I bet there were 1000 "sing like Axl Rose" threads here, but I do need you advice so please bear with me

So basically, I can sing like Axl but I sound too high, a bit more like Brian Johnson from AC\DC.
Let me explain...

I can get the high notes, and I can get the distortion/grit/dirt that Axl has.
In fact, I have a lot of this "grit", like Axl does in this classic intro:
youtu.be/c7XkNbzmnpE?t=1m35s

Anyway, the problem is that for some reason I sound a bit like Brian Johnson from AC\DC, can't really find the right terms to explain it...

I think its something in my voice/technique behind the "dirty" sound, and not in the "dirt" it self... But I might be wrong...

I tried to play with my mouth and throat and stuff but I can't seem to nail it.

Any suggestions on how to sound more like Axl and less like Brian?

Thanks!
Last edited by ThoriumEx at Jan 7, 2015,
I really like Axl's voice and the diversity that he showed throughout the GNR catalogue.
I don't have any advice except that Axl seemed to constantly complain about his throat and vocal chords. Be careful.
Si
I think its something in my voice/technique behind the "dirty" sound, and not in the "dirt" it self... But I might be wrong...

I agree. You have no technique. There's this weird movement of people with instructional dvds claiming that there's a technique behind 'grit' and 'distortion', there isn't. All it is is essentially slowly strangling yourself, just enough to sound 'RAWK', but not enough that it ruins your voice after one session, and that's rubbish. The difference between Brian Johnson and Axl is that Brian is just putting on a voice in his usual range (his voice is not high at all), and Axl's distortion is made by him forcing his voice to hit notes that it shouldn't be singing, so his voice is thinner and more shallow then Brians deeper tone.
Why not try & sing like yourself instead of trying to sound like someone else?

Use these qualities that you are describing to create your own vocal style. Individuality will take you a lot further than simply being a clone.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud