A band I play for recently got offered to play a pretty cool venue (at least for our third show). They asked that we don't play any other shows near the date (5 weeks on either side). I've been asked that of previous venues while in other bands (that I didn't have a say in), and we ended up doing shows within a couple weeks on both sides. As far as I know, there won't any real consequences.

Have any of you been asked this by a venue? What did you do, and what were the consequences? I understand wanting people to come to their venue, but it seems a little unrealistic to ask local bands to only play one show every 2 and a half months
You can't play somewhere else five weeks before or after the show there? Never heard of such a ******ed rule.
I've seen this before. Normally to get around it your band can play under another name.
My current band had this once when we played a special event in town. I think we had some private stuff but other than that we obeyed it. It was also only two weeks on either side though.

When I was touring that was a pretty common thing worked into the contract. Couldn't play within a certain radius of any given city for like a year or something. Makes sure you don't oversaturate a market and thereby reduce the number of people that will be at that venue.

Follow your heart, I guess. I would ask them what kind of mile radius they're talking. To say you can't play any shows at all for 10 weeks anywhere is silly.
#DTWD
The only time I had this was pretty frustrating.

We practice at this one venue where we also play about 3 or 4 times a year - it's the drummer's local. The pub next door had been trying to get us to play there for a while, but we were reluctant to do it because of our allegiances to our practice venue.

Eventually late last year, we agreed to fill in there when they had a last minute cancellation (after doing the honourable thing & running it past our practice venue first). As it happened, we played both venues within a week of each other.

Even though the two bars have completely separate customers, now the second venue is getting pissy with us and not booking us again because we played the two shows so close to each other. After all the time we'd been worried about upsetting our local, now it's the other place (who we did a huge favour for by stepping in at the last minute) that's being a pain about it - even though by planning them in advance we could keep the dates apart.

It's understandable that they might not want you playing the same town within a few weeks, as they'll want to get as many people as possible through the door. If they tell you not to play out of town gigs too, they're going to struggle to get any bands to play there unless it's a particularly fantastic venue.

At the end of the day, it depends how much you want the gig. If you want it, you'll do what the venue says.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Never heard of that.
How much are you making from that one show? 10 weeks worth of the money you could make?

I say your options are
1. negotiate, tell them that is pretty ridiculous and offer 1 week on each side
2. lie, tell them you agree then play other shows anyway
3. tell them no

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Don't play any nearby shows for 5 weeks before the big one, but after that they can blow it out their asses. You've already played the show, what are they gonna do?

EDIT: Just for the record, for those of you who don't play out that much, this is actually a really common practice, especially for venues that are dedicated concert venues, and not just bars with stages.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Jan 7, 2015,
Quote by Kalibe
I've seen this before. Normally to get around it your band can play under another name.

This. Seriously, if you have a 2 word name, just swap the first letters about or something. Or call yourselves "<venue with stupid policy> Are Dicks And Suck Dick And Take Dick In The Dick And In The Ass"
I've gotta ask, how is a rule like that benefiting anyone???
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I've gotta ask, how is a rule like that benefiting anyone???

Well, in theory it benefits the venue enforcing the rule because it makes the show there the only opportunity for almost 3 months to see the internationally acclaimed recording artists they've booked to appear locally.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Well, in theory it benefits the venue enforcing the rule because it makes the show there the only opportunity for almost 3 months to see the internationally acclaimed recording artists they've booked to appear locally.

Wow......thanks for explaning though, I've never come across a venue with a rule like that.....Seems kinda selfish though. If a band wanted me to do that and I was in a band that was making some sort of regular income from it, I'd want to make sure the amount I was getting paid for that gig was worth it.....just my two cents though.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Wow......thanks for explaning though, I've never come across a venue with a rule like that.....Seems kinda selfish though. If a band wanted me to do that and I was in a band that was making some sort of regular income from it, I'd want to make sure the amount I was getting paid for that gig was worth it.....just my two cents though.

That's true enough. Though as someone else suggested, they could play no gigs for the 5 weeks before, and then play after, or just play under a different name during the 10 weeks they're being asked not to play.
I get why this rule would work if you are an international artist, but local bands? come on....
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Pretty normal rule for actual venues. It's fair for everyone in the end. Venue guarantees more punters, you get more people guaranteed on the night, and (unless you are in the arse end of nowhere) it shouldn't be too hard to find venues outside of their encatchment area. If you want to gig after, just don't advertise, because that is the main issue. If you are support or TBA and you aren't shouting off about it, then you're not really in breach of your contract. It is also handy to build relationships with these types of venues early on, as they remember the guys who act pro and recommend you to promoters.

Quote by primusfan
My current band had this once when we played a special event in town. I think we had some private stuff but other than that we obeyed it. It was also only two weeks on either side though.

When I was touring that was a pretty common thing worked into the contract. Couldn't play within a certain radius of any given city for like a year or something. Makes sure you don't oversaturate a market and thereby reduce the number of people that will be at that venue.

Follow your heart, I guess. I would ask them what kind of mile radius they're talking. To say you can't play any shows at all for 10 weeks anywhere is silly.

