I'm playing an Epi Les Paul Custom Pro with the stock Probucker pick ups through and Egnater Vengeance, into an Avatar cab with a pair of Celestion G12H30s and a pair of V30s that are arranged in an X pattern. I'm playing mostly drop B tuned metal/hardcore.

I generally prefer a sludgier, more bass filled tone, but my question is what would be some good options for swapping out a speaker or two in my cab? I want to add just a little bit of high end to my tone, while still sounding pretty sludgy.

I was thinking about possibly swapping one speaker for a G12T75 just because the other guitarist in my band has a Marshall 1960 Lead cab with those speakers, and his tone has a lot of high end.

I really don't know much about speakers and whatnot though, so any advice would really help.
I'm not the best speaker guy either but my main suggestion is to keep your speakers in pairs. In other words, don't just replace 1. The frequencies need to work together and it is challenging enough having two different kinds of speakers let alone 3.

That said, for all I know it may sound awesome doing what you suggesting I only throw that out there as a caution. If gumilicious sees this he'll be able to confirm one way or another. He did a nice write up on speaker frequencies and how they work together if you are interested.

I personally really like G12H30s. G12K100s get a lot of love. For some reason I have a bad taste in my mouth regarding G12T75s but I don't have a lot of direct experience with them. I would call Dave at Avatar and ask him what kinds of G12K100 like speakers he recommends and if they should replace the V30s or the H30s.

PS: How do you like your Vengeance? I really dig the amp. Dark like you are saying right? Have you considered different preamp tubes? What are in there now? I bet there is mostly Chinese junk. Consider getting a JJ, a Tung Sol and maybe a JAN NOS tube. I'm not a Tung Sol fan per say but I bet one of those in there would help more than a speaker swap.

How do you like your Avatar cab? I had a 212 Traditional and really dug it.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 10, 2015,
Well damn, I should probably do more research on the technical side of things then. I'll definitely look into the speakers you mentioned though.
The Vengeance though, I love the thing. It is absolutely very dark which fits my preferences well. I'm still new to tube amps and bigger rigs in general so I can't much about the tubes. I'm actually pretty intimidated by messing around with them haha. I'm also going to look into your tube suggestions though.
As for the Avatar cab, it sure beats the shit out of the Raven I was playing through before hahaha.
^ yeah pairs as 311 said. I don't have a ton of experience with matching more than that, but once just for a laugh i think i tried a texas heat, red white and blues and screamin eagle together and it sounded like utter crap. if you get too much of a mix it just sounds muddled, would be my suspicion.

g12t75 would likely work for sludgier stuff (though i should caution that i don't play sludge).

for a tighter, but still very chunky, bass the classic leads would work.

g12k100s might work too but I haven't tried them.

In all of those cases, I mean you to pair those mentioned speakers with the V30s i.e. replace the G12H30s with those speakers mentioned above.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try this first. Leave your speakers alone.
Buy a KSN 1165 tweeter (about $40). Wire it into your speaker's circuit and just set it down on the top of your 4x12. There's no need for a crossover (it won't show up below 1800Hz) and no need to worry about impedance (its a piezo driver and will show up as a bit of capacitance, won't affect the amp at all). Make sure that you wire it in phase, but other than that, it's easy.

It will provide frequencies that you don't normally hear from speakers that fall off above 4000Hz. Those frequencies exist in your music, but your speakers mostly don't reproduce them. You won't get ice-pick treble. In fact, treble dispersion will be increased off-axis (above 1800Hz, that is), but the sensitivity of the tweeter is only about 92SPL, which is normally below that of your current speakers. Second from the bottom of the page: http://www.usspeaker.com/cts%20index-1.htm $36.95.

If you like it, find a spot for it in the cabinet. If not, put it on Craigs and dump it.
Quote by Jilson324
Well damn, I should probably do more research on the technical side of things then. I'll definitely look into the speakers you mentioned though.
The Vengeance though, I love the thing. It is absolutely very dark which fits my preferences well. I'm still new to tube amps and bigger rigs in general so I can't much about the tubes. I'm actually pretty intimidated by messing around with them haha. I'm also going to look into your tube suggestions though.
As for the Avatar cab, it sure beats the shit out of the Raven I was playing through before hahaha.

