I have a Tascam DP-008 EX and I've been doing some basic recordings with my band. However occasionally I want to record on the fly things we are writing but unfortunately the on-board mics are not equipped to handle the high noise levels. So we actually get a better quality recording if we use our cell phones - or use the Tascam, but put it in another room of the house to reduce levels. However that route muffles the sound and makes it difficult to distinguish any notes.

Do any of you have any solutions on how to record with a device such as this one? I'm not looking to plug directly in. as a band some of the things we write are single riffs and may be tossed out but we would still like to get good recordings on the fly without going through all the annoyances of setting up the actual recording rig with direct inputs.

Ideas?
You'd probably want two room mics that you can have plugged in at all times, and you'd want pad switches on those mics for sure. That would get you better sound without overloading the mics and no need for difficult setup/breakdown every day.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
You'd probably want two room mics that you can have plugged in at all times, and you'd want pad switches on those mics for sure. That would get you better sound without overloading the mics and no need for difficult setup/breakdown every day.

Do you have an example on these mics? I'm not familiar with the recording side of things and I bought this Tascam so we could avoid the need for sitting down at a computer to write stuff. Our band is great at coming up with riffs and songs without warning. Friday we wrote an entire song minus lyrics in a span of 30 minutes. We want to be able to capture those moments as cleanly as possible.
What's your budget?

These are the best professional bang for the buck at $600/pair (cheaper used) http://www.oktava-online.com/mk012.htm

If you have a very low budget, a pair of 12 Gauge Microphones Reds will work for $70, or their black stereo XY for $80 (then you only need one mic clip/stand). They'd sound awesome, but they don't have pads so if you have very high SPLs, you might want their Blue Mics (made ofr high SPL situations). http://www.12gaugemicrophones.com/
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jan 5, 2015,
I was hoping to get everything I need for >$200USD if possible. Right now this is just a passing thought. For some reason the band isn't too interested in recording at the moment because we "Aren't ready for recording and don't have lyrics complete" when my goal is just to capture those riffs we right and the stuff we make up when we're just goofing around.
Quote by syntheticocean
I was hoping to get everything I need for >$200USD if possible. Right now this is just a passing thought. For some reason the band isn't too interested in recording at the moment because we "Aren't ready for recording and don't have lyrics complete" when my goal is just to capture those riffs we right and the stuff we make up when we're just goofing around.

Grab a pair of 12-gauge mics and two stands/clips/cables and you'll come in under $200. All of that equipment will pull double duty once you're ready to record as well.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
I couldn't find specs on your unit's mics, but see if you can. Sometimes they have pads that you can engage to combat high SPLs or lower the gain, read the manual it might mention it there. I'm downloading it so I'd see if I can find the page.

So far I see:
http://tascam.com/product/dp-008ex/
"Microphone sensitivity can be selected from 3-positions (Low/Mid/High)" - so in your case it needs to be on low.
Try that first!

OK - I think it is chapter 6 Basic Recording.

Sounds like you have phantom power on the unit so you could possibly buy one condenser mic which can handle higher SPLs (sound pressure levels) and has a padding. It will record mono but you probably don't need more. You could also get a PZM mic which has lower SPLs, like this one:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SoundGrabber
I used to do stereo setup with this when tracking drums and they do really well. Don't be afraid to seek them used. Just one will do for you needs, prop in the middle on a mic stand on gaffer tape to the wall.

Your unit records two tracks at a time so you could possibly get a line out from your amp straight into the Tascam and record that and stick a dynamic mic facing the drummer and record that.

Another budget solution would be to get a cheapie mixer (something with 8 inputs will do) and a cheap dynamic mic, say AKG D3200 or Shure PG58 pointed at the drummer, then mix take the stereo out from that and record into the Tascam.
Just get two Shure SM58 or 57 mics and plug them in. You can never have enough Shure 57 or 58 mics either way. The Tascam has mic pads on each channel that will lower the mics incoming signal sufficently for your needs. They are the two "Trim" Input A and Input B knobs on the top row.