Page 1 of 2
Hi there, I am thinking of buying my first tube amp and I have almost decided on a Blackstar HT-5 (I was gonna go with 20, but I am gonna play at home 99% of time).
My question to you is if I should get the HT-5 or HT-5 Metal. I play mainly Metallica and I really like their tone. I also do some Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple and that kind of bands. Please advise.
Quote by nerfmeee
Hi there, I am thinking of buying my first tube amp and I have almost decided on a Blackstar HT-5 (I was gonna go with 20, but I am gonna play at home 99% of time).
My question to you is if I should get the HT-5 or HT-5 Metal. I play mainly Metallica and I really like their tone. I also do some Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple and that kind of bands. Please advise.

The HT"s have a lot of solid state parts in them, just so you know. If you only want to play metal, then get the HT-5 metal, or if you want to play other stuff, then the ht-5 with some tubescreamer. You should wait for other people's opinions as well.

EDIT:If not a Blackstar HT, then how about A randall Diavlo 5 watt?
You would need some sort of eq though, as they have a gain, volume and tone knobs only.
EDIT2:Plus the Randall's cheaper.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jan 6, 2015,
"The HT"s have a lot of solid state parts in them" - do you mean they aren't a real tube amp or something, could you please clarify?
Quote by nerfmeee
"The HT"s have a lot of solid state parts in them" - do you mean they aren't a real tube amp or something, could you please clarify?

They advertise them as an all-tube amp, but a few people have discovered that isn't the case.
They are similar to the Randall V max amps-whilst the Randalls have mosfet power and pre amps, they have 3 tubes in the preamp and 2(or 3, I don't know exactly) in the power amp.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by nerfmeee

yeah they're hybrid. they have a solid state phaser inverter, and a fair bit of solid state stuff before the first tube in the preamp. kind of like having a tubescreamer pedal in front of your tube amp (in addition to the phase inverter thing).

You could make a sort of reasonable claim that the tubes are in the most important place in the circuit. or at least you could if blackstar actually said that, but they're pretty cagey about the matter (at least in my experience, even when directly asked since someone emailed them and they still tried to claim it was all-tube IIRC). In my opinion they're sort of hoping most people don't notice it's not actually technically all-tube.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, veeery shady marketing policy.
Also the sound is mediocre at best if ya ask me, for that stuff I'd much rather get a jet city or a peavey vypyr tube.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Could we please go back to my original thread? I am looking for a low watt amp that can come close to the sound I desire (mainly Metallica, also Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple).
I don't want the Blackstar if indeed this is true. Please recommend something up to 10 Watt. (combo).
Quote by nerfmeee
Please recommend something up to 10 Watt. (combo).
Same things as before, a jet city or a vypyr tube 60.

See, it's a myth that smaller amps sound better than bigger amps at low volumes.

To us, everything sounds worse at low volumes, up to the point where it starts hurting.
That is because of speakers which are heavy and the fletcher-munson curves, it has nothing to do with amps' sizes and a smaller amp won't sound better at lower volumes than a bigger one just because it's smaller.
If it does sound better at lower volumes then it'll also most likely sound better at higher volumes.

Amps have master volume controls for reasons.
Use them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Ok, thanks, could you recommend Jet City model? What I've heard about high voltage amps is that you can't really use the full potential of the tube if the volume isn't cranked up - but I've never had an tube amp so I wouldn't know.
^ well it's true to a certain extent but it's a bit like saying you can't use the full potential of a ferrari unless you drive at 200mph all the time. it's probably still way more fun for city driving than a lada.

what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Around 500-600(max) Euro. I am in Europe so I can't buy cheap stuff like you Americans
I'm not american

500-600 is easily enough to get a jet city quarterstack-

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cae_gitarrenlautsprecherkabel_15.htm or http://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_ctl_15_pp.htm

you know you occasionally have to change tubes, right? and probably pay someone to bias it for you? (you'd have had to do that with the blackstar too, just making sure you're aware.)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by nerfmeee
Around 500-600(max) Euro. I am in Europe so I can't buy cheap stuff like you Americans

The blackstar is decent, has a lot of gain on hand and does go fairly loud. It has two valves and uses them in some sort of way that it's like a driven amo even at low volumes.