Tubes are not that hard to change. The Egnaters do not ship with the best tubes so I'd put money into some replacement tubes before spending money on speakers. You have good speaker as it is. I actually contemplated buying the same cab you have because I want a 4x12. The V30s and H30s should go well together. I had a G12H30 and a Classic Lead 80 in my Avatar 212 before I sold it to a fellow UG'r for a better (read Splawn) cab.

Some JJs, a Tung Sol and a JAN 5751 is what I'd do.

Here is a video I made that will show you how to swap these tubes out. Get some Dioxit contract cleaner as well and spray the pins before inserting.

(Invalid img)
From what I can tell, your Avatar cab is the best piece in your rig so I wouldn't mess with it. Those speakers always have plenty of top end so we need to feed them more highs from the amp. Egnater amps always seem a little dull on top to me when pushed and I don't think changing tubes will help much. Maybe just dime the treble or try using a treble boost and see if you find your tone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Tubes are not that hard to change. The Egnaters do not ship with the best tubes so I'd put money into some replacement tubes before spending money on speakers. You have good speaker as it is. I actually contemplated buying the same cab you have because I want a 4x12. The V30s and H30s should go well together. I had a G12H30 and a Classic Lead 80 in my Avatar 212 before I sold it to a fellow UG'r for a better (read Splawn) cab.

Some JJs, a Tung Sol and a JAN 5751 is what I'd do.

Here is a video I made that will show you how to swap these tubes out. Get some Dioxit contract cleaner as well and spray the pins before inserting.

(Invalid img)

Yeah I think I'm gonna go down to the local shop where I bought the cab and talk to them about my options for tubes. They've got a guy there who's an expert on all of that stuff. maybe you've heard of Whitney amps, that's the guy.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Quote by Jilson324
I generally prefer a sludgier, more bass filled tone, but my question is what would be some good options for swapping out a speaker or two in my cab? I want to add just a little bit of high end to my tone, while still sounding pretty sludgy.

i'd advocate for the G12K-100 or the G12T-75 as well. i have used versions of both speakers and they offer a solid low end and some good attack. the K-100 is a bit more balanced, neutral, and offers a bit more low end imo.

the V30 should offer plenty of mids and high end with either paired speaker. either speaker matched with the V30 offers a great 'modern' tone

you do run into limitations though, afaik the K-100 only comes in an 8 ohm version. so if you cabinet is rated at 16 ohm (which would imply a 4x12 loaded with 16 ohm speakers) then the option of a K-100 is pretty much out the question.

you can try to find some 16 ohm G12K-85's (the precursor to the K-100), but they are starting to become scarce now.

you have another option, the eminence Swamp Thang is also a pretty low heavy speaker. imo it seems to cover the same bases as a K-100.

another option could be a Weber ceramic silver bell or a gray wolf. these speakers offer some pretty good low end and have a bit more character to them (they still do heavier tones just fine).

i am only suggesting speakers i have tried, so there may be other ones out there that will serve your purpose

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If gumbilicious sees this he'll be able to confirm one way or another. He did a nice write up on speaker frequencies and how they work together if you are interested.

i don't think he posts anymore.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 8, 2015,
i have eight k85's thate are 16ohm. i love K85's/K100s i like them with V30's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gumbilicious

you have another option, the eminence Swamp Thang is also a pretty low heavy speaker. imo it seems to cover the same bases as a K-100.

:

+1.

I have Emi Swamp Thangs crossed with Emi Governors and it is a crushing combination. I think it would be about the same thing if you combined STs with V30s, as V30s are very similar to Governors.

The Swamps definitely have a low-range "thunk" that sounds great. I don't think I'd run a cab with all STs though. Keep some V30s in there too.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Personally I find that the G12h30 does sludgy type music much better than the V30 does. I agree get yourself 2x G12t75 or K100's and put them in the cab. Try them with the V30 and the G12h30 and see which you prefer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate