I recently bought a Ibanez 270DX (2001 Build) with a licensed Floyd Rose. This is my first tremolo guitar and I would like to update the Tremolo to make it more stable.

ANy suggestion on what would work in this 270DX. Maybe trolling eBay and buying a original Floyd? Or what about the brass blocks?

theDogger
brass big blocks are a fantastic idea. I have one in a BC Rich and it sounds fixed bridge as it compensates for the wood missing.

bridge wise ...
try the original 1000, an ebay seller sells them for 100$ us dollars (free shipping) with a new locking nut and all to install. They come in the 3 major colors you'd want. The reason the seller I'm thinking of on ebay is selling them so cheap is the block on them isn't the same, besides that it's a Korean OEM original 1000 tremolo by floyd rose. Other than that they check out. I've taken 3 of them apart and modded them.

the 1000 is like a german schaller the 200$ ones. All steel hardware but made in Korea to keep costs down. Avoid the special series. It's got a steel baseplate but besides that it's just a jazzed up overpriced licensed.

in fact the only way to tell a 1000 apart from a german is flipping over the baseplate or tremolo. With the 1000 it says just "floyd rose" no licensed anywhere. It's made in Korea which is why many schecters, LTD and so forth have it. weight wise was around 300-400g where as a licensed is maybe half that last time I checked. I'm kind of curious if Floyd Rose dealers sell them.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jan 5, 2015,
Ok will this fit the 270DX? Looking on eBay...you have a seller name or link to auction?

theDogger
do you happen to know the name of the trem on that guitar
if its an ibanez dx model it probably has an edge 3 trem in there like my old dxl had
the only bridge i can think of that would be a direct repalcement would be an edge pro
I'll double check the guitar but an Edge III for example it's a direct replacement for. couldn't find my seller I can vouch for but try emailing a floyd rose dealer near you. The FRT 1000 I believe is the model number.

but on ebay the sellers name I'm trying to remember what else he sold as I was buying 1000$ American worth of stuff every month on ebay for guitar parts so this is going to be fun.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jan 5, 2015,
I think the Edge III first showed up around 2003 so that probably isn't what you have. I have an earlier Korean made RG270DX. I never tried to replace the trem, which was single locking, only at the nut. I did upgrade it with some standard Floyd parts though. I turned the existing trem into a double locking pretty cheap. Might be worth considering if you don't want to sink the money into a floyd.

Here are the details.
https://gideond.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/ibanez-rg270dx-tremolo-upgrade-for-cheap/
Quote by Tallwood13
I'll double check the guitar but an Edge III for example it's a direct replacement for. couldn't find my seller I can vouch for but try emailing a floyd rose dealer near you. The FRT 1000 I believe is the model number.

but on ebay the sellers name I'm trying to remember what else he sold as I was buying 1000$ American worth of stuff every month on ebay for guitar parts so this is going to be fun.

I had an Ibanez RGR420EX SAR with an Edge 3 , and a OFR would not fit on it without having to do some routing work on the cavity. Some people claim they are a direct swap, but I'll be damned if it was direct for me.

Floyd Rose doesn't sell or supply anyone with new over the shelf FR-x000's (They state that right on their website. The only ones that are available anywhere are used ones (and the FR Specials of course). The seller you're mentioning sounds like he may be selling counterfeits. If he claims they're new/unused, and they are not coming with the nickle plated brass sustain blocks that all FR-x000's come with, that's 2 big red flags right there. I wouldn't trust them.

From your other post before. You can tell a Korean OFR from a German one easily without having to remove it. For 1. most, but not all Korean's have beveled saddles, whereas the Germans all have squared. 2. A dead giveaway on all Korean ones is the string lock bolts. They are a little thinner and have knurls on the side edges of the heads of the string lock bolts. The German ones have thicker bolts and smooth bolt heads on the sides.

Otherwise, dimensions and grades of steel used for the base plate and saddles is identical to the German's, as is the nickle plated brass sustain block. So they are both equally dependable. The Specials use the same grade of steel for the baseplates as the German & Korean, and zinc for the saddles and sustain block. So at least the most important part of the Special is high quality (the baseplate & knife edges). For $25 you can buy an OFR brass big block made by Floyd Rose and greatly improve the sound/sustain of the bridge. The FR Special is nothing to laugh at and shouldn't sway people from buying a guitar with one on it.
You need to do some measuring on your own guitar and tremolo, and then head to the floyd rose, schaller and gotoh websites and compare your measurements to the routing templates there.

Quote by Tallwood13

in fact the only way to tell a 1000 apart from a german is flipping over the baseplate or tremolo.

nah someone who's used to both can pretty quickly tell which is which without having to flip it over. a bunch of things are a little bit different (generally more crude manufacturing and tolerances on the 1000).

http://dellus.net/updates/original-floyd-rose-german-vs-korean/

EDIT: ^ ninja'd But more recent 1000s have started to have the flat, not bevelled saddles (at least in some cases). So you can't really trust that any more to differentiate between the two. But as you said, there are certainly other obvious things which will let you tell. The fine tuners, in particular, feel very cheap indeed on the 1000.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 6, 2015,
Ok here is a screen shot of the tremolo

43 mm Nut

I'll check out the Floyd site and see what I can figure-out. I would like to replace this OEM one as it will not stay in tune. As I stated this is my first tremolo guitar so plz bare with me..

Would just upgrading parts on the OEM be ok or better off to find a match on eBay and swap it out completely and add the brass big block etc...

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Jan 6, 2015,
i'd imagine your best bet is putting in a known good trem (schaller, gotoh, OFR, the gotoh-made Ibanez ones), assuming it's a direct swap, which it might not be.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's double lock so it's not like the one on mine. I'm not really sure what it is though. The others I've seen from that time period had the model of the trem stamped on the side of the base plate.
Okay, I've seen some talk about this being a Lo-TRS II in the 2001 RG270DX, which would make sense. A friend of mine has 470 from that time period and it had the Lo-TRS II. If that is definitely what you have, then a Gotoh 1996 is a direct fit. We swapped his out for one a while back. Full details below.

http://darkling.poppameth.com/ibanez-rg470-project/

The only modification needed was drilling larger holes for the new studs. You can use the existing studs if you like, but the Gotoh ones are heavier and have a locking mechanism.
Ok so more research and this is what Ibanez lists the part as. Only marking is stamped on the bottom of the trem "Licensed Floyd Rose"

I should have time to measure to night and see what Floyd Rose will fit off their site.

theDogger
that looks a bit like a single-locker (but I could be wrong)

shouldn't really matter if one of the good ones is a direct swap. your guitar has a locking nut, right?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes I have a locking nut....and I believe it's a single locking. So I would assume a original floyd rose should work...

theDogger
yeah i would imagine so (if it's a straight swap), but I haven't tried it myself.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The one in the photo you first posted of the actual guitar is a double lock. You can see the blocks in the saddles. The one in the last photo looks like mine. The double lockers have long hex bolts that tighten the block against the string from the rear of the trem. On the singles, those long bolts are replaced by hollow tubes that the strings slide into from the rear of end of the trem. We did extensive research on the Lo-TRS II before we put the Gotoh in. We went with the Gotoh because the OFR would NOT fit. I think the stud spacing was fine, but routing was required in the cavity for the block to fit correctly.