Could anyone suggest a decent, inexpensive microphone i could plug into my computer to use for recording?
Depends.

How much money do you wanna spend, what do you wanna record exactly, and how good do you want the recordings to be?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I would spend around 100, but would probably go a bit higher. Id use it for recording mostly vocals, although i might record some acoustic guitar with it, and I would like for the recordings to sound as legitimate as possible
USB mic's sound pretty bad usually, and if you wanted to upgrade to relatively serious stuff you'd have to spend much more money.

If you want to do youtube covers and such, I'd suggest reading the introduction to recording sticky, getting an audio interface and a proper mic.

If you just want to record ideas and stuff, you might as well get a decent handled recorder, say a Zoom H1 (which can also act as an audio interface and a USB mic).

If for some reason you're sure an USB mic's your thing, then I'd get an apogee mic if you have a mac or a blue yeti if you don't.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The aforementioned sticky also has a section on why USB mics aren't all that great, would be worth checking out.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Spambot_2
USB mic's sound pretty bad usually, and if you wanted to upgrade to relatively serious stuff you'd have to spend much more money.

If you want to do youtube covers and such, I'd suggest reading the introduction to recording sticky, getting an audio interface and a proper mic.

If you just want to record ideas and stuff, you might as well get a decent handled recorder, say a Zoom H1 (which can also act as an audio interface and a USB mic).

If for some reason you're sure an USB mic's your thing, then I'd get an apogee mic if you have a mac or a blue yeti if you don't.

Thanks for the input, ill look into that introduction
Apart from all the reasons given in the recording sticky.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
^ the first point on that list is pretty moot - frequency response is different 'cause the converter's frequency response influences the mic's frequency response in the USB mic.

If you compared the frequency response of an SM57 passing through an ULN-2 and of the same mic passing through a scarlett solo, the difference would be similar to the ones seen in the XLR AT2020 and the USB one.

I do agree though I wouldn't buy one, I don't like the XLR version as well
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
There are other issues I find with USB mics, which are mainly that your audio out will be through the built in audio interface but beside that, the mic itself most likely will be quite comparable to its XLR counterpart. You might lose some fidelity but at that quality of gear it is negligible.