Ok, I've been set on this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-iron-label-s-series-six27fdbg-7-string-electric-guitar

for months. Has the features I want, and looks absolutely beautiful to me. However, I'm going to get my interface and start recording. If I get this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASIR27FD

That 250 bucks allows me to get some of the other stuff im wanting like ezdrummer or something to program drums to get song ideas done then before final mixing my buddy and I can pay for studio time to lay down the actual drum tracks.

Only difference in the guitar I see is I'm paying 250 bucks more for the ebony fretboard instead of rosewood and I like the looks of the six27 better. I'm afraid ill always feel like i settled, even though its the same. I much prefer ebony fretboards but rosewood is ok.

Just looking for some advice.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Its a matter of preference really. I prefer ebony myself, its just feel better so silky smooth. Imho nothing sexier than a black ebony fretboard with no markers. Love that natural Bubinga top pretty sweet.

If you feel like you are settling now you will most likely always feel that way. spend the extra dough and get what you realy want would be my advice.
Last edited by Tone is King at Jan 7, 2015,
That is what has kinda been my thought. My record on keeping a single amp was like four months because I always settled. Same with guitars, always trading. finally waited, got the Roadster, and I have not had one desire to part with it. They are pretty much the same guitar, but I'm afraid after the honey moon period with the sir27, Ill always miss that ebony fretboard. May just put off recording another month and go ahead and get it. Just really impatient kind of person, I keep thinking "i can have it all if i just get the sir27". But just don't know if I would be happy with it.

Another problem, NEVER seen the Bubinga one ANYWHERE to try. But with a return policy, im not too worried about it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I feel ya man, I tend to be impatient and impulsive at times , though i've gotten a speck better lately. I did the same thing with my first Les paul , i really wanted a traditional and had been gassing for a amp as well. figured with the money i would save buying a les paul studio instead i could get the amp too, did that , as good as the studio was it wasn't what i really wanted . in the end i sold the LP and the amp and lost a few bucks for the lesson.
I've learned that lesson many times, then forgot, learned again.........etc
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Well hopefully I won't end up learning the lesson again. I ended up getting the Sir27FD since I ended up having to put 700 bucks into unforeseen vehicle problems. Wasn't able to get the recording stuff but should within a few weeks. I can get over the looks easily, I'm just hoping the rosewood fretboard doesn't make me wish I'd have waited. Anyway, hoping it gets here tomorrow.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Agile has some pretty wicked neck-thru 7s mahogany body 5 piece maple/walnut necks, ebony fretboard with choice of Blackouts or 707s, quilt tops, Grover's etc.

$599

My buddy has one and the build quality is excellent. They also have a semi-custom shop that lets you choose from different features, woods, finishes, freatboard, scale, pickups etc and the price is still about the same plus the customs come with a case.

http://www.rondomusic.com/customquote.html

Tax time is coming and I've already designed mine soon as I get that cash I'm putting my deposit!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 15, 2015,
Yeah I've already looked into agile. Honestly, I like the feel of the ibanez neck alot. If I wanted something different, or better, I'd go Carvin.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
A guitar can be with you for a lifetime.

A few years down the road, what is $250? You can wait.

I know it's hard. Believe me. I passed up a trade today for a Bogner Alchemist. Because I know what I *actually* want. And as good as the trade was, I know deep down that I need to hold out and get what I know I want.

The waiting is terrible. But years later it won't matter.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I know, but they are the same guitar. I mean, two differences which the more I looked at it, I just figured I always like having backup guitars anyway. I was going to get the Six first but since these vehicle problems came up this week, I was forced to wait, or just get the black one first. Of course, I also end up having to wait on my interface, ezdrummer 2, mics, and headphones. Plus, both guitars will be indistinguishable in a recording anyway. I have my six strings up for sale to get the recording gear so playing the waiting game now on those.

I will own the bubinga finish eventually, and probably here in a few months as long as nothing else comes up.

Guitar is supposed to be here within a few hours so I'm excited. Plus all but two of my MANY, MANY guitars have been rosewood. I don't expect to hate it, but I'm sure when I do eventually get the six27fd, it will end up being my main.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Looks like the bridge may be different as well although that could simply be a typo. The ebony neck is definitely a plus, but I'm not sure it's worth that much extra. While I love the finish, I gotta say that the gold hardware combined + abalone binding + ugly black plastic around the switch all make it look a little tacky to me. But if you like the way it looks and think you'll continue to like the way it looks then that's all that matters.

Still I'd try to get my hands on both and see if the ebony fretboard really makes that much of a difference.
Last edited by icronic at Jan 16, 2015,
Yeah, I wish I was able to try them out. I went to 3 different guitar centers various local stores around my area and couldn't find one. Knoxville guitar center had like two 7s both schecter and 2-3 8s. Not even the 8 string version of these guitars.

Oh well, oh and I don't like gold hardware which was my only negative about the six but doesn't matter because the sir27 just arrived.

Looks pretty good actually. Nice is nice and thin as expected from Ibanez, bridge feels awesome. Only complaint which is VERY minor, is they must ship these expecting everyone to play drop G djent lol. I know its iron label series but damn are these some big ass strings. Even down a half step is tight and I played only acoustic for like the first 8 years of playing guitar. I order some EB strings with it to put on anyway so no biggie. Last three frets of the high E are the slightest bit sharp but I don't spend hours up that high anyway and they aren't that bad but should be mentioned. Action is perfect but since I'll be switching gauges a setup will be done anyway. Pickups are better than I thought. Cleans are beautiful and will be perfect for Scale the Summit type stuff and handle various effects well. Bridge is great on cleans and good on dirt. I feel Ill have to do a bit of tweaking on the mesa to be happy with the dirt but pretty good. I like low output pickups though so prob not for everyone.

/mini review. Sadly won't get to play more than a few min this weekend. I work night shift on weekends so 3 12 hour shifts starting tonight. I wanted to throw myself completely out of my comfort zone to come up with some new stuff and spark my creativity again and this will def work. I don't know one seven string song lol. Gonna start out taking old songs that are unfinished and start incorporating the low b in places to get used to it and hopefully feel like writing again instead of jamming on endless tool songs (as fun as that is) and not going anywhere musically. I just can't pick up a 6 string without wasting my playing time just jamming.

Anyway didn't think there was any reason to do a NGD with this thread here so that's it until I get more time with it and the honey moon period passes. Pics when I get time prob monday.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent