Hi guys, I've paid an audio engineer to mix and master one of my songs (for pretty cheap) as I am not very good at doing that. Just wanted to know from all of you experienced ones out there what you reckon to the quality of the song as a whole and the sound! And whether to continue to use the service he is providing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgKaGy0xF98

Thank you
Seems pretty good. What did you provide to him? Did he do anything other than mixing your stems, like programming drums or whatever? Just curious.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Hi Sid, Sent him stems that I recorded using Ableton live 9 and he did do a little editing with tightening areas up. with the drums I use a alesis sample pad and hook up via ableton via midi to usb cable but hes not done that much with the drums tbh
None of the problems I have could be fixed by mixing or mastering. It's the source that I have problems with.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
None of the problems I have could be fixed by mixing or mastering. It's the source that I have problems with.

What are your problems?
Quote by kingvx3
Sounded pretty good mate

Thanks man! Appreciate your comment
If you insist...

The timing is all over the place. Some parts are in time, some are not.

The lead guitar is out of tune.

The rhythm guitar is mono tracked from what I can tell.

The drums, sonically, seem to be "okay", but they are clearly fake. Whether that's on purpose or not, I believe it would do your song more justice to have them more realistic sounding. Would come across as more raw and indie feeling.

The only part I would knock on the mix would be the over-use of reverb and delay and it being too much in your face.

And that's after listening twice on iPhone headphones....
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Jan 6, 2015,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
If you insist...

The timing is all over the place. Some parts are in time, some are not.

The lead guitar is out of tune.

The rhythm guitar is mono tracked from what I can tell.

The drums, sonically, seem to be "okay", but they are clearly fake. Whether that's on purpose or not, I believe it would do your song most justice to have them more realistic sounding. Would come across as more raw and indie feeling.

The only part I would knock on the mix would be the over-use of reverb and delay and it being too much in the forefront.

And that's after listening twice on iPhone headphones....

I know timing is not perfect but tbh there only demos atm and it cost me next to nothing to get the guy to mix and master it. I personally don't hear the guitar out of tune as It is detuned to Eb anyway half a step on purpose as Its more comfortable for my vocals. The reverb on the track is my request I like reverb and delay effects as I feel it gives more emotion from the whole sound and adds atmosphere.

and the whole drum thing you are saying is true they are fake but I don't really have the money atm to go into a studio and record everything until I have a full band you see

Thank you for the comment though, appreciate your input
I dig the mix. Personally I like the amount of verb and delays; it fits the genre to me. Vocals are a bit loud imo.

Drums do sound fake, but I understand that. Maybe look into some drum programming software? Even something like EZDrummer might sound better.
Timing is dodgy yeah. Drums sound fake. I understand what you're going for with the delay & reverb so wouldn't worry about those. So largely pretty decent as far as mixing goes I think, just sounds massively like a demo... Which... It is? Or isn't? Probably should be.
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by adstr123
Timing is dodgy yeah. Drums sound fake. I understand what you're going for with the delay & reverb so wouldn't worry about those. So largely pretty decent as far as mixing goes I think, just sounds massively like a demo... Which... It is? Or isn't? Probably should be.

Yeah just a demo man

I am fairly new to recording my own music, so Ill learn about getting the drums hopefully sounding a bit more realistic. Ill have a look into EZDrummer

Thank you
Steven Slate Drums will give you a better sound in the long term. $100 for the full version is practically a steal. I will post more notes later.
Honestly, just loading organic samples into Ableton's drum machine and triggering those with your alesis will do you wonders. Then you can fix small timing and dynamics mistakes on the piano roll. The drum rack allows you to bounce individual stems of the drums as well for further mixing, which is awesome.

Reverb and delay are fine, not overdone at all. Rhythm guitars don't need to be double tracked, yours sounds fine.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Steven Slate Drums will give you a better sound in the long term. $100 for the full version is practically a steal. I will post more notes later.

Awesome, will check that too

Cheers dude
Quote by heaven086
Awesome, will check that too

Cheers dude

Definitely would recommend Slate drums over EZDrummer.
Quote by chaosmoon
Definitely would recommend Slate drums over EZDrummer.

And I recommend these over either, since you already own Ableton and they're on sale: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/session-drums/#?item_type=sounds

28gb of multi-sampled kits for $79 that integrate immediately into Ableton's drum rack which is insanely flexible and will run with less stress on your processor since it's built into the DAW. The sounds are AWESOME as well, which is the most important part.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
And I recommend these over either, since you already own Ableton and they're on sale: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/session-drums/#?item_type=sounds

28gb of multi-sampled kits for $79 that integrate immediately into Ableton's drum rack which is insanely flexible and will run with less stress on your processor since it's built into the DAW. The sounds are AWESOME as well, which is the most important part.

Great! thanks for this man, Ill take a look. that is also a great price!!

Thank you