I know there is a drumming section of the forum but that place is dead most of the time and this is kind of interesting regardless. If mods wanna move this go ahead.

I recently strapped on a heart rate monitor while playing the drums to see the differences in the songs and these are my results (average heart rate). I am a 26 year old male around 5'10" and fluctuate around 198lbs:

Mayday Parade:
Jamie All Over - 115
Stay - 110
Incubus:
Circles - 112
Nebula - 127
Dream Theater:
The Dance of Eternity - 130
Of Mice and Men:
Still YDG'n - 130
A Day to Remember:
Fast Forward to 2012 - 130
The Devil Wears Prada:
Escape - 160
Between the Buried and Me:
Sun of Nothing (the first 4 minutes) - 160

I plugged those numbers into a "calorie calculator" and it said calories burned are as follows:
130bpm = 717cal/hour (4 mins = 48 cal)
160bpm = 989cal/hour (4 mins = 66 cal)

Now the question is...are these figures legit to go by? Or not since I am sitting and playing drums rather than lifting weights or running? I personally think they should be legit since the heart rate monitor doesn't lie and these are scientific calculations (also by the fact that I am starving after playing a long gig of drumming). Just kind of an interesting thing that I wanted to try. I haven't really found many articles about this kind of thing. It'd be interesting to do this for other instruments as well...
I think drums will help for sure. just playing guitar live burns your muscles up after a while
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by anthsband
Now the question is...are these figures legit to go by?
For you alone, 'cause better drummers use less muscles and hence burn less calories.

Also some just play quieter, resulting in the same effect.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 7, 2015,
Depends which calorie counter you go by.

As has also been suggested, it may also suggest your drumming style is vastly inefficient, and you really need to work on technique.
There are so many variables to this question. Obviously, the numbers will vary from person to person, so the goal would be to design an experiment and then organise the data. I have no idea how you'd manage to remove all of the confounds, but more power to you.

Ah, I've not thought of "Still Ydg'n" in ages. It could be the silliest song title ever, and also the worst guitar arrangement. :')
Quote by anthsband
I am a 26 year old male around 5'10" and fluctuate around 198lbs:

Hellloooooooo sailor!
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by slapsymcdougal

As has also been suggested, it may also suggest your drumming style is vastly inefficient, and you really need to work on technique.

Damn people...I'm playing Dance of Eternity and Sun of Nothing....I don't think my technique is THAT inefficient But in all seriousness I know what you mean. It could also mean I'm really out of shape which def applies here hahah
It's really difficult to work out calories burned. Your heart rate can be high, but it depends what your muscles are doing and how much they burn doing the required effort. Bigger, stronger muscles require more calories to move, smaller weaker muscles require less. A hench drummer and a beefed up drummer can probably play the same songs and get a high heart rate when doing it, but one will burn more calories.
Quote by andyscoot
It's really difficult to work out calories burned. Your heart rate can be high, but it depends what your muscles are doing and how much they burn doing the required effort. Bigger, stronger muscles require more calories to move, smaller weaker muscles require less. A hench drummer and a beefed up drummer can probably play the same songs and get a high heart rate when doing it, but one will burn more calories.

True. Well the calorie calculator thing that I used takes into account your age/weight/etc however like you and others have said, depends on what shape you are in and the calculator doesn't know that.
My parents once made this rule that I could only play guitar if I'd done like half on hour or so of exercise (I didn't like exercise). I tried to get around that saying playing guitar can raise one's heartbeat, it's light exercise in itself bla bla bla

They didn't buy it

Maybe I'll take up drums now
interesting...

...Dr. Zhivago
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
On a scale of 1-10 it'd probably be a 3 in terms of exercise, but if you do nothing else for exercise besides that then it's a lot better than nothing haha
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Quote by anthsband
Damn people...I'm playing Dance of Eternity and Sun of Nothing....I don't think my technique is THAT inefficient But in all seriousness I know what you mean. It could also mean I'm really out of shape which def applies here hahah

I don't mean to insult you in any way, but my technique is average if not less than average and I can play Dance of Eternity with no problem at all. And I've been playing that song since my technique was pretty freaking awful What I'm trying to say is that playing some songs, like TDOE (?), are rhythmically technical, but not physically technical in my opinion. There is always room for improvement that will let you reduce the amount of energy you consume while playing.

Cheers!

EDIT: ffs what I'm trying to say is that The Dance of Eternity does not demand that much technique or physical exercise, but rather a comprehension (sp) of it's time signatures. Or at the very least a very impressive rhythmic memory
Quote by Victory2134
You're just so energetic and cute. Exactly what I want in a pet squirrel, except you're a person.

I kindly ask you to correct my grammar. And also to smile.
Last edited by NUMAS at Jan 7, 2015,
Quote by NUMAS
I don't mean to insult you in any way, but my technique is average if not less than average and I can play Dance of Eternity with no problem at all. And I've been playing that song since my technique was pretty freaking awful What I'm trying to say is that playing some songs, like TDOE (?), are rhythmically technical, but not physically technical in my opinion. There is always room for improvement that will let you reduce the amount of energy you consume while playing.

Cheers!

EDIT: ffs what I'm trying to say is that The Dance of Eternity does not demand that much technique or physical exercise, but rather a comprehension (sp) of it's time signatures. Or at the very least a very impressive rhythmic memory

Just defending my drumming skills, thats all haha You didn't offend. You're insane though if you think that that Dance of Eternity is easy to play compared to other songs/bands. I mean yeah its not the hardest song in the world but you have to at least be at a certain skill level to play it and I dunno about you but most drummers around this area I would say cannot play it. Sun of Nothing is definitely physically challenging though...as are any BTBAM song Anyway like I said I was just defending my skills!