This feels weird to me. I wonder if this is common or if it fades with time. I'm mostly worried that if reflects a BIG FLAW in the way that I'm self-teaching, particularly that I skipped "counting". (Been self teaching for almost 4 months.)

It's most pronounced when I play Layla unplugged. I need to re-hear the song on youtube.com to get the rythm right. I can hear the song in my head, but once I start playing the rythm turns to mush in my mind,.. Unless I give it a listen first on you tube. doesn't that sound weird?!

I haven't put in any real work on counting. I played piano for many years and could just hear how something should sound and duplicate it.. I didn't need to "count" and I always thought that if you knew the song you don't really need to do that. My teacher made me learn "counting" but I never did it in practise. Maybe it's a bigger deal on guitar? (Or maybe I'm wrong about pianists too and my playing was never as good as I remember). I just don't want to spend time on "counting" unless I reall can't keep going without it.

Is my problem a common beginner problem with or without "counting". Or is this because I don't learn "the count"? Or some other issue.

(Or, worst case scenario, is it too late, I already screwed up and have self-ingrained and un-fixable bad habits. All that's left is to wish me better luck on saxaphone. KIDDING!!)
Quote by Stevuke79
This feels weird to me. I wonder if this is common or if it fades with time. I'm mostly worried that if reflects a BIG FLAW in the way that I'm self-teaching, particularly that I skipped "counting". (Been self teaching for almost 4 months.)

It's most pronounced when I play Layla unplugged. I need to re-hear the song on youtube.com to get the rythm right. I can hear the song in my head, but once I start playing the rythm turns to mush in my mind,.. Unless I give it a listen first on you tube. doesn't that sound weird?!

I haven't put in any real work on counting. I played piano for many years and could just hear how something should sound and duplicate it.. I didn't need to "count" and I always thought that if you knew the song you don't really need to do that. My teacher made me learn "counting" but I never did it in practise. Maybe it's a bigger deal on guitar? (Or maybe I'm wrong about pianists too and my playing was never as good as I remember). I just don't want to spend time on "counting" unless I reall can't keep going without it.

Is my problem a common beginner problem with or without "counting". Or is this because I don't learn "the count"? Or some other issue.

(Or, worst case scenario, is it too late, I already screwed up and have self-ingrained and un-fixable bad habits. All that's left is to wish me better luck on saxaphone. KIDDING!!)

I'm no source of knowledge on counting rhythm, but I learned Layla unplugged a while ago and I remember it having a 3/4 shuffle kind of rhythm, so it took me some getting used to to play that song. I don't count for anything else and I don't have a problem. You'll probably be just fine. That's just a different kind of song.
Hmm...
Skipping counting probably wasn't the best thing to do. It helps you pick up things like syncopation (note changes on different beats is the easiest way of explaining it, like in Layla).

You probably should have learned counting.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Guys, .. thanks for all these responses,.. this has been super helpfu!!

Quote by Pastafarian96
Hmm...
Skipping counting probably wasn't the best thing to do. It helps you pick up things like syncopation (note changes on different beats is the easiest way of explaining it, like in Layla).

You probably should have learned counting.

Really special thanks to you Pastafarian96.. based on this post I did a lesson on counting,.. which lead to triplets,.. which lead to blues shuffell..

Right after listening to that LESSON (not listening to Layla) I was able to nail Layla,.. so that was an epiphany. I've clearly been missing the counting.

Thanks for opening my eyes on that. When your self teaching it's hard to know what you're not getting.
Quote by 3Mb-Ry
just count, man. is not that hard

Well excuse me, I didn't realize we're all math majors here! just kidding.. totally teasing you.

And you're right. Funny thing is, I skipped it because it seemed so simple.

I guess it's not as simple (or at least not simple for me ) as I thought.

Irony: I'm in finance and when it comes to guitar it's the NUMBERS that are tripping me up!!
Quote by Sample246
I'm no source of knowledge on counting rhythm, but I learned Layla unplugged a while ago and I remember it having a 3/4 shuffle kind of rhythm, so it took me some getting used to to play that song. I don't count for anything else and I don't have a problem. You'll probably be just fine. That's just a different kind of song.

It is a peculiar rhythm. But what's funny is that as a novice you don't even see that the rhythm is any different. All I saw was that I couldn't get it..