Quite what that means I'm not sure but it makes me feel smart telling other people

Anyway I have one and yeh, it's decent. Best bet is to check places like ebay for them second hand. I got mine for £200 UK in mint condition, HT5R combo.
^ nah it doesn't. it has the 12bh7 in push-pull, which i guess does make it more like a bigger amp than most low wattage single enders, but at the same time for the same price you can just get a bigger amp. considering that even 5 watts tube is too loud to crank for most in a home situation.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ nah it doesn't. it has the 12bh7 in push-pull, which i guess does make it more like a bigger amp than most low wattage single enders, but at the same time for the same price you can just get a bigger amp. considering that even 5 watts tube is too loud to crank for most in a home situation.

I've got both so I'm not bothered
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm not american

500-600 is easily enough to get a jet city quarterstack-

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cae_gitarrenlautsprecherkabel_15.htm or http://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_ctl_15_pp.htm

you know you occasionally have to change tubes, right? and probably pay someone to bias it for you? (you'd have had to do that with the blackstar too, just making sure you're aware.)

Came to say just this, but you guys know me by now
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The sad thing about the Jet City is that it doesn't have effects loop. Other than that, i like it.
Quote by nerfmeee
The sad thing about the Jet City is that it doesn't have effects loop. Other than that, i like it.

They 22H does and it's all tube.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by nerfmeee
So this head + cabinet is recommended over combo (JCA2212) for example?

It's your choice, but most prefer a head and cab.
Fly on, fly on
Yes, I think I'll go with that, the combo doesn't have effects loop anyway. But totally clueless about what would be a good cabinet to go with that Jet City head.

The 2212 isn't a high gain amp. IIRC, it's based off one of the cleaner Soldano amps.

The 22H has the same preamp as the bigger ones, so that's more like what you're after.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by nerfmeee
Yes, I think I'll go with that, the combo doesn't have effects loop anyway. But totally clueless about what would be a good cabinet to go with that Jet City head.

Harley Benton 1x12 from thomann.de It has a single Celestion v30 speaker and the whole package should look cute
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Harley Benton 1x12 from thomann.de It has a single Celestion v30 speaker and the whole package should look cute

1X12 is open, 2X12 is closed.

All about the sound you're going for, but I like the 1X12. Version http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

The JCA 22H and the 1X12 is what I rehearse with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOhLUQGjByI
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
The 2212 isn't a high gain amp. IIRC, it's based off one of the cleaner Soldano amps.
These are the 2112RC (vertical input combo), the 5212 (2x12" 50w combo) and the 20H (single channel head).

The 2212 should be the 2ch high gain one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
These are the 2112RC (vertical input combo), the 5212 (2x12" 50w combo) and the 20H (single channel head).

Yes, 2212 is 2channel - it has a pretty nice gain I think.

*EDIT - the correct model I had in mind is JET CITY JCA2112RC
Last edited by nerfmeee at Jan 7, 2015,
Quote by Fisheth24
1X12 is open, 2X12 is closed.

All about the sound you're going for, but I like the 1X12. Version http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

The JCA 22H and the 1X12 is what I rehearse with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOhLUQGjByI

Might sound a bit stupid but I am a kindda prejudiced towards this brand - Harley Benton? Isn't that Thomann's own brand - cheap stuff? I don't own anything from them though, is it really good? Also open vs closed cabinet, could you clarify?
Quote by nerfmeee
Might sound a bit stupid but I am a kindda prejudiced towards this brand - Harley Benton? Isn't that Thomann's own brand - cheap stuff? I don't own anything from them though, is it really good? Also open vs closed cabinet, could you clarify?

That is the best speaker for the money you can get. Solid, reliable, and cheap.
Closed back-more bass end.
Open back-Less bass end.
Fly on, fly on
My vote goes to the JetCity. I have a JCA50, and i play in a melodic death band, and i find it awesome. You can also get some sort of an overdrive with it, if you need to up the gain and tightness. And yes, it does have an effects loop, but its a bit wonky.

As for the cab, the more important part is the speakers, and celestion vintage 30s are arguably the best speakers for metal around. So a cab loaded with them will sound good.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by nerfmeee
Harley Benton? Isn't that Thomann's own brand
Yes.
Quote by nerfmeee
cheap stuff?
No.

