Hi guys im new in here and this is my first post so hi to you all and thank you for reading this... i just have a little problem, this guy is selling me this guitar ive never heard of (aria), and says its a vintage and a good deal and stuff.. ive searched for any info about this guitar model on the internet but found nothing... hes selling me this guitar for about 280 usd. I just wanted to know: is it worth buying it for my first guitar? ( i picked this one up because i think it looks sweet and its the only "cheap" semihollow ive found here in mexico) Also does anyone know anything about the model? All ive found is that it looks identically to this one : http://canadianvintageguitarhunt.blogspot.mx/2012/07/1968-silvertone-semi-hollow-body-model.html?m=1
again thanks, any info is appreciated and sorry for any spelling mistakes, my native language isnt english
Attachments:
21916-MLM20221149645_012015-O.jpg
21936-MLM20221148432_012015-P.jpg
21949-MLM20221148721_012015-O.jpg
Aria is a well-known make, and I would pay that kind of $ if it is in good condition. Lotsa mojo, but the trem arm s missing. The Matsumoku factory where it was made had a very good reputation - I have a Westone from the same factory. Here is some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aria_(guitar_company)
Hey thanks a lot man! Ya i saw the missing arm..The seller told me it is a 70's vintage model but thats all he said about the model ....
Last edited by magern21 at Jan 8, 2015,
i wouldn't expect miracles with that guitar. the pickups are a very cheap design and likely will be microphonic. the action may not be very good either
Quote by monwobobbo
i wouldn't expect miracles with that guitar. the pickups are a very cheap design and likely will be microphonic. the action may not be very good either

Some of those pickups are pretty good in their own way (there ain't no design cheaper than Leo's ), especially if they have screw poles, and microphonic can be a distinct tonal asset if you don't want to play loud.

The neck is bolt on, so there is the shimming option for fixing set up.
Quote by Tony Done
Some of those pickups are pretty good in their own way (there ain't no design cheaper than Leo's ), especially if they have screw poles, and microphonic can be a distinct tonal asset if you don't want to play loud.

The neck is bolt on, so there is the shimming option for fixing set up.

i understand that. being an old fart i have a fair amount of experience with 60s -early 70s cheapies. i just thought it woud be worth mentioning as if the OP is expecting typical semi hollow tones (think 335) then he will be very disappointed. as for shimming well yes that can be done. intonation and baseball bat neck may be an issue as well.
Looks to be either a Teisco (Japan) or Guyatone (Japan) made instrument going both by the pickups and tailpiece. Aria is just the brand they stamped on the headstock for the OEM.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
Looks to be either a Teisco (Japan) or Guyatone (Japan) made instrument going both by the pickups and tailpiece. Aria is just the brand they stamped on the headstock for the OEM.

Aria is a legit seperate brand even back then
Quote by monwobobbo
i understand that. being an old fart i have a fair amount of experience with 60s -early 70s cheapies. i just thought it woud be worth mentioning as if the OP is expecting typical semi hollow tones (think 335) then he will be very disappointed. as for shimming well yes that can be done. intonation and baseball bat neck may be an issue as well.

You're right, it won't sound like a 335, but it might sound a bit Rick or Gretsch. Lotsa twang with a bit of luck. I can remember that pre-Fender stuff, but I was only interested in acoustics - Japanese cheapos - in those days. I really do believe that those early Jap guitars have a charm of their own though - Ry Cooder plays an old Guyatone, for example. My Westone is a 1982 copy of a 335, very well made and easy to play, but I have to admit the covered humbuckers were lousy - too hot and muddy. It performs pretty well with SD jazz.
Quote by monwobobbo

Really? Actually i was especting a hollow body tone.. any toughts on a good but cheap hollow body??
Quote by magern21
Really? Actually i was especting a hollow body tone.. any toughts on a good but cheap hollow body??

depends on how you want to define that. those pickups don't appear to be humbuckers so right there will be a difference if you are looking for something like a Gibson 335 tone.

depends on what cheap means. a used Epiphone of perhaps one of the Ibanez hollow series would be good and that's the route i'd go. that aria is a neat looking guitar and probably has a distict sound but wouldn't be good for copying Gibson style tones if that is what you are after.
Quote by magern21

Ibanez.

Since that Aria has a tailpiece, I'm guessing that it just has a block under the bridge, so it would sound more äcoustic than, say, a semihollow like a 335. FWIW, of the guitars I've played recently that I really liked was the Ibanez copy of the Gibson ES330 with P90s (of which I am a big fan) - the ASR70:

Thanks! But those guitars are bigger than my budget ... is there any other cheaper but not that bad? Its gonna be my first guitar.. ill later buy an epi dot, thats my goal ( later when i learn to play), and later who knows..

Also, Tony what do you think its better the ibanez u told me about, or the dot? Thanks
both epi and ibanez are good guitars. cheap semi hollows are kinda tough to come by as they are more labor intensive. you may want to consider getting a solidbody to learn on and save for a decent semi-hollow. ibanez has a pretty nice selection of semi and full hollow bodies.
Quote by monwobobbo
both epi and ibanez are good guitars. cheap semi hollows are kinda tough to come by as they are more labor intensive. you may want to consider getting a solidbody to learn on and save for a decent semi-hollow. ibanez has a pretty nice selection of semi and full hollow bodies.

Ya i guess you are right... i think ill buy an squire or a epi special..
Quote by magern21
Hi guys im new in here and this is my first post so hi to you all and thank you for reading this... i just have a little problem, this guy is selling me this guitar ive never heard of (aria), and says its a vintage and a good deal and stuff.. ive searched for any info about this guitar model on the internet but found nothing... hes selling me this guitar for about 280 usd. I just wanted to know: is it worth buying it for my first guitar? ( i picked this one up because i think it looks sweet and its the only "cheap" semihollow ive found here in mexico) Also does anyone know anything about the model? All ive found is that it looks identically to this one : http://canadianvintageguitarhunt.blogspot.mx/2012/07/1968-silvertone-semi-hollow-body-model.html?m=1
again thanks, any info is appreciated and sorry for any spelling mistakes, my native language isnt english

Well, I haven't played this guitar but I have played several like it. Pretty rough I'd say for a 1st guitar with all low-end hardware and probably worth $100 max. I'd keep looking. You could probably find a used Mex Tele for $200 if you look hard. A lot more guitar for the $$$.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Tony Done
Ibanez.

Since that Aria has a tailpiece, I'm guessing that it just has a block under the bridge, so it would sound more äcoustic than, say, a semihollow like a 335. FWIW, of the guitars I've played recently that I really liked was the Ibanez copy of the Gibson ES330 with P90s (of which I am a big fan) - the ASR70:

Hey! Took your advice! Im buying an ibanez as73 bs, dude selling me it for about 300 usd... ... have you ever tried that guitar?
Quote by magern21
Hey! Took your advice! Im buying an ibanez as73 bs, dude selling me it for about 300 usd... ... have you ever tried that guitar?

Not sure, because my mate sells Ibanez, and I get to look at/try a lot of them. I've yet to see one of their hollows or semihollows that I really didn't like in terms of fit, finsih and workmanship. I personally don't like covered humbucker pickups, so I'm pretty sure I would be changing them for something else if it was mine but that wouldn't stop me buying it. Note that the AS73 is a semihollow in the same style as a 335, with a block running the full length of the body, so it will sound less "acoustic" than the one I mentioned.