Anything I should look out for? The dog is an uncut male bull terrier mix and is almost 2y old. Looks cute in photos but I will actually head out to the shelter this Saturday.

he has all his shots but i dont know anything else about him
pinga
Adopting

Get it neutered.

Idk much about bull terriers other than that they have a lot of muscle mass and probably need to exercise daily.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
make sure he is neutered. if they do digital implanted id tag things, make sure he has that too. check his medical records to see when he had those shots.
banned
It might take time to get used to you being that you got him as a 2 year old not a pup
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by eGraham
Adopting

Get it neutered.

Idk much about bull terriers other than that they have a lot of muscle mass and probably need to exercise daily.

definitely need to exercise daily. they are also strong for their size because of their stocky build. this does not make them inherently aggressive, just know that he will be strong.
banned
Quote by cha33 armstrong
It might take time to get used to you being that you got him as a 2 year old not a pup

never bothered me, although it would have been cool to see that i don't love my dog any less
banned
can I ask why everybody is suggesting getting him neutered? it just seems unnecessary.

my friend has a husky whos 7y old and he's not neutered and he's fine
pinga
Make sure it won't be home alone for long periods of time. And just reading the wiki on the mix it seems like they type of breed that'll need lots of walks and exercise daily. Be nice and don't hit it. It might get use to you right away, or it'll take some time and it may pee in the house out of nervousness.
I don't know about neutering, but you should definitely get him circumcised. Dog smegma is not a joke.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Cb4rabid
can I ask why everybody is suggesting getting him neutered? it just seems unnecessary.

Dog might get desperate and try to reproduce with you. It happens
Quote by Cb4rabid
I see. How does a dog react after you neuter it? I can't imagine it will be too happy after some dude (me) comes along, takes it from a shelter and then gets it's manhood lopped off.

but also what if I want puppies in the future :c

Adopt them from a shelter. You'll pretty much just have to wait until January/February when kids get sick of their Christmas presents, because that shit still happens, because people are dumb.
has he got a name already?

of so what is it? if not what are you gunna call it?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
meow
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Cb4rabid
I see. How does a dog react after you neuter it? I can't imagine it will be too happy after some dude (me) comes along, takes it from a shelter and then gets it's manhood lopped off.

but also what if I want puppies in the future :c

nah. they are just generally more chill and listen to you a lot better. less territorial, less aggressive etc.

if you are going to be breeding dogs, i hope youre a professional dog breeder. otherwise, please don't go there. i've seen first hand what irresponsible breeding leads to. its not pretty. you could end up causing many dogs to have various health issues. i knew a dog who was born with his hip so ****ed up he couldnt walk. he was the biggest sweetheart man, but i'm pretty sure he was put down because to let him live in that state would've been rather cruel.
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Jan 7, 2015,
It just feels so mean and cruel to neuter a dog. I'll see what to do when and if the time comes.

either way his name is Spud but I would definitely prefer to change that and no im not a dog breeder. considering he is a male dog i thought it was as easy as letting him mount some bitch and I walk away with some money. i wasn't planning on breeding I was just wondering if I ever wanted puppies in the future it would suck to not have the option but its not a huge deal
pinga
Alright dude, you need to make sure it needs to exercise daily and sorta have wide space outside or inside
Quote by Cb4rabid
It just feels so mean and cruel to neuter a dog. I'll see what to do when and if the time comes.

either way his name is Spud but I would definitely prefer to change that and no im not a dog breeder. considering he is a male dog i thought it was as easy as letting him mount some bitch and I walk away with some money. i wasn't planning on breeding I was just wondering if I ever wanted puppies in the future it would suck to not have the option but its not a huge deal

trust me, its defs not cruel. i work at an aspca shelter where we provide these services. it doesnt hurt cos they'll be under during surgery and it has many health benefits. also a dog is a dog and has no concept of masculinity and will not feel like "less of a man" because he is a dog.
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Jan 7, 2015,
Quote by Cb4rabid

I have had two male dogs who were not neutered. (golden retriever and a German shepherd)
they can smell a female in heat from a few miles away and try to run away to make babies. both ran off we found our shepherd but never found our golden retriever.
Quote by Cb4rabid
http://www.petharbor.com/get_image.asp?RES=Detail&ID=A1664834&LOCATION=MIAD

this is a picture of him if anyone is wondering. ill admit any animal is cute with a little gold tophat on but he looks like a nice dog and ive always liked bull terriers

does the dog need any rehab after surgery? or does it just carry on like nothing happened

That is a very nice looking bull terrier.

He should be fine after the surgery, he'll be groggy and you may have to keep him from chewing his stitches but he'll be fine unless he reacts to the anaesthetic which is rare but it happens.

Just be thankful he's not a greyhound*, just about every one of them I've seen come back from the vet's is really, really groggy.

*I worked at a greyhound rearing and spelling kennel for 5 years and have helped take more than 80 greyhounds to the vet.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Cb4rabid
http://www.petharbor.com/get_image.asp?RES=Detail&ID=A1664834&LOCATION=MIAD

this is a picture of him if anyone is wondering. ill admit any animal is cute with a little gold tophat on but he looks like a nice dog and ive always liked bull terriers

does the dog need any rehab after surgery? or does it just carry on like nothing happened

awwwwww <3

nah, he'll need to wear a cone for like a week while it heals so he doesn't mess with the stitches but other than that he's good.
banned
Quote by slapsymcdougal
If it's had all the shots, it might be hungover. But it should have recovered by Saturday.
Ba dump tssssss
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Magnumopus7001
I have had two male dogs who were not neutered. (golden retriever and a German shepherd)
they can smell a female in heat from a few miles away and try to run away to make babies. both ran off we found our shepherd but never found our golden retriever.

My uhh bitch has been desexed and non-neutered dog still try to mate with her, which really distresses her, which in turn, makes the male dog act even more aggressively. If you neuter your dogs I will buy you a drink if you visit this part of the world. Leave breeding to breeders
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Cb4rabid

Because I have very strong opinions on people who allow dogs to breed when they can't care for the pups themselves.

If you can, by all means, don't neuter him. It generally makes the dog calmer, but otherwise won't really change their behavior much, if that's what you're worried about.

But I mean the reason you're able to adopt is because someone didn't neuter their dog, so.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~