess, it sort of reminded me of a v30, but like a much mellower one. rather than a clone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah the G12h30 have a bigger looser bass, but they have lots of mids and highs also and that is where I draw the comparison to. I think it maybe that the g12h30 are also very aggressive like a V30 and the V12 is like you said pretty mellow.

I like certain speakers for certain applications over others
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by sytharnia1560
when we say V12 are we talking this speaker http://celestion.com/speakerworld/guitartech/3/91/The_all_new__V-TYPE_Guitar_Speaker_:_Radical_New_Tone/

???

the demo's I have heard sound very V30 with the annoying mid range dominance

No the V12 we are referring to is made by Eminence the full name is Legend V128 or V1216 (the 8/16 designate ohms)
http://www.eminence.com/?s=legend+v12&x=0&y=0

What you linked is the Celestion Vtype
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How is this amp overall with an updated speaker? Im in the market for a decent and fairly inexpensive tube amp? Most importantly does it have a master volume? I live in a townhouse and dont wanna piss my neighbors off. I play mostly blues and classic rock, not a lot of gain. I get most of my tone with pedals and pick attack. Thanks guys
With the stock speaker, some tweaking, and the jack dummy trick, it can sound okay. But with a better speaker it can sound so much better. There are lots of demos on YouTube showing the stock vs updated speakers.

It does not have a master volume. It can get soft without sounding bad though.

Any other suggestions for my speaker swap? I haven't been really too convinced out of the Retro 30 :/
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 7, 2015,
^ If you want spark in the high end, I'm not sure a V30 (or V30-inspired) speaker is what you want. The top end is kind of rolled off in them.

Quote by Robbgnarly
(a) Yeah the G12h30 have a bigger looser bass, but they have lots of mids and highs also and that is where I draw the comparison to. I think it maybe that the g12h30 are also very aggressive like a V30 and the V12 is like you said pretty mellow.

(b) I like certain speakers for certain applications over others

(a) I'd have said the g12h30 was a little bit scooped, but then again that's compared to a v30 or a greenback which have tons of mids the g12h30 may well have a fair amount of mids too, just not as much as those other two.

I think the g12h30 has more highs than a v30 as well. a lot of people think the v30 is really bright, and it does have a lot of high mids which can sort of give that impression, but the real top end is actually rolled off I think. Especially when it's broken-in.

(b) Agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think the g12h30 has more highs than a v30 as well. a lot of people think the v30 is really bright, and it does have a lot of high mids which can sort of give that impression, but the real top end is actually rolled off I think. Especially when it's broken-in.

So would a WGS 30 (vet or retro) be worse than the VK stock speaker in that regard? I'm on a tight budget and time-frame to get a new speaker (biggish performance soon), so I don't want to rush and regret but I need it quick.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 7, 2015,
I doubt it'd be worse objectively, but if it doesn't do the tone you want it might subjectively be.

Problem is I've never swapped the speaker in a VK (only tried them in shops) so I don't know what the stock VK speaker is really like. And it's ages since I've tried the VK anyway.

I understand the concerns about regretting a quick purchase, the problem is I'm not sure I can give any more help than I have already
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
No the V12 we are referring to is made by Eminence the full name is Legend V128 or V1216 (the 8/16 designate ohms)
http://www.eminence.com/?s=legend+v12&x=0&y=0

What you linked is the Celestion Vtype

oh good I hoped that was the case

my post should have read the celestion V type is very V30ish but WITHOUT the annoying midrange dominance
Quote by Dave_Mc
I doubt it'd be worse objectively, but if it doesn't do the tone you want it might subjectively be.

Problem is I've never swapped the speaker in a VK (only tried them in shops) so I don't know what the stock VK speaker is really like. And it's ages since I've tried the VK anyway.

I understand the concerns about regretting a quick purchase, the problem is I'm not sure I can give any more help than I have already
Well I appreciate your (and everyone else's) help. I think I'm going to go with the Retro 30, and if I don't like it I can get another speaker after the gig. Probably something G12H-esque.

Edit: Just kidding, found a WGS G12 clone: http://wgs4.com/et65. I ordered the Retro 30. I chose that speaker for hardly any reason, they sound almost identical. I just heard a bit more pop to it. I think I'll see about matching the ET65 and the Retro 30 someday. The WGS rep suggested the Retro 30 as well (what a nice company).
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 8, 2015,
nice let us know what you think when you get it

FWIW i didn't really like the et65 combined with a vintage 30. However, they were in separate cabs (so not a great test) and also i think the veteran 30 is meant to be the one WGS says combines really well with the et65, and the veteran 30 isn't really a v30 clone I don't think, it's sort of tweaked. so that might explain it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the vintage 30 shouldn't sound scooped, if it does there's something wrong. it's got tons of mids, it's almost like having a tubescreamer in speaker form.

the vet sounds more scooped to me, though it's hard to tell from vids (and you don't know how he has the amp dialled in etc.).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh ja, silly me. True. It just sounded relatively different in that vid, the Vet sounded a lot punchier and firmer. Then again, my ears might be broke from listening to speaker demos the past few days D:
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 8, 2015,
yeah it's pretty hard to tell from clips. it sounded to me like they had slightly different mids. but i could well be wrong.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?