So, here it goes.

I got a Scarlett 2i4, to replace my old M-Audio FastTrack Pro, since it kept crashing and wasnt really reliable. I didnt really mind that on my previous computer, but now i got a new laptop, and i installed win8.1 on it, and for some reason, when the FastTrack crashed, it, more often than not, caused a bluescreen. You can imagine it is a pretty big pain in the ass. On win7 on my previous pc, i just turned it off and then back on, and it usually just started working again.

Now, i installed all the drivers for the Scarlett, and pluged it in. Everythig works, playback, recording, no problems whatsoever. Except that it also crashes. A lot. Like, i have to unplug and plug it back in like every 20 minutes. Sometimes it lasts an hour, hour and a half, sometimes it craps out 4 times in a row in like 2 minutes. I have a feeling it crashes when i change active youtube videos often, but sometimes it works just fine during that, so that doesnt seem to be the cause. I have no idea what to do. It works fine in reaper, while the FastTrack sometimes crashed during recording as well. I havent done any extensive recording with it yet, so it may still crash.

Would installing Asio4all help? As far as i know that would only turn on when i used Reaper, not when im just using windows normaly? Would disabling the laptop sound device, while using the Scarlett help? When im at home i have the laptop plugged into the Scarlett, but when i take it to school i of course dont take it with me, and i just use the integrated card for listening to music or whatever.

Anyway, any help would be apreciated, since i spent money on this specificly in the hopes of it being more stable, and this is not the case. I can take it back to the store and use the fast track again, but that will not solve the original problems of stability.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
What specifically is crashing? Is the interface going dark and needs to be unplugged, or is your DAW crashing?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
It just goes silent. There is no sound coming out of it. All the lights are on. And it doesnt even crash in the DAW, it just randomly stops giving out sound, like, youtube, winamp, games, whatever is suposed to be giving out audio. It just goes completely silent. Sometimes it happens in the daw, and sometimes just randomly when using the computer normaly.
Have you monitored your CPU and Memory usage during regular use of the device? Even though it's new, your comp may have insufficient memory or processing power to run everything you want at once.
Quote by gorkyporky
It just goes silent. There is no sound coming out of it. All the lights are on. And it doesnt even crash in the DAW, it just randomly stops giving out sound, like, youtube, winamp, games, whatever is suposed to be giving out audio. It just goes completely silent. Sometimes it happens in the daw, and sometimes just randomly when using the computer normaly.

I had exactly same issues with my Scarlett 2i4 and they were caused by a too small buffer size which my laptop couldn't handle. So check your buffer size from Reaper, set it higher and see if it works.

Other options:

- plug scarlett into a different usb port (preferably USB 3.0)
- update your drivers (usb etc. The scarlett driver should work better than asio4all)
- if nothing else works, try disabling wireless network
Last edited by ChasenPipo at Jan 7, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
Look at usb2 vs usb3 connections, some interfaces don't work well on usb3.
Try different drivers, record you error and contact your manufacturer, after all why are you buying new?

I have it connected to the usb2 port. I guess i will try the usb3 just to see what happens.

Quote by Skullivan
Have you monitored your CPU and Memory usage during regular use of the device? Even though it's new, your comp may have insufficient memory or processing power to run everything you want at once.

I did not think of that yet, but im looking at it now. It seems that the CPU load sometimes jumps to 100%, since the laptop underclocks it by itself to save power. I didnt notice any correlation between the CPU load and the card dying yet tho. I have an i5 2.6GHz and 8GB ram, so i doubt that a few browser windows can overload that.

Quote by ChasenPipo
I had exactly same issues with my Scarlett 2i4 and they were caused by a too small buffer size which my laptop couldn't handle. So check your buffer size from Reaper, set it higher and see if it works.

Other options:

- plug scarlett into a different usb port (preferably USB 3.0)
- update your drivers (usb etc. The scarlett driver should work better than asio4all)
- if nothing else works, try disabling wireless network

Like i said, it doesnt happen in the DAW most of the time. In fact, it seems to be more stable in the daw. Im gonna try the buffer size thing anyway, i just have to figure out where to set it up. As for the drivers, i use the latest ones that i downloaded from focusrite's website. Gonna try the usb3 port just to make sure, altough i dont think it will help, since its a usb2 cable and a usb2 port on the interface itself.

Quote by chatterbox272
If this is happening on multiple interfaces, it sounds like there's a problem with the computer.

It also happens on multiple computers. It happened on my old desktop with my FastTrack, on the new laptop with the FastTrack, and now on the laptop with the Scarlett. Could i have the same problems on two different computers with two different operating systems?

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys, i will try these things out. If they dont work, im gonna take it back to the store.
It could just be poor driver settings. Since January 2013, I'd been having a similar sort of problem with my Line 6 UX1. It happened every few weeks or so and required a simple restart to fix it. In October last year, I decided to move to using an SSD so reinstalled Win7 on it. I haven't had the problem since. Not sure if it was the SSD or reinstall that did it, but I daren't mess with any settings unless it starts happening again
Set up your laptop properly RE: power settings. Turn off all power management you can and set everything else to the highest performance settings. Also, this sounds more like a horsepower issue. Especially with the scarlet. I would suggest upping your buffer and see what that does for you.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Im using the latest drivers from the Focusrite site, so ASIO.

Anyway, i basicly reinstalled all the drivers, and played with the power options, and i have to say, the thing is way way more stable. And yes, i also changed the cable, but i have no idea if its quality or not, its just a random usb cable that i got in a local store. Anyway, i only had one crash in the last two days, and that was probably because i put the computer into hibernation and turned it back on, instead of actually turning it off.

Right now i switched back to the fast track, and increased its buffer size, to see if it gains any stability. Honestly, if it turns out to be as stable as the Scarlett, im just gonna take Scarlett back to the store. I cant notice any difference in sound quality, and the only reason i actually got it, is because i wanted the thing to be more stable
Last edited by gorkyporky at Jan 9, 2015,