Hi Everybody,

If there is a similar thread on here already, my apologies. I did roam the forum looking for something that covers my question, but I didn't manage to find one so I decided to make one ..

I was wondering if anybody knows how I can record my guitar directly onto my Macbook Air with Garageband. I've been searching on Google and Youtube for some tips and tutorials but haven't been able to really figure it out yet.

What I did find was this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYU6YDM1rkY

I tried it but it just doesn't work for me. I use a 3.5mm jack to connect my guitar cable to the Mac (Headphones socket, since there is no mic one) and after that I just get lost in the settings.

Anybody have an idea if there's another way?

P.s: I already went to the Amac stores and such and asked about it and they came up with buying iMic and iRig, but before doing so I wanted to ask if anybody knows another option ..

Thanks in advance!
Fastest and cleanest way is an Apogee Jam or similar unit.

Before anyone else jumps on you here, I would like to clarify for the non-mac folks:
THE HEADPHONE JACK IS IN FACT AN INPUT ON NEW MACBOOKS

Not sure why that method isn't working for you, but even when you do get it to work it will not sound good.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
So you're saying that the Headphone Jack IS an input on the new MacBooks? If so, I must be doing something wrong .. I basically followed every step (on the video) .. I'll try again.

In regards to your Apogee Jam idea, would the iRig/iMic get an equal quality out of it?
Quote by ZeroV4
So you're saying that the Headphone Jack IS an input on the new MacBooks? If so, I must be doing something wrong .. I basically followed every step (on the video) .. I'll try again.

In regards to your Apogee Jam idea, would the iRig/iMic get an equal quality out of it?

I believe it is a combo jack, so you may need to flip a digital switch somewhere to get it to work.
EDIT: Not an option on the 13" macbooks anymore, I guess they ditched it altogether. Sorry.

The iRig would be about as good as the Apogee. The iMic would be questionable - what kind of guitar are you recording? If it's acoustic, then that might be better. If you're doing vocals it will be useful as well.

Do you have a budget?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jan 6, 2015,
Now it happens to be a Macbook Air 13.3 i'm screwing around on .. Sigh lol
I'm recording Electric guitars on it. Or that would be the case, once I get it to work.
By the way, on the video (around 2:04) he says that i should choose: 'Sound output' for the option 'Use audio port for'. Now on my Mac Air when I go to settings -> Sound, it doesn't have that option/box.

Tried again, whatever I do, as soon as i plug in the 3.5mm jack into the headphones jack there's no sound coming out of anywhere .. Not even the laptops speakers. Damn my inabilities haha

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
Last edited by ZeroV4 at Jan 6, 2015,
So without additional hardware it's gonna be pretty much impossible, is what I take from all this? xD
Quote by ZeroV4
So without additional hardware it's gonna be pretty much impossible, is what I take from all this? xD

Yes. Apple doesn't have an analog input on the Macbook Air. You need to buy something to plug in through, but it can be done for either $10 or $100.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Alright, thanks for the help!

Btw, i still have a POD UX1 lying around .. I take it that would be an option as well? (I'm missing the USB connection though, can you buy the cable separately?)
Quote by ZeroV4
Alright, thanks for the help!

Btw, i still have a POD UX1 lying around .. I take it that would be an option as well? (I'm missing the USB connection though, can you buy the cable separately?)

Yeah that's probably a standard $3 cable you can get anywhere - you probably have some for other devices and don't even realize it. That interface should work with your mac just fine.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Yeah, I did .. For a Mic, but sold it today. Anyway thanks for the help! That should get me going'!
I use an audio interface, but I know rocksmith uses a guitar to usb cable. Always wondered if that cable translated to garageband. Surely there's a usb cable you can buy??
Quote by boyd98
I use an audio interface, but I know rocksmith uses a guitar to usb cable. Always wondered if that cable translated to garageband. Surely there's a usb cable you can buy??

It works, but doesn't sound great. If OP already has an interface, he should just buy a standard cable to hook that up - it'll be much cheaper and sound way better!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass