I am interested in purchasing a Fuzz pedal. Most fuzz pedal users tend to be Marshall players or other amps that break up. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe which is very clean, thus, I'm not sure that I would get that nice iconic fuzz tones. I would need the amp gain to be set quite high for other sounds. Examples would be really helpful.

If I get the fuzz, do you place it before or after the Ibanez TS9.

At the moment, I am not sure what fuzz pedal I should get.
what type of tones are you after?

you normally don't need really high gain on the amp, just a little bit of breakup to warm things up. the od channel should work, just set the gain pretty low on it.

though i should add i haven't tried fuzz pedals with your amp, i'm just assuming
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are a wide variety of fuzz pedals out there and a lot of "iconic" fuzz tones. A fuzz will sound just fine with a HRD. Not every fuzz user was using one drive a Marshall, Hendrix and Eric Johnson are the only ones that I can really think of. But if you want to get that boomy, crunchy, splatt-y fuzz sound like early David Gilmour, it sounds just fine going into a pretty clean amp.
I have a friend that has a Hot Rod Deville.
He runs it only on the clean channel.
IMO, and that of MANY, MANY other people the dirt channel on any Fender "Hot Rod" series is complete and utter shit.

Anyway, he runs it on the clean channel and uses a Dunlop Fuzz Face (The big round one) for his fuzz tones.
And it sounds awesome.
But to be fair, this guy could probably make a Marshall MG sound good.
yes im a fan of gilmour. I cant set the amp dirty channel on low gain as I use it with other effects on high gain, it is set at about 3 o clock. do I place it before or after the ts9?
It really depends on how you want it to sound. You can try it both ways and see which way you prefer it. People do both.
Quote by Gab_Azz
yes im a fan of gilmour. I cant set the amp dirty channel on low gain as I use it with other effects on high gain, it is set at about 3 o clock. do I place it before or after the ts9?

Skreddy Lunar Module.

Was built based on the tone from Gilmour's solo in Time.

Sounds great with pretty much everything I've plugged into ranging from clean Fender style amps to fairly overdriven AC30s.

As far as Fuzz goes it's a rather polite sounding pedal so if you're looking for something that gets a bit rude then it might not be the best choice.

I rather like the Earthquaker Decives Hoof as well. Otherwise there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Fuzz Face.
Last edited by icronic at Jan 7, 2015,
I was thinking about building it myself to take the spot of my 535Q on the pedalboard as I don't use it that much. I got a pair of 'Russian' germanium transistors that I could use for my circuit or try a couple of commercially available silicone ones. I've already made a silicone one but at the time I did not have a tube amp and a SS distortion was better with my old amp.
I have a HRD combo myself.

Right now, I have an Electroharmonix Russian Big Muff, which is a classic muff pedal. Works fine. But in search of different flavors of fuzz sounds, I've gotten a Spaceman Effects WOW signal, and will be getting a Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun and a Catalinbread Perseus Octave-fuzz. Maybe others.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Gab_Azz

depends on what the fuzz is. Some fuzzes like fuzz faces don't like being after a buffer so they need to go first in the chain. Some other fuzzes don't mind so much (muffs?) so you can place them based on the tone you prefer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I currently use a BMP w/ TW. I'd look though into the JHS fuzz pedal.
Fender Lefty Stratocaster
Ernie Ball Super Slinky Purple Strings
Vox AC15
Misc. Pedals
Quote by Gab_Azz
I am interested in purchasing a Fuzz pedal. Examples would be really helpful.

If I get the fuzz, do you place it before or after the Ibanez TS9.

(In order of highest rec to lowest)

Park Fuzz Sound: $175 Boutique Fuzz, smooth and natural.

Walrus Audio Iron Horse: $169 Not a "Fuzz" pedal, but gets Fuzzy/sags.

EHX Big Muff (Fullsize, Mini, Nano): ~$80 Is this even a Fuzz pedal? It gets Fuzzy easily.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=fuzz+pedal

I would place the TS9 before the fuzz so that it thickens up a bit, and you can use it live easier. You could try both though.
Quote by Will Lane
(In order of highest rec to lowest)

Park Fuzz Sound: $175 Boutique Fuzz, smooth and natural.

Walrus Audio Iron Horse: $169 Not a "Fuzz" pedal, but gets Fuzzy/sags.

EHX Big Muff (Fullsize, Mini, Nano): ~$80 Is this even a Fuzz pedal? It gets Fuzzy easily.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=fuzz+pedal

I would place the TS9 before the fuzz so that it thickens up a bit, and you can use it live easier. You could try both though.

big muff kinda straddles the point between fuzz and distortion but techniclly is a fuzz.
If you're a gilmour fan, try running ts9 into a big muff. Roll back your guitar tone a bit and have a fair bit of gain coming from the ts9 to get that smooth attack on the notes. But really the best way is to figure it out on your own man, there are no rules. Mess around until you get a sound you like
I quite like the sound of TS9 AFTER the fuzz! That way it's more of a tone-shaper, and gets you those extra mids you lose from a muff. Think that's how Gilmour uses overdrives with his Fuzz too (admittedly he uses a more transparent clean boost than the TS9).

If you're interested in gilmour sounds you should check out the Gilmourish website, he has a huge Big Muff buyers guide! Basically reviews all the popular names in fuzz for their Gilmour tones.
Early Gilmour is all fuzz face. Analogman sunface is still the best for earlier Gimour. Muffs are good for later Gilmour and for running with an OD the way that Gilmour did. FF and BM are two completely different types of fuzz pedals, you need to figure out which type you want.
^ "both" normally ends up being the answer
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ "both" normally ends up being the answer

Exactly... if only i had the space... no what I would like is to get something similar to a jimi hendrix tone using the fuzz... if it is possible at all using a fender HRD instead of a marshall amp.
^ I think hendrix is a fuzz face (at least the hendrix which isn't octave fuzz). I don't think it should be a problem with the fender amp, but I could be wrong.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?