Ok, so I appreciate all of your help with My many threads about amplification and this will most likely be my last thread. I have been looking and looking and finally found an amp I want, The Peavey Valve King stack. But alas my heart has been broken as I live in an apartment and as I would use it for gigs and what not, I need a headphone jack for playing it at home. when i found out this one didn't have one, I researched more, and realized that headphone jacks are not a common delicacy on tube amplifiers, so I am now FORCED to stick with the choice of a solid state.

So UG forum geniuses, can you help me decide the best solid state amp that I can get in a stack? For all of you who are new to my posts, I am looking for one that has smooth cleans for alt rock like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and Breaking Benjaman, and have a cap of $500 and also needs to have enough power to play decent Medium Sized Gigs, like Warped Tour and House Of Blues!

SO FAR these are the solid states I have come across with decent reviews!

randall rg1003h
Blackstar ID:100H
Line 6 Spider IV HD150
Fender Mustang V V.2 HD
Kustom KG100HFX
Marshall MG Series MG100HCFX
Acoustic Lead Guitar Series G120H
Crate FlexWave Series FW120H

Or any other suggestions, Thank you all so much.
I see like this, It's better to tell yourself you're not good enough, so you always try to get better and better, rather than to say you are good enough, and not improve. You're never good enough, and in that way, you'll be the best.

inb4lok

Just kidding. Sorry I gave you so much trouble. Seriously. Check out one of these. Killer tone.

http://www.adhuntr.com/2012/05/all.html?cx=partner-pub-9413604915893153%3Ao8xsd8d7h7s&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&q=Vypyr+120&as_qdr=a&sa=Search
LOL many of those options are crap (MG Crate Line6).

i gave an option on another thread but i'll repeat it. you can get a tube amp like a VK with a speaker out option. what i mean is a combo. you can then use the combo for practice at low volumes and use it as a head to power a 4x12 if needed. dude for the 1000000 time you really don't need a head / 4x12 to play in a band. for the money you have you won't get aything really good.
Headphone? Pod.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Used Pod HD, Carvin PM15A.

Headphone use all day long on the used Pod HD. Crank it until you develop tinnitus.

PM15A Carvin has a mini-mixer on the back, 400W RMS power, a 15" LF driver, 1.something" HF driver, under $300

The House of Blues on Sunset will have you plug the Pod in to the board. You can use the Carvin as your personal monitor *and* they'll give you a wedge so that you can hear the rest of the band.

dude. For the 1000000 time you really don't need a head / 4x12 to play in a band.
Oh, wait. Was that an echo?
Quote by dspellman

Headphone use all day long on the used Pod HD. Crank it until you develop tinnitus.

PM15A Carvin has a mini-mixer on the back, 400W RMS power, a 15" LF driver, 1.something" HF driver, under $300

The House of Blues on Sunset will have you plug the Pod in to the board. You can use the Carvin as your personal monitor *and* they'll give you a wedge so that you can hear the rest of the band.

dude. For the 1000000 time you really don't need a head / 4x12 to play in a band.

+1

Honestly though, I would get the Valve King for gigs and then plug into the computer and use something like guitar rig or amplitube with headphones for at home.
Quote by dspellman

LOL yeah i thought i said that already.

DYL buddy you keep making threads and getting pretty much the same answers time to get the hint. Warped Tour really? based on what i've read you don't seem to be anywhere near ready for that. buy gear based on reality, seriously. i've been playing for over 30 years and the advice i give is based on my experiences. just trying to save you some money and hassle. i haven't used a head/4x12 for over 20 years and honestly most venues (ie bars etc) don't requier or even want them these days. i went to a New Years show with a popular local country band, both guitar players used 1x12 combos. they sounded great and used the PA to spread the sound around the farly sizeable room.

need to practice on the cheap then get a multi-fx unt that has a headphone jack and some amp sims. or just turn your amp down to a reasonable level and play. works for me
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Just get a Peavey Bandit cos everyone should have one anyway. It's got an extension cab out socket so you can have a 5x12 combo stack.

Listen to the toanz http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/clip/10999828/kingfish-plays-the-blues-at-the-white-house
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
get the amp you want to get and just get an Amplug for practice. i think that's a decent idea.
get the valve king, and then get a used peavey rage 158 for home practice. it will run you about 50 bucks. don't get a shitty high wattage solid state head for the love of christ.
Peavey ReValver on your computer gives you the ValveKing model for free. Get a simple interface for about $30 or use a Rocksmith cable and you're done.

