Hello, UG community! This is one of my first posts so just tell me if this is in the wrong section or something.

So, I'm looking for a cheap guitar but is high enough quality that it won't just fall apart/even with new pickups sound awful. I'm still new to guitar, so at the moment I'm just doing this for fun and for something to do, not to make it the best playing guitar ever. I want it to be cheap because, well, I have almost no extra money at the moment and because it's, like I stated above, just mostly like a hobby for me to try. It'll be the first time I've done this.

Thanks for any help given!!
www.guitarfetish.com has kits, bodies, necks, nice pickups and hardware
www.byoguitar.com has kits
a used Squier strat/tele is also a good cheap mod platform
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Will Lane
I wanted to mod a Squier Tele. Now I don't really, so read this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1662686&highlight=squier+tele+mod

TS wants to do a pickup mod maybe a few other things, you wanted to change necks and a lot more than it seems TS wants to do
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I like the guitar fetish idea a lot, but I haven't a clue what their guitars are made out of to be honest. I mean if it's plywood , basswood or something I couldn't care less. It's personal experience of course.

at the end of the day if you think it sounds good that's all that matters. Intonation and tuning stability are important too. Try craigslist. I learned so many wiring mods buying beat up guitasr with the mindset what worst could happen.

oddly enough this 50s classic vibe squier tele I got about 2 months ago (sold it fast) actually sounded good. Pure nickel strings and an aluminum pick with my hybrid of 1953 wiring and american special wiring. I used a push pull to do the greasebucket and pulled up for that 1960/1953 tele added sound
Quote by Tallwood13
I like the guitar fetish idea a lot, but I haven't a clue what their guitars are made out of to be honest.

Their website tells what wood everything is; just read the description if the title doesn't say. Their cheapest bodies are paulownia. They also have bodies made of poplar, swamp ash, and mahogany. The same choices apply to their kits.
Squier Standard or above (Classic Vibe, Vintage Modified)

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Thanks, Everyone! I'll try to post a short answer to each post.

Thanks for the links!! I would kinda rather get a Squire Strat instead of a kit but I'll see! Is it really hard to strip down the finish on one already finished? My father is a semi-professional painter and he said it wouldn't be so hard.

Mostly I just want to re-do the paint, change the pickups, and have fun with it, But thanks!!

Exactly.

What model Squire would you suggest? And I plan on it!! Can I just make a thread when I start and post pics and stuff on it as I progress?

About the craigslist thing, I'm always looking at CL. And that's exactly what I want, something beat up or at least cheap so I don't have to worry QUITE so much.

I'm not sure what to say here.

I'll go search these up.

Also, I know this is a really noobish question, but would carving something into the body/changing the shape of the body, change anything with the guitar sound wise?
Last edited by Mallowpuffs at Jan 5, 2015,
I hear that the Xavieres (Guitar Fetish) are actually pretty nice guitars and can be had for about the same as a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Squier, I believe. Both are good options, the Squiers are probably a little nicer. I had a Classic Vibe Tele Custom with P90s I've modded to hell and back and I'd recommend it. Everything you're looking at won't be quick to sand down, but if you're willing and have the time, it's definitely doable.
Quote by Mallowpuffs

What model Squire would you suggest? And I plan on it!! Can I just make a thread when I start and post pics and stuff on it as I progress?

I have an affinity that I really love the body and neck on it. I'm just about to order the parts to turn it into a guitar that I can gig with. I think somebody else mentioned this: classic vibes seem to have a good reputation, a step up or so from an affinity.

And, yes, please do make a thread when you start.

Good luck with everything! You're getting into a great hobby here. Once you learn how to customize guitars it opens up so many new possibilities.
Alrighty! If I can find a Classic vibe cheap, I'll get one, and if not I'll probably try to use an affinity. If it's alright for me to make a thread with that, I surely will! Although it may be awhile, I'm gonna try to get a better amp first/actually learn some guitar playing.

