I play in a punky Dinosaur JR, Eagulls type band. A friend is selling an MXR custom comp and am wondering if I should pick it up...

I want to keep my amp loud and feedy - will the comp take that away? What are the benefits for me? I should probably mention that though I'm quoting Dinosaur JR, we don't have any lead solos, just some small simple lead riffs here and there - mostly power chords.

Let me know thoughts, thanks!
It can't hurt to try it....

The compressor will take away or add what you tell it too though. Set it with a high output, you'll increase your drive, set it low & you'll decrease it.

Worst thing that could happen? You buy something off a mate that you end up selling
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I was looking around for a compressor, I loved the dynacomp over a number of other compressors. but the custom comp is not in stock in my country so I would have to wait for about 2 months to try it out :/ everyone says that it is an improvement over the dynacomp and its more transparent.
You could buy it for fun; but i would think for a band sound like you describe, you would want a more raw dynamic crunch. I think a compressor will smooth and even it out more, and reduce your attack. Thats just my opinion though
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by GaryBillington
It can't hurt to try it....

The compressor will take away or add what you tell it too though. Set it with a high output, you'll increase your drive, set it low & you'll decrease it.

Worst thing that could happen? You buy something off a mate that you end up selling

What? That's not what a compressor does at all. Sure you can use the output level to add or drop the signal volume, but it's not adding or removing any overdrive.

All a compressor does is reduce the dynamic range. It raises quiet sounds and lowers loud ones so everything comes out at the same volume. Because of this you also get a lot more sustain. It also greatly reduces attack so you can lose some of your note definition especially if you're using distortion.

Personally I think they're great if you're playing a lot of open or spanky sounding clean stuff as well as for any kind of melodic lead playing.
Quote by icronic
What? That's not what a compressor does at all. Sure you can use the output level to add or drop the signal volume, but it's not adding or removing any overdrive.

All a compressor does is reduce the dynamic range. It raises quiet sounds and lowers loud ones so everything comes out at the same volume. Because of this you also get a lot more sustain. It also greatly reduces attack so you can lose some of your note definition especially if you're using distortion.

Personally I think they're great if you're playing a lot of open or spanky sounding clean stuff as well as for any kind of melodic lead playing.

This depends how you use it.

If you use it to boost the input heading into your drive pedal/amp, the end result will be more drive than you had without it.
If you use it to lower the input going into your drive pedal/amp, the drive will be cleaned up (much like when you roll off the volume on your guitar).
If you have it set at about the same output level as you have without it, then it just reduces the dynamics as you said.

There's a lot of ways to use a compressor. Personally I use them to boost the input going into my drive pedals so I get more bite - I actually hate using them for clean sounds!!
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i hated the dynacomp. sold it a few days later, for a few bucks more. it wasn't great plus it was noisy as hell.

i am going diamond or the wampler ego, but again i am looking to spend $150+. they do a really good job in comparison. i havne't tried the diamond, but it is extremely well received.

i played the wampler and loved it. the blend knob is cool and really makes a difference.

good luck
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
some compressors have more "tone" than others. some are known for certain spanks or squish. some that are not as good, may just evel out the highs and lows but not add character. to me thats like all the negative of no dynamics but no benefit to tone.

when i click on my compressor, i am going for a certain tone or dynamic that suits teh music i am playing.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by GaryBillington
This depends how you use it.

If you use it to boost the input heading into your drive pedal/amp, the end result will be more drive than you had without it.
If you use it to lower the input going into your drive pedal/amp, the drive will be cleaned up (much like when you roll off the volume on your guitar).
If you have it set at about the same output level as you have without it, then it just reduces the dynamics as you said.

There's a lot of ways to use a compressor. Personally I use them to boost the input going into my drive pedals so I get more bite - I actually hate using them for clean sounds!!

I think more drive might be the wrong choice in words. You'll be pushing the front end of the amp harder with a louder signal, but no compressor I've ever used actually creates an overdriven tone. On amps that are already over driven it'll add saturation and drive, but on a clean amp it'll just be louder.

But it's kind of beside the point. Yes, you can use them to hit the front end of your amp harder, but that's not what they were designed for and they don't do that particular job nearly as well as a clean boost pedal would.
Quote by icronic
I think more drive might be the wrong choice in words. You'll be pushing the front end of the amp harder with a louder signal, but no compressor I've ever used actually creates an overdriven tone. On amps that are already over driven it'll add saturation and drive, but on a clean amp it'll just be louder.

Semantics

I was only talking about an amp with drive engaged though to be fair, maybe I should have been more specific with that.

Quote by icronic
But it's kind of beside the point. Yes, you can use them to hit the front end of your amp harder, but that's not what they were designed for and they don't do that particular job nearly as well as a clean boost pedal would.

It's far from besides the point - all you've done with comparing them to clean boost is merely express an opinion, mine differs.

FWIW, I use clean boost for the same job as well at different times. Sometimes the compressor works better, sometimes the boost works better.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 9, 2015,