+1. My old band had a European tour booked, and the schedule was hectic due to these rules. Pretty much a new country every day (Belgium, Russia, Italy, Holland, Germany) or venues that were other ends of each other.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Last edited by cliff_em_all at Jan 8, 2015,
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Never heard of that.
How much are you making from that one show? 10 weeks worth of the money you could make?

I say your options are
1. negotiate, tell them that is pretty ridiculous and offer 1 week on each side
2. lie, tell them you agree then play other shows anyway
3. tell them no

I'll agree #3.
#2 not so much. That one might come back to bite you in the ass.
As for #1, I also agree, negotiate.
Start with 3 or 4 days. But be willing to accept 2 weeks on either side.

it also depends on the venue in question.
Does this venue normally get bands like Judas Priest, Slayer, BTBAM, Dream Theater, and artists of that level?
Or just local acts or acts that had some success like 20 - 30 years ago?

And this part:

5 weeks on either side is ridiculous unless you are making enough for that one show to make up for possible lost gigging opportunities/income.

And like someone else asked, does that include ANY SHOWS, IN ANY LOCATION?
Or just say other clubs within say, a 20 mile radius?
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 8, 2015,
that's dumb as shit.

and what are they gonna do? come to your house with clubs and beat you if you do have a show within 5 weeks of theirs.

it's understandable if they were asking not to have one on the same day or week. the smaller shows i go to here always have that problem. once, something like 3 shows (with touring bands) got cancelled the day of their shows because a bigger local band decided to play a last minute show on the same day.

not venues by the way. house shows where you pay at the door. still pretty dickish that the houses holding the shows ****ed over the touring bands.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
just slightly alter your band name lol
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Booking agency in my city does sort of the same thing. Any show THEY book for your band means that they cannot book another show for you 2 weeks on either side. They still allow the bands to play their own house shows/out of city shows/etc
SNSD
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
EDIT: Just for the record, for those of you who don't play out that much, this is actually a really common practice, especially for venues that are dedicated concert venues, and not just bars with stages.

Of course, but there's no reason a small-time band should have to swallow this bullshit. It's TS's band's 3rd show. Unless TS is Slash, then no one even really knows of his band, besides the people who are his friends or (possibly) those who attended the other 2 shows.

A big-time band can afford this. A small-time band that's still playing locally, that's fucking ridiculous.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Of course, but there's no reason a small-time band should have to swallow this bullshit. It's TS's band's 3rd show. Unless TS is Slash, then no one even really knows of his band, besides the people who are his friends or (possibly) those who attended the other 2 shows.

A big-time band can afford this. A small-time band that's still playing locally, that's fucking ridiculous.

I wouldn't say it's ridiculous. It's actually something to get used to. Our first show was in an established venue that drew a fairly large audience, and we just performed a load of other gigs in neighboring areas. It all depends on the en-catchment area. If it's 100 Miles, yeah, it is a piss take, if it's a 30 minute drive from the venue, not so much. Where is a venues incentive to host your Wednesday night show of tour when the place next door has Friday, and the place across the road has Saturday?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

Quote by cliff_em_all
I wouldn't say it's ridiculous. It's actually something to get used to. Our first show was in an established venue that drew a fairly large audience, and we just performed a load of other gigs in neighboring areas. It all depends on the en-catchment area. If it's 100 Miles, yeah, it is a piss take, if it's a 30 minute drive from the venue, not so much. Where is a venues incentive to host your Wednesday night show of tour when the place next door has Friday, and the place across the road has Saturday?

That's if it's YOUR show.

If it's your 3rd gig, you're the opening act and your main audience is the other bands and their girlfriends, who gives a shit?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
That's if it's YOUR show.

If it's your 3rd gig, you're the opening act and your main audience is the other bands and their girlfriends, who gives a shit?

The venue still cannot always take that risk. Regardless if it's one man and his dog watching, if there is a chance of him going to your show on another day, that's potential lost £££ to a venue. I'll agree 5 weeks is a bit extreme and TS should negotiate, but TS should just go under "+ Support" or "TBA" on a few shows afterwards, but still be happy to set up merch tables and the like. One thing I have noticed about 90% of venues who offer this medium is the gigs are generally more worth it then others who don't offer this, so TS should go to a few gigs there that are of a similar genre and see the audience. If you have potential to play to 200+ punters who are gunna dig it, it's better than saying no, avoiding it, and playing a load of shows that only pull in 100 people between them. We just used to not put ourselves on the posters is all and use word of mouth at other shows to say where we were going to be.

The other option with this, is don't advertise local shows BEFORE this gig. That guarantees the venue the protection that they want. After the show, they're normally more lenient with playing other venues IF no one knows about the venues before. We played 2 venues frequently on the outside of London, and one was very lenient, and the other very strict. When we played the strict venue first, we never advertised the other venue until after the gig, and normally via facebook as opposed to telling everyone there, and they never seemed that bothered. Hopefully one day TS doesn't encounter the "By playing a show through my promotions company, you cannot play one on this promoter for x months". That one can really damage your prospects.
Quote by ZanasCross

Last edited by cliff_em_all at Jan 8, 2015,