Hi!

I am wanting to pursue music for a living. I am wanting to work with music and have an overall impact on other peoples music and help them make better music, I play guitar but I am not the greatest, I am studying music theory now as well. I have some questions for any one that pursued this career path or tried. I wouldn't mind working in other fields of sound, such as t.v/radio/movie, live events ect.. here is a college program that seems the best for me http://www.fanshawec.ca/programs-courses/full-time-programs/mia2-intro all the other schools around here are private colleges and they are insanely priced like way over 10k a YEAR.. here are some questions I have:

- What do you look for in a school for audio engineering/producing?
- How hard is it to find work?
- How hard is it to make a living doing this, is it realistic? ( If I do go to school for this I would move to Toronto, Ontario where there is a lot of studios)

any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

*****I was told to move my post from "musician talk" to here ****
- What do you look for in a school for audio engineering/producing?
Are the people teaching working as well as teaching and who have they engineered / produced? This is no point at all learning from someone who is unsuccessful in this profession.
Who have they taught who is successful in the business? someone we have heard of?
- How hard is it to find work?
By all accounts, very hard. Often if you don't know someone in the business then you can't get into it.
- How hard is it to make a living doing this, is it realistic? ( If I do go to school for this I would move to Toronto, Ontario where there is a lot of studios)
People do make a living at it you need to be a) talented b) lucky c) pushy or d) all three

Many people in the recording business appear to have either been with successful bands (as musicians or as sound engineers) that they have joined at schools or colleges, or have come to it through TV or radio. Technical wise you can learn much of what a school can teach you from the net; but have you got a good ear, since this is really the most important personal attribute you need.
Last edited by PSimonR at Jan 7, 2015,