Well yes in the economical sense - their stuff costs very little money for what it is, but the cabs at least are hella good and go for the same price of the speakers alone.
Quote by Fryderyczek
That is the best speaker for the money you can get. Solid, reliable, and cheap.
Best *cabs for the money maybe, harley benton's speakers (the ones in their non vintage line of cabs) suck pretty bad.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Closed back-more bass end.
Open back-Less bass end.
Kind of a simplistic explanation, but it's pretty right.

It's worth noting that especially at higher volume, speakers in a closed back sealed cab will be less likely to distort, and they'll likely get you a more controlled sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Yes.
No.

Well yes in the economical sense - their stuff costs very little money for what it is, but the cabs at least are hella good and go for the same price of the speakers alone.
Best *cabs for the money maybe, harley benton's speakers (the ones in their non vintage line of cabs) suck pretty bad.
Kind of a simplistic explanation, but it's pretty right.

It's worth noting that especially at higher volume, speakers in a closed back sealed cab will be less likely to distort, and they'll likely get you a more controlled sound.

So spambot, in the end, what would you recommend, the 1x12 or 2x12 version of those cabs?
^ I haven't tried the 1x12, but normally if you have the space and money for it, everything else being equal, a 2x12 sounds "bigger". And the 2x12 is closed-back which is normally what you want for heavier stuff too, the bass is a bit tighter etc.

and yeah some of the harley benton stuff is cheap tat. most of it is rebranded stuff made by other people. but the cabs seem pretty good, and the speakers alone don't cost much less than the cab so it's not much risk even if you hate the cab, you're down maybe £15 (versus buying the speakers alone and putting them into an unloaded cabinet).

Quote by Twidler
I've got both so I'm not bothered

yeah

Quote by Fisheth24
Came to say just this, but you guys know me by now

ditto
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Guys, with this configuration I'll be able to spend a bit more money. Do you think I should get a noise gate and/or some kind of EQ pedal? I currently only own a Boss-25 processor.
Noisegate and Bad Monkey/CM2 as aboost.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Spambot_2

I'll copy this into notepad, so that next time the Jet City combo's come up, I know whichones are being talked about.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
^

Also I took the time to listen to that video you keep posting finally.
Music's not my cup of tea and I really don't like the style of your drummer, though the bassist and you I do like.
Also your beard ffs I want a beard like that
Quote by nerfmeee
So spambot, in the end, what would you recommend, the 1x12 or 2x12 version of those cabs?
Todo depende.

Is the setup gonna stay at home/practice space mostly, or are you gonna move it much, gig with it and so on?

If it's the first case, then I'd get the 2x12" 'cause it does sound a bit "bigger" and with it you can mix speakers and whatnot.
If it's the first case (and you care for your back), then I'd get the 1x12".
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 8, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
^

Also I took the time to listen to that video you keep posting finally.
Music's not my cup of tea and I really don't like the style of your drummer, though the bassist and you I do like.
Also your beard ffs I want a beard like that
Todo depende.

Is the setup gonna stay at home/practice space mostly, or are you gonna move it much, gig with it and so on?

If it's the first case, then I'd get the 2x12" 'cause it does sound a bit "bigger" and with it you can mix speakers and whatnot.
If it's the first case (and you care for your back), then I'd get the 1x12".

Yeah our drummer is useless, even I'll say that one. We drafted him from an Indie band, but the material that's being written is nothing like that, we just wrote that song in about ten mins, I don't really like that direction either. So it's not just you.

Totally agreed with this case here.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Jan 8, 2015,
I have a blackstar HT-5 and previously had an HT-5 metal. It doesn't matter if it is all tube or not, its how it sounds. Anyway, based on the fact that you are planning on playing mostly metal, i would recommend the blackstar, they have a ton of gain on tap, more than any other 5 watter I have played. I personally didn't like the metal version as much, was a little noisy and is almost the same amount of gain but voiced a little differently. Use the regular HT-5 with the gain around 1 O'clock and a tubescreamer type pedal in front and you will get your metal. The video is of the HT-5 using a maxon od to boost it for metal tone
http://youtu.be/aynUeOnDl60
Page 1 of 2