Described as "Muscular, intelligent and ace" by Adam Walton of BBC Radio Wales and "Better than a pint of bees" ... by us, Shot of Hornets are a three-piece mathy, funky, rock extravaganza from North Wales. The band was formed by brothers Conor and Dan Cahalane after a decision to retire other projects.

Though Shot of Hornets expands upon the sound explored in our previous bands, we hope to take it in newer, darker and somewhat more technical directions with plenty of twists. Expect our debut ep and gigs in the next couple of months. Exciting times!

We've just released our first single "Elvis is Dead?" hot on the tail of the aforementioned national radio play, so check it out. And if you like what you hear, hit us up on the ol' fb page.
Last edited by Of_Wolves at Jun 4, 2016,
Quick up date time!

We'll be back in the studio the first week of February to record two more songs, so look out for that.
Hey Of_Wolves!

Really cool single you got there! Reminds me alot of older Biffy Clyro with a bit more chaos on top. And you even got 2 brothers (I hope I'm right) in your band as Biffy Clyro :-p. The production sound is really fine, everything is well mixed. Stoked to hear more from you soon!
Quote by coheedisonfire
Hey Of_Wolves!

Really cool single you got there! Reminds me alot of older Biffy Clyro with a bit more chaos on top. And you even got 2 brothers (I hope I'm right) in your band as Biffy Clyro :-p. The production sound is really fine, everything is well mixed. Stoked to hear more from you soon!

Yeah you're totally right there. Dan and Conor are brothers. I guess when you put it that way there is a bit of a Biffy vibe going on haha Also thanks, I'm super happy with the production on the track. Well worth what we paid the guy!

We hope to have something else out around March time.
Here's a link to a new track off our EP.

https://soundcloud.com/shotofhornets/kicking-screaming

Oh, and if you fancy poking around the rest of the page, you'll find a bunch of demos, acoustics, live tracks, and an old, old EP (from before we were Shot of Hornets).
So I have to admit, I opened up "Elvis Is Dead?" and before the vocals came in I was expecting someone to just mindlessly scream into a microphone the whole time and was hoping that wouldn't be the case. So I have to salute you guys in not doing that.

In fact, you guys do a very excellent blend of clean vocals and screaming, I greatly enjoy it. It seems you have a nice balance between being a metal band and a really heavy grunge band. The recordings are very well done, so props to your producer as well.

Needless to say, I checked out the rest of your stuff and I really like it all! I'll definitely be following you and keeping an eye out for future stuff you guys do.
Quote by BreatheOver
So I have to admit, I opened up "Elvis Is Dead?" and before the vocals came in I was expecting someone to just mindlessly scream into a microphone the whole time and was hoping that wouldn't be the case. So I have to salute you guys in not doing that.

In fact, you guys do a very excellent blend of clean vocals and screaming, I greatly enjoy it. It seems you have a nice balance between being a metal band and a really heavy grunge band. The recordings are very well done, so props to your producer as well.

Needless to say, I checked out the rest of your stuff and I really like it all! I'll definitely be following you and keeping an eye out for future stuff you guys do.

Thanks a lot man!

And yeah, we're not fans of mindlessness
Ok, I'm finally here. As I said in Inmotion's post, I've listened to the entire EP. Here we go, song by song

-Sonic Equivalent: good introductory song for Kiss The Ground (and I guess that might be your objective with it). I enjoyed it although I haven't got much more to say about it.

-Kiss The Ground: I really loved this one, man!. I mean, it has everything to be considered a great rock song: powerful and tight riffs, great clean guitar work, an energetic and lively vocal performance (and still raw and "gutsy" in the louder parts!) a rock-solid drums/bass backbone and a fair amount of different parts: enough for not boring the listener, enough for being a diverse song. Great work on this one.

-Kicking and Screaming: I like the drums/bass work. They sound really well together. Props to the guitar work as well, as for clean as for distorted. I think it could be your potencially future "sing-aloud song" lol. But. seriously, it's a catchy yet well-done song, and in my opinion it's not that easy to create that kind of thing.

-Elvis is Dead?: I must acknowledge this was the only I song I didn't dig from the beginning. Don't know why, if you ask me now lol, because the riffs are really aggresive and in-your-face and still sound precise and clear. A great thing about this song is that the many sections it has work well together; they don't feel as forced or poorly connected. The only part that wasn't convincing enough to me was from 4:15 to 5:06. Don't get me wrong: it's not rubbish at all, but I'm not really convinced of the second time you sing the vocal line (...turning my back on ignorance, turning my back on selfish people...) because I feel it a bit repetitive. Otherwise, I liked it almost completely.

Overall, if you ask me....that was a great work, pal! Really. I enjoyed every song I listened even considering I listened to them a lot of times before writing this. They are all intense and powerful in their own nature without having to sound forcefully loud and still have a fair amount of dynamics and details. I also really digged the EP in terms of recording: the mix is clear enough to tell every instrument from the other and still sounding raw and muscular (and not having a noisy mess). Rounding up, thanks for sharing and congrats for a great effort!
Quote by Tzirhk
Ok, I'm finally here. As I said in Inmotion's post, I've listened to the entire EP. Here we go, song by song

-SNIP-

Thanks for the comments! I very much appreciated the play-by-play feedback.

Elvis Is Dead is definitely a denser block of music, but ironically that's the track that's had the most radio play

Our 2nd EP has just been released for a limited time for free download!

Recorded by the fantastic Rich Roberts @ Ferlas Studios near Porthmadog, its soon to be available through all good digital retailers. We're supremely proud of it, and excited to finally let the world get their ears around it!

"Sweet lord it's a monsterous EP" - Furian

"Full of awesome screams, clean vocals, amazing riffs, fantastic melody, memorable lyrics..
It is very DON BROCO mixed with Muse !!"
- Dan Pearce @ Radio Deeside (about the song Everything With Nothing)

We've got a number of gigs lined up if you're ever in the Chester/North Wales, UK area. Come on down, have a night out, support the local scene, and all that good stuff.

Ah, the Munroe Effect! Good stuff. A lot of bands like us tend to be based in the south of England (Go figure, right!) whereas we're fairly Northern. But we're definitely looking to do some more far flung gigs. Maybe we'll hit them and few others up one of these days

Thanks for checking us out!
We've been very busy as of late, and I've totally forgotten to update you lovely lot!

First of all, the July 1st full release of our 2nd EP is fast approaching! We've had a number of brilliant reviews: an interview with the guys at Vents, inclusion on a mixtape, a review in Jamsphere magazine, among others. All pretty damn overwhelming for an unsigned band like us!

Stoked doesn't begin to express how excited we are to release this mother for real on itunes, spotify, etc and of course in the form of actual physical CDs for those who are that way inclined. Our singles are out now on itunes and spotify for purchase.

Second. And perhaps the most exciting thing to happen this year for us. We've gone ahead and recorded a new ditty called "On Thin Ice", and... wait for it... shot ourselves a lovely little video to accompany it! (Directed by the talented, and all round great guy, Christian Scott)

On Thin Ice and more songs besides will be included on our upcoming album.

That, and more--including info about upcoming gigs and releases and general assortedness--can be found on our Facebook Page.

Heres a direct link to the vid: On Thin Ice - Official Video

If you dig what we're doing, share us.

If you don't, shame on you, and share us anyway haha
Pretty tasty new review (for those of you who want a second opinion on whether you should give us a listen) over on Musically Fresh

In other news we're back in the studio at the end of October to get more work done on the next CD!

In the meantime you could always watch our ugly beardy mugs on youtube link in my signature