Hey all,

I recently ordered an Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII, which is a 100-Watt RMS head. I have an Orange PPC212C cab, which has two Celestion Vintage 30 speakers rated at 60-Watts each; making the cab 120-Watts (16 Ohms). I am wondering if it is safe to pair this head with this cab. I Googled the issue, but I could not find any useful information on the subject. I noticed in the Rockerverb manual it lists the PPC212 cab by name. I would like to make sure these two pair together as these cabs are far from cheap.

Thanks.
Yeah you are good. Celestion typically are very stingy when rating their speakers anyway, typically you can get away with a bit more wattage than they are rated for anyways, you should be more than fine.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
OK. I was just curious as I read somewhere that the dirty channel of the Rockerverb 100 can put out 200ish Watts in certain situations.
You'd be fine even if the Cab was rated, say, 80 watts total, cause you'll likely never crank a 100w amp past 30-40% of it's power
Quote by bdof
You'd be fine even if the Cab was rated, say, 80 watts total, cause you'll likely never crank a 100w amp past 30-40% of it's power

Yep, I can almost 100% assure you I won't -- even in a show situation.

Alright, well it sounds like I am in pretty good standing then. I was more worried about damaging the head. If the cab goes, it is a $600 mistake. If the head goes, that is a $2500 mistake.
Last edited by youngncy at Jan 6, 2015,
"Rated" wattage is determined at a given distortion level, and exceeding that distortion level can produce more wattage. You're unlikely to see 200W RMS, but can certainly see peaks in that region. Vintage 30's are also rated at RMS wattages, but can handle peaks beyond that.
Quote by youngncy
OK. I was just curious as I read somewhere that the dirty channel of the Rockerverb 100 can put out 200ish Watts in certain situations.
Peak and RMS ratings, as dspellman wrote.

Also guitar power amp ratings are made up, so you focus on the numbers you see and you'll be good enough for what you wanna do.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks for the help gents.! It sounds like this cab will work fine.
You've already got your answer...though the jack plate printed 120W seems like it would have been good indication

Just curious, and this open to anybody, why pair a 100W tube head with only 2x12.

It's just strange to me. But, I'm a wall of sound kind of guy. When I have a lot of watts I want to push more speakers. I had an Orange AD30TC and I still played that through a 2x12 and 4x12.

cheers
Quote by dementiacaptain
Yeah you are good. Celestion typically are very stingy when rating their speakers anyway, typically you can get away with a bit more wattage than they are rated for anyways, you should be more than fine.

Yeah, pretty much. At least with the classic models. I've heard some suspicion that some of the newer/cheaper models mightn't be so conservatively-rated.

But yeah a vintage 30 should be fine, I think.

Eminence, now, that's a different story. I wouldn't want to pair 100W of eminence speakers with a 100W tube amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by BUZZARD__

Just curious, and this open to anybody, why pair a 100W tube head with only 2x12.

It's just strange to me. But, I'm a wall of sound kind of guy. When I have a lot of watts I want to push more speakers.

I used a 100W 1x12 for years (Carvin XV112B), still have it. It was just easier to cart around that combo for practice and some gigs. On occasion, I unplugged the internal speaker and ran a full stack with it.

One of the things I found is that the "wall" of sound had lousy treble dispersion (it beamed everything above about 500hz and lost treble off axis), but it had a lot of issues with acoustic coupling, phasing, etc. Lots of mud and mush, very little definition. Some people like that.

100W isn't a "lot of watts," actually. In fact, the more speakers you drive and the more your volume goes up, the more bottom end tends to disappear because you simply don't have the power to push all that air at lower frequencies.

My current rig runs 900W through a single full-range speaker cabinet, 1500W through a stack of two (rarely necessary). Dispersion is excellent and everything's pretty much clear and defined, including gain. But those speaker cabinets have a single 15" LF driver, a 6.5" MF driver and a 1" HF driver.
Quote by BUZZARD__
You've already got your answer...though the jack plate printed 120W seems like it would have been good indication

It's just strange to me. But, I'm a wall of sound kind of guy. When I have a lot of watts I want to push more speakers. I had an Orange AD30TC and I still played that through a 2x12 and 4x12.