What would you say I should look for price wise on a used Affinity/CV? My local guitar shop is a bit overpriced but I'll still buy from there, they seem to have great service and just an overall great atmosphere.
You can pickup a decent used Squier for <$99
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can pickup a decent used Squier for <$99

Squire CVs are that low used? Thanks for the info either way!
Quote by Mallowpuffs

I don't know that I've ever seen a CV for that low, but the going price for a used affinity would probably be about from $70-$110.
Quote by Mallowpuffs

No, but the affinity/standard line is
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Alright, I went to the guitar shop for my lesson, and I forgot to look for a cheap guitar. Well, I guess it's next week...
Quote by Mallowpuffs
Alright, I went to the guitar shop for my lesson, and I forgot to look for a cheap guitar. Well, I guess it's next week...

Just a couple of thoughts:

I would recommend finding a gutted Strat-style guitar at a used guitar store/CL post/yardsale/whatever. If you just want something to practice modding, it doesn't really make sense to buy a Squier Classic Vibe or whatever when you plan on changing the pickups/sanding off the original finish etc.

Don't be turned off by any wood type EXCEPT for plywood. Basswood is cheap and used for economically-priced guitars, but is also used for very high-end guitars such as the Ibanez JEM series.

Guitar Fetish is probably a good starting place to buy pickups.

Keep in mind that you don't want to bite off more than you can chew. Modifying guitars is a highly addicting and fun process, but make sure you have access to the proper tools (soldering iron, hand drill, screwdrivers of various sizes, etc.) before you rip apart an instrument and find yourself with a ton of parts that you don't know how to properly reassemble.
Quote by VivaVirilium
Just a couple of thoughts:

I would recommend finding a gutted Strat-style guitar at a used guitar store/CL post/yardsale/whatever. If you just want something to practice modding, it doesn't really make sense to buy a Squier Classic Vibe or whatever when you plan on changing the pickups/sanding off the original finish etc.

Don't be turned off by any wood type EXCEPT for plywood. Basswood is cheap and used for economically-priced guitars, but is also used for very high-end guitars such as the Ibanez JEM series.

Guitar Fetish is probably a good starting place to buy pickups.

Keep in mind that you don't want to bite off more than you can chew. Modifying guitars is a highly addicting and fun process, but make sure you have access to the proper tools (soldering iron, hand drill, screwdrivers of various sizes, etc.) before you rip apart an instrument and find yourself with a ton of parts that you don't know how to properly reassemble.

Thanks!!! I'm planning on asking my local guitar shop if they have any beat up with or without pickups if it's still cheap, (With the neck still straight of course) guitars for cheap. As for the tools, yeah I stated above that my father is a Semi-Professional painter, But he does everything, so we have plenty of soldering irons, drills, hundreds of screwdrivers with everything from flat bits to star tip.
Last edited by Mallowpuffs at Jan 11, 2015,
Alright, I went to the guitar shop, There was a fender squire for 110$ like new. I think it was an affinity just cause the price. I somehow forgot to ask about a beat up one, but next time I go I'll ask, and if they don't have one I might get the affinity eventually. I still have to get an Amp and I only have 20$ at the moment so it may be awhile.
rondomusic.com. they are always alot of fun. get some cheap sx strat, my brother in law made a darth maul one once, it was dope. or just hit up guitarcenter.com grabbed my ibby rg3exfm1 for $120 and the vbt700 for $200. just look for bargains, i dont care if shit is beat up or not.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I actually MIGHT (50/50 Chance) be getting a Hondo Deluxe Series 775. Would it be worth customizing? It's supposedly in pretty rough condition, but if I get it, it's free.
Quote by Mallowpuffs
I'm still new to guitar, so at the moment I'm just doing this for fun and for something to do, not to make it the best playing guitar ever. I want it to be cheap because, well, I have almost no extra money at the moment and because it's, like I stated above, just mostly like a hobby for me to try. It'll be the first time I've done this. !

Wait. Re-read the above and Re-Consider. Might want to save the money and be ready to buy better gear when you need it.
Well, that's why I was wondering about the free guitar I may be getting. I can see what it needs and check if the local guitar shop would have some parts for really cheap, and for the actual customizing, I have so much time on my hands it's not a problem.
I remember going on their site a little while ago and certain bodies didn't. Even if it is say mahogany or whatever remember the more small pieces glued together the less good it's going to sound is my #1 concern.

never heard of paulownia personally. Poplar it's a love hate relationship. Had a Jackson Kelly XL series (1995-ish KE3) and some days i couldnt put it down other days i didnt care for it. Poplar has t his green tint to it which is why we'll never see natural guitars with it made by major companies.