Or get a POD or a Vox Amplug or something else that is meant for headphone practice. Even if the ValveKing did have a headphone plug it would sound like crap most likely. The one on my solid state Randall does. . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
The best Pod you can afford. Then it can double as your pedalboard with the VK too. Used HD500 is where I'd look.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
This POD XT live is still very good and does just about anything you want for and has a phone out $140
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Pod-XT-Live-Amp-Modeler-Effect-Processor-110823194-i4121915.gc

Then get something like a Peavey Valve king

If you play house of blues or warped Tour you will have good gear already and be mic'd through a great PA. And it isn't as easy as you think to get on warped tour (and most of the bands suck these days)

I've played House of Blues Orlando before and it is pretty cool, liked it better than playing Hard Rock, but a starter pack amp can sound huge with the PA they have going on there. Notice I said huge not great
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 6, 2015,
I'll second the suggestion of the pod and a used 6505 or 5150 combo. I use my pod for almost all home practicing and I used a 6505 combo for many larger gigs the 6 months I had it (One had an attendance of 4,000). With modern PAs you can really get away with anything.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Randall for solid state or Valveking for tube and get a Pocket Pod for headphone practice. I have not heard good headphone outs in any amp but Pod on the other hand sounds good and is very cheap.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Besides the Line6 PODs, there are similar devices from Korg, Tascam, Boss and other companies, all with their strengths and weaknesses. They range from $100-300 and fit in a gig bag or case.

And really, that IS the solution for getting a tube amp you want while satisfying your need to practice quietly with headphines.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by MaaZeus
Randall for solid state or Valveking for tube and get a Pocket Pod for headphone practice. I have not heard good headphone outs in any amp but Pod on the other hand sounds good and is very cheap.

+1 The Randall will do Pantera but nothing else though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
+1 The Randall will do Pantera but nothing else though.

Cathbard did you hack Fish's account?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Cathbard did you hack Fish's account?

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'm sure a few people make loadboxes with headphone out.

Two Notes Torpedo just off the top of my head.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I wanted the vk, like i said in the OP I cant get it cause it doesn't have a headphone jack, and I thought that I would just plug headphones straight to the speaker out, but after looking it up, that apparently blows the head cause the power differences
I see like this, It's better to tell yourself you're not good enough, so you always try to get better and better, rather than to say you are good enough, and not improve. You're never good enough, and in that way, you'll be the best.
Quote by monwobobbo
LOL yeah i thought i said that already.

DYL buddy you keep making threads and getting pretty much the same answers time to get the hint. Warped Tour really? based on what i've read you don't seem to be anywhere near ready for that. buy gear based on reality, seriously. i've been playing for over 30 years and the advice i give is based on my experiences. just trying to save you some money and hassle. i haven't used a head/4x12 for over 20 years and honestly most venues (ie bars etc) don't requier or even want them these days. i went to a New Years show with a popular local country band, both guitar players used 1x12 combos. they sounded great and used the PA to spread the sound around the farly sizeable room.

need to practice on the cheap then get a multi-fx unt that has a headphone jack and some amp sims. or just turn your amp down to a reasonable level and play. works for me

The warped tour thing is a just in case cause the band im playing for Is doing the battle of the bands for a spot on warped tour, and we have an 84% Liking for it, and I under stand I don't need one. I just WANT one. lol
I read it...then rolled my eyes.
Seriously I don't get you..want quiet playing in apartment...instantly think about buying a 100 watt half stack???

SS or tube, it's gonna be loud, and space consuming.

My suggestion would be either a decent amp, most likely tube. Either combo or head and 1x12/2x12 cab (no bigger), and just change the settings to best suit not cranking volume. Also offworld has a good suggestion with the torpedo. That way you can get a proper amp, a decent cab and if playing quiet doesn't suit your tastes, you can crank the amp as much as you want..that said, sometimes the cranked tone is good only because of the amount of air being pushed.

Or as it has already been suggested, get a POD of some sort and run it either through a foldback monitor, headphones or both depending on the situation. I use one with a power amp into a 1x12 and can get a good sound out of it at low volumes.

Or as others have suggested, pick up an audio interface and play through a DAW using amp sims.

