Hello there. Are there anyone else who's using a cloth under the bridge of the guitar in order to muffle the sound and therefore practice w/o fear of the neighbors hearing and complaining?
I began using this method of practicing 5 months ago and I've been using it ever since for practicing scales and also recently for practicing fingerstyle pieces; not because I have nasty neighbors but simply because I don't want them to hear me practicing - it really makes me feel uncomfortable if they can hear me repeating the same thing over and over again.
Are there others who are practicing like this or who have tried? What do you think overall? Is this bad for technique or bad for musicality? I simply want to find out from people who have tried if this is also working for them. I think this is akin to practicing on an unplugged electric guitar. What do you guys think? Is this a good or bad idea?
(mods are free to move this thread if this is not the appropriate sub-forum)
Last edited by Yper at Jan 7, 2015,
first off, how sure are you your neighbors can hear you?

one bad thing is that you may be depriving your skill of muting notes with the right hand.

personally i wouldn't do it, but if you have that anxiety, its better to do that than quit. you could pick up an electric and play it unamplified. nobody will hear you at all.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/