I dont know if anyone here follows Hufschmid guitars, but he has been making nuts out of a material called techron hpv. The material is supposed to be very resilient and wear resistant, and that got me wondering if it could be used as frets, or what else could be used.

I'm curious what metals usually are used for frets, and if any other composite has ever been tried and used as frets. I would think that a material that is not a metal might result in a slightly softer attack. It might hurt sustain a bit but regardless it would be interesting to try something like that, maybe for jazz or something. Anyone know anything about this?
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
If you can bear the comic sans font, this is good information.

http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html

This Techtron stuff you're talking about is a type of plastic. It probably wouldn't be durable enough to use in frets. The fact that they have 'amazing' durability isn't a quantifiable measurement and how 'amazing' it is, depends on how its being used.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 6, 2015,
that is some useful info (and thankfully didnt show up in comic sans)

im still curious to know if any unconventional materials have been used before. i want to believe theres someone out there who has tried something different before
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by rtfk101

im still curious to know if any unconventional materials have been used before. i want to believe theres someone out there who has tried something different before

Yes, of course. In addition to metal frets (brass, stainless, nickel-silver, tin cans), there have actually been wood frets, carbon frets and even quartz crystal frets (google is your friend).

bone frets?

http://www.parsonsguitars.com/strolling_with_bones.php
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 6, 2015,
Quote by rtfk101
I'm still curious to know if any unconventional materials have been used before. i want to believe there is someone out there who has tried something different before

Well; Warwick uses a brass alloy that is commonly used to make bells. The problem with going "esoteric" with fret wire is that most alloys that are not steel or nickel/copper are either unsuitable for use as frets, or because they are ruinously expensive and will not do a significantly better job than the standard nickel/copper/zinc or stainless steel alloys. Even stainless steel alloy frets are disdained by a lot of guitar manufacturers because the alloys are so hard that they tend to dull the cutting tools very quickly, and these are relatively soft stainless steel alloys. Some lunatic might one day try to mill a string nut out of A2 or some other super-hard steel alloy, but it will not be fun trying to cut and mount that string nut.

People have been experimenting for many years with different synthetic materials for guitar string nuts. Graph-Tech made a business out of it, in fact. You can make a serviceable string nut out of a lot of different materials, but the manufacturer has to ask himself or herself, "Is this newfangled material going to offer any significant advantage over the tried-and-true materials? If the answer is "no," then why bother to reinvent the wheel? Then again, someone may one day develop a material for string nuts that truly is a lot better than the standard materials.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jan 8, 2015,