What is your view on having a certain mindset of how fast you want your next song before you even write it. I chose 117 bpm, because i tried lots of bpms and found it the most danceable beat. You put your metronome and compose to the metronome or is it bad?

Do any of you do it?
Quote by one vision

You wouldn't dance to a metronome.

On meth you would.
If you don't have anything rhythmic or melodic or anything about the "feeling" of the song in your mind, I think it's kind of pointless to start with the bpm. Of course you can decide if you want to write a slow or a fast song. But the exact bpm doesn't really mean anything before you have a rhythm. Some rhythms sound better when played a bit faster and some need a bit slower tempo (though many times I find my original tempo is just a tad bit too slow - and when played with a band, the tempo is usually a bit faster). So decide the exact bpm when you already have a rhythm. You can start with a drum beat of course. But that is not the same as starting with a bpm. If you have a drum beat, try it in different tempos and then decide the bpm. As I said, some things require just a bit faster/slower tempo.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Any tempo has a meaning in music.

But yes I find that in order to record I need to be in time before getting it recorded or otherwise it would be sloppy and hard to ad real drums to and other bits like vocals.

I do jam to my metronome and come up with stuff so it is working for me a great deal.
Yeah I mix it up. Sometimes I have my metronome on and sometimes I don't. When I use it I haven't found it to be a hindrance at all. If I am feeling "restricted" by the tempo I'll change the tempo.
Si
I never do it because in my mind, tempo is a flexible thing that is ultimately determined by the performers. I never get more specific than a range of BPM I have in mind.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
I think tempo can be a central element to some music - in certain types of house music, for example, raising the tempo by just a couple of points changes the "genre" of the track. If you have an idea for a cool 117bpm groove, stick on the metronome and bop away!

I compose with a metronome when I'm using my DAW to compose, because you need to set the tempo to hear playback. I also slave over getting the precise tempo I want.
Never let the metronome dictate my writing. I come up with an idea first, see what tempo suits the idea, and then continue writing from there, not the other way around.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
Never let the metronome dictate my writing. I come up with an idea first, see what tempo suits the idea, and then continue writing from there, not the other way around.

This.

As I said, it makes no sense if you don't have any idea of the rhythm or anything about the piece. Tempo really tells nothing before you have written any music. But if you have a drum loop, of course then the tempo is important. But before you have anything actual music, worrying about the tempo just doesn't make any sense.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I never write with a metronome. I think I'd end up with the most robotic sounding quarter note beat imaginable. Going through drum machine presets at a particular tempo would at least provide some rhythmic inspiration.
Quote by Rensa
What is your view on having a certain mindset of how fast you want your next song before you even write it. I chose 117 bpm, because i tried lots of bpms and found it the most danceable beat. You put your metronome and compose to the metronome or is it bad?

Do any of you do it?

That's a great way to set a framework.
117 lol danceable lol nerd.

Just kidding, but when I'm composing with rhythmic accompaniment, I prefer an actual intricate drum beat so I can feel the syncopation and essence. A metronome is too simple to draw any good ideas from imo.

On meth you would.
Last edited by one vision at Jan 14, 2015,
Quote by one vision

On meth you would.

This is my new sig!
Quote by one vision

On meth you would.