For the love of god, please don't waste yer cash on any amps you suggested. Sure, some of them may be reasonable..but they aren't what you're looking for most likely, volume wise..and will also take up a f*** tone of space.
Last edited by ambler3 at Jan 7, 2015,
As has been noted several times already:

Valveking

Pod

Done.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by dyl shermanator
The warped tour thing is a just in case cause the band im playing for Is doing the battle of the bands for a spot on warped tour, and we have an 84% Liking for it, and I under stand I don't need one. I just WANT one. lol

I said so in your other thread, Randall RG with some decent cab. Or you can go the Valveking with Line 6 Pod as mentioned previously.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by dyl shermanator

It's fine that you want one. But you need to understand that you are going to have to sacrifice quality in both sound and build to have one. Is that a sacrifice that you are willing to make? If the answer is yes, then it doesn't matter which one you buy at that price range because they are all going to be shit and will be scrapped once you become a more serious player who learns a little bit about the gear game.

Im never going to talk anyone out of a half stack or full stack because I, at one point in my life, had a jtm50 full stack and that thing was awesome. Believe me. It was highly impractical and ungiggable, but it was great for practice room guitar hero-ing.

Get a half stack if you want one that badly. I cannot recommend any of the options that you are looking at because none of them are good amps. What is more important to you? Having good sound in an amp that is reliable and will last, or looking cool in front of some teeny boppers at a battle of the bands? No guitarist will ever look at a half stack and be impressed by a cheap stack. Most will just lol, like most are on this thread.

as a side note, the valve king is not an impressive amp. When I was growing up, it seemed like the amp of choice for the burgeoning garage rocker was either a jcm800 for those who had the cash, or a peavey vtm for those who didn't. Those peaveys were dirt cheap and sounded pretty good and built like tanks. Maybe look for one of those.

Also, no offense but it doesn't sound like you know much about playing a medium size gig. The sound man owns your ass when you are playing at a medium sized venue and is far more likely to tell you to turn it down than to turn it up.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 7, 2015,
Quote by dyl shermanator
I wanted the vk, like i said in the OP I cant get it cause it doesn't have a headphone jack, and I thought that I would just plug headphones straight to the speaker out, but after looking it up, that apparently blows the head cause the power differences

The thing you use to perform live with doesn't have to be the thing you use to practice with headphones. Arguably not only do they not have to be the same thing, they absolutely shouldn't be.

Something that's designed for producing sound at gigging levels has no reason to support headphones which is a completely different application. So do the sensible thing that all the sensible people have been suggesting and buy an amp for performing AND a POD or similar for practicing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's far from a stack, but many Blackstar amps coming with headphone outputs! Three models off of the top of my head that include the feature are the HT 5, HT Studio 20 and HT Club 40 models. Their wattages correspond with the number in the name. This option would enable you to have, for example, a nice 5 watt VALVE amp for home.
Ok so honestly you are all absolutely right, you all think I'm stupid, and I am, I have no Idea about anything on here and I am very nieve when it comes to any gear or sound or anything, I'm not taking offence about the guy who said I know nothing about playing medium sized gigs cause I haven't played any medium sized gigs just small gigs in a 200 seat college sized theatres, which is why I'm asking all of these questions, I understand many of you are more knowledgeable about this than I am, but you don't need to rub it in my face, if I knew Hal of what you guys were talking about I wouldn't be here, so half of the posters that are lol'ing at me can go right ahead, not my fault I don't know shit about amps, idk what a pod is, idk what a two notes torpedo is, I under stand cheaper ones are going to be shittier than the more expensive ones, I'm mainly looking for one that's better than my 40 watt fender practice amp.

I don't know what a fold back monitor or a DAW is, like I've said before, the only thing I know I the more watts the more powerful the amp, I know the technical difference (not the tonal but the literal one has tubes and the other is more computerized) between tube and SS heads. And I know the difference between cab sizes, that's it. That's why I am here because I know you all know more than I do.

Also if I am annoying you by suggesting shitty amps I'm sorry. Idk which amps are shit and what's not. I just go by the reviews on the websites, and look at what's got a 4/5 star rating, and I know I keep suggesting solid state amplifiers and apparently no matter what, they're all shitty and do whatever I can to not get one. My only reason for re suggesting them so often is cause I had more questions like "would a Ss be better if I needed headphones" or "are higher priced Ss better than lower priced tubes" and other shit that may be stupid to all of you knoledgables but me not knowing anything seems like legit questions, so for those of you being patient with me I appreciate it, but those who are just gonna say I'm stupid and they don't get me, if you're getting irritated than feel free to not post. You don't HAVE to deal with it if its that annoying to you. :p
^ Don't be so hard on yourself. You gotta have thick skin in a forum mang. You're in college. You're a big boy.

You also appear to have a multi-account.

*reported - mods, please check*

Have a good day!

Quote by Offworld92
I'm sure a few people make loadboxes with headphone out.

Two Notes Torpedo just off the top of my head.