I run a 100 watt amp at half power into a 110 watt 212 cab but then again, I like a lot of tight bass
Quote by dspellman
100W isn't a "lot of watts," actually. In fact, the more speakers you drive and the more your volume goes up, the more bottom end tends to disappear because you simply don't have the power to push all that air at lower frequencies.

My current rig runs 900W through a single full-range speaker cabinet, 1500W through a stack of two (rarely necessary). Dispersion is excellent and everything's pretty much clear and defined, including gain. But those speaker cabinets have a single 15" LF driver, a 6.5" MF driver and a 1" HF driver.

okay but it sounds like you're playing bass. If not you're running preamp into several power amps which would only benefit the wall of sound. My reference was to tube guitar amps. 100, especially compared to 30w or lower variations, is a lot...especially when you actually utilize them.

get off it.

ps. for bass 900 barely breaks above average. Just saying
Quote by BUZZARD__

cheers

The main reason I decided to go the 2x12 route is that I have 3 4x12 cabs and they are a major pain to move around to shows. Over the course of the last few years, I have found that 4x12's are overkill for almost every venue I have played. 4x12 cabs are heavy and do not like to fit in cars. Storage was also a concern. And on top of all of that, the Orange PPC212's are about half of the price of an Orange PPC412. I got mine for $500 new.
Last edited by youngncy at Jan 7, 2015,
Quote by BUZZARD__
okay but it sounds like you're playing bass. If not you're running preamp into several power amps which would only benefit the wall of sound. My reference was to tube guitar amps. 100, especially compared to 30w or lower variations, is a lot...especially when you actually utilize them.

get off it.

ps. for bass 900 barely breaks above average. Just saying

He's not playing bass...

And 100w is only marginally louder than 30w, everything else being equal.

Your attitude sucks.,
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
He's not playing bass...

And 100w is only marginally louder than 30w, everything else being equal.

Your attitude sucks.,

What world are you people from? not the real one, I can tell you that. 30W amps cranked can keep up with 100W for sure, but that's also the 100w not being dimed.

It's so strange this is even a debate to me, because for the longest time I played a 30W and then a 50W along side numerous 100-120W amps. I always kept up, but it was nowhere close to as loud as a 100W amp.

And who the hell runs 900W into 1x15 or 1500 into 2x15? Not any kind of guitar player I want to listen to.

You can get off it too for calling me out.
Quote by BUZZARD__
What world are you people from? not the real one, I can tell you that. 30W amps cranked can keep up with 100W for sure, but that's also the 100w not being dimed.

It's so strange this is even a debate to me, because for the longest time I played a 30W and then a 50W along side numerous 100-120W amps. I always kept up, but it was nowhere close to as loud as a 100W amp.

And who the hell runs 900W into 1x15 or 1500 into 2x15? Not any kind of guitar player I want to listen to.

I find it odd that you ask us why we'd pair a 100w head to a 2X12. You said you're a "wall of sound" kind of guy, so obviously you don't mind schlepping a bunch of 4X12s around for gigs. For those of us that gig frequently (myself included), we can get our own wall of sound with a 2X12 with no problems. I run a Soldano SLO 100 into a Tone Tubby 2X12, & it will blow your fooking head off. If I REALLY need to be louder, I just mic up to the PA. I don't need a wall of speakers behind me to have a great time, & the truth is that I'm too damn lazy to transport anything more than a 2X12 It's just a matter of preference.
BTW-you have no idea what dspellman runs in his rig. He has some super trick shit that most people never see or use, & he knows what he's doing.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Jan 8, 2015,
Quote by BUZZARD__

I'm from the world that understands basic audio math as it relates to volume and dspellman is from the world that has been gigging probably longer than you've been alive, and although he and I don't always agree, he knows his shit.

Hope that helps.

Have a nice day.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jan 8, 2015,
Quote by BUZZARD__

I have a 100 watt Marshall (6101) When it was in a 1x12 combo, I ran it along side a friends vintage AC30. Just for a laugh, we ran long leads into the next room & dimed both amps. The AC30 was JUST audible above my Marshall, possibly due to frequency responce & the way it was eq'd, but those 30 watts were bloody loud!!!!!
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!