Offword - you are wanted in the WTLT
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ Don't be so hard on yourself. You gotta have thick skin in a forum mang. You're in college. You're a big boy.

You also appear to have a multi-account.

*reported - mods, please check*

Have a good day!

Offword - you are wanted in the WTLT

I'm not trying to, I have one connected to my new facebook, and one connected to my old, and somehow i accidentally logged into the wrong one, this is my official. Also Im not being hard, Im just letting everyone know how much i know so they understand where im comming from,
Last edited by dyl shermanator at Jan 7, 2015,
Quote by dyl shermanator
I'm not trying to, I have one connected to my new facebook, and one connected to my old, and somehow i accidentally logged into the wrong one, this is my official. Also Im not being hard, Im just letting everyone know how much i know so they understand where im comming from,

Its cool you have dream and ambition of playing music on a large scale, we all do

We are just giving you our honest opinions on what your asking and trying to get you the best for what you have as a budget. I have played in gigging/touring bands since 2000 and since your wanting to do that we are trying to help you not make the expensive mistakes we all have.

Remember you need to be happy, not us and you have to pay for it not us
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Peavey Valveking has a Microphone Simulated Direct Interface (MSDI&trade output (aka direct out) with ground lift and speaker defeat switch.

Which means you can run it into a mixer or your audio interface on your computer , a stereo a headphone amp , whatever and use your headphones from there. flip the speaker defeat switch and no one will even know your playing.

No reason not to get one if your heart was really set on it.

And just for so you know the Blackstar ID:60 or 100 heads do NOT have a headphone out jack. I know i had one.
Last edited by Tone is King at Jan 7, 2015,
Quote by Tone is King
The Peavey Valveking has a Microphone Simulated Direct Interface (MSDI&trade output (aka direct out) with ground lift and speaker defeat switch.

Which means you can run it into a mixer or your audio interface on your computer , a stereo a headphone amp , whatever and use your headphones from there. flip the speaker defeat switch and no one will even know your playing.

No reason not to get one if your heart was really set on it.

And just for so you know the Blackstar ID:60 or 100 heads do NOT have a headphone out jack. I know i had one.

Thats the new Valveking. I dont remember old one having a headphone output (i have to double check.). Considering what kind of deal TS is seeing from VK stack its the old one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Thats the new Valveking. I dont remember old one having a headphone output (i have to double check.). Considering what kind of deal TS is seeing from VK stack its the old one.

I didn't say the new one had headphone out, i said it has a direct out (line out). Re-read my post.

You run the line out of any amp that has one into a mixer or audio interface with a headphone jack and whoa-la you can use headphone. If the amp doesnt have a speaker defeat feature you can run the cab out to a dummy load.
Last edited by Tone is King at Jan 8, 2015,
Quote by Tone is King
I didn't say the new one had headphone out, i said it has a direct out (line out). Re-read my post.

You run the line out of any amp that has one into a mixer or audio interface with a headphone jack and whoa-la you can use headphone. If the amp doesnt have a speaker defeat feature you can run the cab out to a dummy load.

Oh sorry. Anyway, the old Valveking does not have that either.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
ok understand things a little bit better now. first going by reviews at seller sites is pretty useless. most of those reviews are from peopke who just bought something so f course they say it's awesome.

your budget just doesn't allow for all that you want. on the off chance that you did get on warped would you want to show up with subpar gear? no one is trying kill you here just get you going in the right direction. you can get a cheap multifx unit for headphone practice and find a used amp for live that will do the trick.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jan 8, 2015,
Quote by MistaSnowman
Get one of these then get the amp you want....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CabClone8

Thats a cool unit, but his budget is 500 and that thing alone is like 300. Im pretty sure the two notes torpedo is beyond his budget too. Plus- he admitted he is inexperienced with gear, and i dont think a loadbox is a good place to start.

TS- The Line 6 POD has been mentioned a few times already, and I have to agree that that is what is best for you. I saw that you dont know what the POD is. Its basically digital effects (like reverb, delay, chorus and more) and digital amp modelling all rolled into a compact unit that can store presets so you tap a button and retrieve your sound. A digital modeller like this would be good for you because: A. Would sound great through headphones for home practice. B. Can be plugged directly into a mixer for gigs. And C. You could learn a lot about the different kinds of amps and effects there are out there (since you said you dont know much about any of it).

I really think a unit like that is a good place to start. I think people suggested the pod XT. I would take their suggestions. And when you outgrow the unit and think youre ready for an expensivd tube amp, you can use the unit in your effects loop to get your reverbs, delays, whatever. Good luck
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69